Business practices of US Bank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business practices of US Bank.

I switched over to US Bank because B of A was a bunch of straight out criminals. Now I find out US Bank is no better.

I want to start out with the fact that it was I who made the first mistake on my account.
    I made an error of $2.83 on my account. I forgot to add a charge.
    The next day I check the account and it says I have $28. I know some thuings are going to clear. I spend a bit more that day and add $20.00 to the account late at night to make sure everything will clear.

I check the account today and I have 3 overdraft fees. One from two days ago that never should up on my account till today.
    meaning they let me go on spending knowing I don't have the money to cover the charges. Let alone the fact that the first overdraft fee lowered the account balance and hepled add two more fees.
    I'm fucking pissed. Not just because I made a small mistake but because these fuckers take full advantage of you when you do make a mistake.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

why do people flock to these big banks? i use a local, established credit union. they keep mah moneez safe, and never fuck shit up. i was abroad for 3 weeks, my ATM fees were like 50 cents. all my friends with b of gay or wells/wamu were paying 5-10 bucks per withdrawal. lame.
    sigpic

Comment

I actually love US Bank - but....

I just went through the same thing with US Bank a few months - I didn't realize how low that account was, made a $0.86 overbalance, knowing I was going to get fined (it was MY mistake) I deposited enough to cover it. BUT, then since I have automatic checking to savings transfer each month, they went ahead and dinged me again.

And yes, US Bank (and others?) will GLADLY let you spend and spend and spend - their thinking is "what if you were stranded and need gas?"

The kicker is they will let you ring up about $200 in purchases, and $100's of dollars in fees. It's somewhat new to the banking industry, as banks are looking for anyway they can to make money since everyone has free checking.

Don't even bother with the 1-800-USBANK customer service, unless you fell like venting. You have to go into the local branch, they are the only one that can make it happen. Basically in polite terms, tell that you were not aware of these rules they have, that the first overdraft is your fault, and will gladly pay it, but unless the bank wishes to cover the other overdraft charges, you'll be taking your money else where. The local bank will make the choice to eat the charge to keep you as a customer. (insert comment here and how you should have know the rules, blah, blah, blah - like anyone would sit down and read the 100 pages of fine print)

It's actually a federal regulation that they HAVE TO turn off your overdraft protection if you request it. I suggest you hide a $100 bill in your wallet - and let this be a lesson.

BTW, when ever you feel riped off by stuff like this just google: "business name" +sucks

You'll find tons of info - most of it angry and one sided, but then at least you are not alone!
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

ive been with US Bank for awhile with no problems.

Ive worked at banks, and you will find that they are all the same. No matter where you run, they all have differing overdraft policies, with an overdraft fee of between $25 and $35.

You are fucked either way.

Comment

heh, Chase has free overdraft protection if you have a credit card linked to the account. I accidentally signed up for ODP for my CharterOne and it costs $25/year and don't think it may be worth it for me... I only use that bank for hideaway checking and savings.

THAT, or just be better with accounting... or just pay all bills online / use credit cards.

I can't think of a time I used my debit card for anything but ATM withdraws. Foreign withdrawals were only 2-3% of the withdrawal with CharterOne. (good credit union feel and lots of locations and awesome useful hours and good savings rates, etc. free checks with best free checking and $100 for opening)

Credit unions have also pretty flexible regulations for car loans and low rates.

So why are people going with the bank that has naked old men in the ad?

p.s. Chase is F-ing annoying with their marketing but oh well...

Comment

Credit Unions FTW

My advice:

Open a checking account with a local credit union, but keep your savings in a high interest fund.

I work for a credit union that is local to my area and it is sometimes unbelievable the things we let slide for people. Like refunding their overdraft fees time after time. Plus you can't beat the customer service since we only have like 10,000 members to keep in check. Our fees are low and non existent for things commercial banks would charge much more for. "People over profits" is a popular phrase among credit unions.

The only downside is, is its hard for our interest rates (savings and loans) to be competitive with a commercial bank. Although we did just debut a fixed 7.9% APR Platinum Visa, which is pretty competitive.

I used to do my banking with Key Bank, but now its 100% at my credit union. Plus its nice being able to moniter my account directly from my terminal!
            Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
              B of A was a bunch of straight out criminals. Now I find out US Bank is no better.

I want to start out with the fact that it was I who made the first mistake on my account.

meaning they let me go on spending knowing I don't have the money to cover the charges. Let alone the fact that the first overdraft fee lowered the account balance and hepled add two more fees.
              I'm fucking pissed. Not just because I made a small mistake but because these fuckers take full advantage of you when you do make a mistake.
              After reading your post again, I must say:

Banks are there to make money. They make money off people who are idiots with money. You want to be a customer and therefore enter into contract to pay what they charge if you do want X service or make Y mistake. You knew this, and you should have kept track. Some places have instant pending charges, others don't show for a few days... it's not shady it's just how things are. And you'd be glad to be able to use the card in an emergency.

Not taking "full advantage" of your mistake would probably mean they wouldn't be in business to start with. Then you could be carrying cash in your pockets and hiding it under your mattress. At least you couldn't mistake the count.

Comment

Meh.

I still think it's slimy of them not to tell you that you can opt-out of the overdraft "protection"
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Fuck me running i can't get into another shitty bank experience thread. I was raped for 18 grand and a weekend of shit by wells fargo. Every time i tell the story it brings back plentiful amounts of suppressed rage.

Comment

i use HSBC :-) good stuff
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Suntrust baby. I always get out of overdraft fee's.
                      All you have to do is play the "I've been a customer for XX years and have all my money with you" card and you're fine.

Comment

I use Velocity

They are really friendly and helpful. I walked in and was out the door with a $3k loan for a new central a/c system in like 20 minutes.

Comment

All I'm getting from this thread is that people are pissed that the banks aren't holding their hands. Balance your checkbook... it still works with debit accounts. Keep track of your finances and you dont have to worry about overdraft fees
                          Originally posted by george graves

Are you kidding me? That nerd doesn't even know how his dick works, let alone a car.

Comment

two words:

Credit Union
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by TheEtaUnderdog View Post
                              All I'm getting from this thread is that people are pissed that the banks aren't holding their hands. Balance your checkbook... it still works with debit accounts. Keep track of your finances and you dont have to worry about overdraft fees
                              I would like to remind you that you are dealing with E30 owners...

avg credit score 600 or nonexistent!

Comment

Working...
                              X