No announcement yet.

Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I grabbed the Sharpmaker on Amazon and 2 days later (amazing for Canadian shipping) it's mine and so far I'm liking it. I put a cheaper knife to it first to test it out, put a decent enough edge on it relatively quickly that fillets newspaper. Switched over to my Kershaw and I couldn't get an edge at ALL. Did some reading, used a sharpie on the edge and found out the angle that was on it was waaaay off (wasn't a microbevel) and I wasn't even touching the edge of the blade yet. Here's to hoping I manage to put a proper angle back onto it without turning it into a 1" letter opener.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
      Well I grabbed the Sharpmaker on Amazon and 2 days later (amazing for Canadian shipping) it's mine and so far I'm liking it. I put a cheaper knife to it first to test it out, put a decent enough edge on it relatively quickly that fillets newspaper. Switched over to my Kershaw and I couldn't get an edge at ALL. Did some reading, used a sharpie on the edge and found out the angle that was on it was waaaay off (wasn't a microbevel) and I wasn't even touching the edge of the blade yet. Here's to hoping I manage to put a proper angle back onto it without turning it into a 1" letter opener.
      i grabbed a sharp maker awhile ago, inner to grab the ultra fine rods and some diamond stones for when i get something with better steel
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
        what are you trying to put on it, I normally run about 22* bevel for good pocket knives

One other question, and I cant seem to find any substantial info from Kershaws website about it, did this knife come with a hollow ground bevel..... If so that might be why your seeing a odd pattern with your sharpmaker..... Even if it did, carry on and take your time with what your doing and just reprofile to something your happy with and it will be fine.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I too use a sharpmaker and the ultra fine stones combined with practice will get you seemingly surgical sharpness.

I recently picked up my first Chris Reeve Sebenza. The quality is amazing. Knives have become a sickness for me. I started getting into high end productions and midtechs.

I love this little bastard, but I'm going to sell it to get a large Sebenza.

Comment

Sharp edge tools. Made a drill to do injector holes in fuel rail stock, one shot.

Drilled a hole in some scrap.

I haven't forged anything since 1993, and don't have pics. Made a cold chisel and screw driver in high school metalworking
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
              I recently picked up my first Chris Reeve Sebenza. The quality is amazing. Knives have become a sickness for me. I started getting into high end productions and midtechs.
              Damn, I'm a sucker for anything from Potatoland. I want one of these.

Comment

fairly sure most good BUCK knives that are made in the USA are from post falls. Yeah I have really wanted a C/R for a while now, but I think if I am going to spend that on a knife right now its going to be that one I posted a few days ago. I can always come back and get a sebenza almost anytime in the future...
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Glad this thread wad bumped. In the market for a slim >4" blade pocket knife. Gotta poke around the previous posts for some inspiration.
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

^

I am sure you know this but BE VERY VERY VERY VERY careful with NY state Knife laws. IIRC you guys have a "dangerous knife" Clause which basically can encompass anything the constabulary wants if they want to press the issue.... Quite frankly I know Assisted openers are not really illegal per-say but I think I would stick to a good frame lock that is NOT assisted open.

About a year ago I was staying in your town, while working in down near Hallsted PA, we had a welder get arrested for having a assisted opening benchmade by a Broome County mounty, that was just shy of the 4" max blade length. It was done under the guise of the "dangerous knife" clause....

William Pitt-

Comment

I personally haven't run into any of those issues yet but thats why I don't get extravagant with pocket knives. I just need a new daily as well as some good skinning and dressing knives. The bitch of it is that i'm pretty sure I can't have anything mailed into my county (Tioga).
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        I can always come back and get a sebenza almost anytime in the future...
                        That's pretty much what kept me away from them. Also all the hype over them kind of made me shy away. I got into that small Sebby on accident and my thoughts now are why didn't I get one sooner. The only thing I dislike is the size and the only reason that is an issue is that I already have numerous other knives in the same size category. It's probably a perfect edc for 95% of people.

That Spartan looks pretty rad though, I hadn't seen it yet. Only gripe I have with it is that I prefer a blade without any sort of coatings if I can avoid it. I'm not tier one so I don't need the the non-reflective tactical black :D. I do like the clip design though. I'm a dork for the little details added.

Comment

^

I agree when I was shopping last year for a new work knife, I really looked hard at a small and large Sebby. I could not bring myself to ever consider a pocket knife in that price range, since I buy all my knives to USE, I am not a collector that buys shit to leave in the safe I use them. Now I am really considering that Spartan I have hovered over the Buy icon on amazon several times now....... Yes I agree it would look much better with a nice stonewashed blade opposed to the coatings but I still think its very pleasing to the eye, especially with the G10 scales.....

Swanny if your trying to keep in on the D/L and under a 100 bucks or so a couple of interesting choices out there, the Kershaw Leek is decent choice but is an assisted.

The CRKT Large Drifter comes to mind with a decent steel and metal frame lock design
                          We create innovative, top quality knives and tools by working with the world’s leading knife designers.

if your looking for the more traditional liner lock 2 handed open kind thing the Black gulch or wild cat form Kershaw comes to mind for 50ish bucks as well
                          Get innovative technologies, top style, and quality materials. Wide range of pocketknives for everyday carrying, camping, hiking, hunting, work, and more.

Get innovative technologies, top style, and quality materials. Wide range of pocketknives for everyday carrying, camping, hiking, hunting, work, and more.

A benchmade Griptilian is never a bad option either for liner lock with a 154cm blade and I know can be found for less than 100 bucks almost ANYWHERE

Lots of other good options out there in your willing to look around and that retail for upwards of 300 for less than 2 from the likes of Spyderco, boker, benchmade, and many others. Hell even gerber and buck are making some decent offerings with more than basic 440 or 420 stainless if you look around

William Pitt-

Comment

I've owned two Kershaw Leek's in different sizes, both Snap-On versions, and the slide lock is plastic and broke very quickly, and really pissed me off. I wouldn't buy a third because of that flaw.

And, I'm guessing I must be on Blackbird M3's ignore/block list.

Comment

^

Really I have never had a onion designed kershaw, I didnt know they had plastic parts in them. Everyone I know that has one, has had nothing but good things to say. Thats good information....

I really like my bradley but they are getting even harder to find........

William Pitt-

Comment

My mistake, I said leek, but the larger is a Scallion 1620 RDSO, and the smaller is a Chive 1600 BRSO. But both broken. I never sent them back for replacement/repair, but one day I guess I will.

Comment

Working...
                                X