Holy fucking malware... HELP PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    lol

    ccleaner.com should get your registry back in order.
    roll XP back to a better date.
    boot into basic mode via msconfig. chances are you dont need half the shit that starts up everytime.
    good work though JGood. i doubt you're PC is fully clean too. best practice is to reformat. no way around it.
    Like Jason said, some variants of Vundo remove all of your restore points. Mine did.

    ccleaner doesn't do much for serious malware. It helps though. It didn't help detect or remove the Vundo malware variant that I had...

    You should config the programs that aren't supposed to be starting with Windows manually, not use msconfig. One of the things I learned.

    I think it is completely clean now. I posted my latest hijcakthis logs along with several other logs from good programs (ccleaner, sdfix, avenger, superantispyware, etc...), several tech's said it looks good with no traces of any malware, spyware, or viruses.

    Thanks for the help everyone.

    Leave a comment:


  • scabzzzz
    replied
    lol

    ccleaner.com should get your registry back in order.
    roll XP back to a better date.
    boot into basic mode via msconfig. chances are you dont need half the shit that starts up everytime.
    good work though JGood. i doubt you're PC is fully clean too. best practice is to reformat. no way around it.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by Mfever
    for the love of GOD!! im going through this right now!! Im a total computer noob and don't know what to do to get this thing off! somebody help.:(
    Originally posted by JGood
    Go to majorgeeks.com forums and go to the malware subforum. Then follow the "Read and Run Me" thread... you will remove nearly all infections within 2-3 hours IF you follow it properly.

    Leave a comment:


  • TDE30
    replied
    Mac = Quirky as hell.

    Vista = Worse than that.

    XP is where it's at.

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    buy a MAC!









    .

    Leave a comment:


  • Mfever
    replied
    for the love of GOD!! im going through this right now!! Im a total computer noob and don't know what to do to get this thing off! somebody help.:(

    Leave a comment:


  • TDE30
    replied
    Originally posted by JGood
    Go to majorgeeks.com forums and go to the malware subforum. Then follow the "Read and Run Me" thread... you will remove nearly all infections within 2-3 hours IF you follow it properly. That was my mistake, which drug this out over 24 hours.

    Reinstalling windows is that halfass shit that halfass "tech guys" do when they don't know what they're doing. That's why when everyone says that, it just pisses me off. When you reinstall Windows and the Vundo malware is still there, then what? You can reformat, but seriously, do you rebuild an engine if it doesn't idle right? No, you fix the CAUSE of the problem and prevent it from happening again with preventive maintenance.
    Yeah, I agree about the Windows reinstallation being halfass. But it gets to the point when you have troubleshooted (or troubleshot) for hours and hours, the Windows reinstallation usually overrides most of that. Like you said though, there are "lingering" viruses that stay in the system even after Windows reinstallation.

    Good to you for getting the computer back to normal.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    My computer is 100% back to normal.

    Originally posted by TheEtaUnderdog
    If you can, go to run and type msconfig. There is a startup tab where you can disable software from starting up on reboot. If that doesn't work do it on in safemode. If you can, download Avast! antivirus, it runs realtime and works as both adware and virus protection.
    msconfig was designed to be used as a troubleshooting tool, not a "daily" startup process control program. I used Avast in safe mode under admin and my user, also in normal windows, didn't detect any of the stuff I had, came back clean.


    Originally posted by TDE30
    Good to hear you a.) semi-fixed the computer and b.) learned a bit in the process. Had I run into a similar snag, the OS disc would be out and I'd be entering in the product key.

    I'll have to remember that combofix thing for the next time my laptop gets pron'd.
    Go to majorgeeks.com forums and go to the malware subforum. Then follow the "Read and Run Me" thread... you will remove nearly all infections within 2-3 hours IF you follow it properly. That was my mistake, which drug this out over 24 hours.

    Reinstalling windows is that halfass shit that halfass "tech guys" do when they don't know what they're doing. That's why when everyone says that, it just pisses me off. When you reinstall Windows and the Vundo malware is still there, then what? You can reformat, but seriously, do you rebuild an engine if it doesn't idle right? No, you fix the CAUSE of the problem and prevent it from happening again with preventive maintenance.


    Originally posted by E30Idea
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Get the free version. This will help nab small things you might have missed once your repair is done. He is a freind of mine and is local. If the free shit works for you I can send you a full version for shipping costs. My autoreplys dont work on rev and I hate searching for threads so send me a PM and let me know.

    Ryan
    SUPERAntiSpyware is the first step of the majorgeeks.com malware removal process, and does help clean some stuff. It didn't notice anything when my repair was done but I am keeping it on my hard drive for future use. Thanks for the offer, I may be in touch.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Originally posted by JGood
    Fuck that. Here I am, hours later, with a (mostly) clean PC.
    Ok there guy, relax.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30Idea
    replied

    Get the free version. This will help nab small things you might have missed once your repair is done. He is a freind of mine and is local. If the free shit works for you I can send you a full version for shipping costs. My autoreplys dont work on rev and I hate searching for threads so send me a PM and let me know.

    Ryan
    Last edited by E30Idea; 06-29-2008, 05:53 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheEtaUnderdog
    replied
    If you can, go to run and type msconfig. There is a startup tab where you can disable software from starting up on reboot. If that doesn't work do it on in safemode. If you can, download Avast! antivirus, it runs realtime and works as both adware and virus protection.

    Leave a comment:


  • TDE30
    replied
    Good to hear you a.) semi-fixed the computer and b.) learned a bit in the process. Had I run into a similar snag, the OS disc would be out and I'd be entering in the product key.

    I'll have to remember that combofix thing for the next time my laptop gets pron'd.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    Yes, but you're going to waste literally HOURS trying to hack all that shit out of the registry. Do a fresh install, and you will be much happier.
    Fuck that. Here I am, hours later, with a (mostly) clean PC. And I learned a LOT in the process.

    The guys at majorgeeks.com are awesome, and have a very thorough procedure available on their website.

    It took a program called combofix to clear the shit out. I'm still working with one of the guys to remove traces of crap that shouldn't be here, but functionality is 100% back to normal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Yes, but you're going to waste literally HOURS trying to hack all that shit out of the registry. Do a fresh install, and you will be much happier.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by TDE30
    Have you got the original OS software?

    If so, save all of your documents/programs to a flash drive, iPod, etc. and reinstall the OS. It sounds like whatever is on that computer is pretty catastrophic.
    Yeah, I backed everything up on DVD this morning, and I do have the XP disk (thanks Achtung!). But I'm not one to give up. I have this laptop to use and don't go back to school until September (at that point I'd need it, as I do classes online and can't rely on only 1 working computer), so I have time.

    Leave a comment:

Working...