Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Trucks - Rivian, Cybertruck, Atlis, Lordstown

ELECTRIC TRUCKS

So with electric vehicles getting better everyday, and batteries getting better every day, the truck market is going to get some shake ups if the trucks can deliver range, towing, power, etc. This is going to be a fierce and competitive market. In my mind, Rivian is the clear front runner. The Cybertruck is polarizing, and is supposed to come in considerably cheaper, but Tesla makes promises that they can't always keep. I want them all to succeed though so we get the best products at hopefully, reasonable costs. Each of them in some ways are approaching different market segments, so it's not a straight comparison. I'm such a fanboy for the Rivian. If I could afford it, I would have already reserved/preordered one. It speaks to me, the design and practical features are smart. Like the incredible storage area just behind the cab, they designed a slide out electric cooktop/sink/kitchen. I love it. Their company culture, their mission, I'm a follower. Oh god, coming across like Doug DeMuro.

Atlis, Nikola, Lordstown aren't as far along but if they can deliver on what they say they can, again competition is good and good for the end consumer but they haven't shown off in person driving or demos with their vehicles really.

Just as a write this (as of an hour ago, my news feed is flooded with articles) Tesla is suing Rivian saying they poached employees and stole secrets but I'm not sure if Rivian should be concerned, heavy claims but not sure where this is going.

Anyways, links. I can add more companies as they emerge here.

Older article: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...pickup-trucks/

RIVIAN

https://rivian.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/rivianofficial/?hl=en - Instagram, lots of extra media here

Tesla Cybertruck

Atlis Motors

Lordstown Motors

Nikola Motors

Bollinger Motors

The Only Class 3 Commercial Electric Trucks on the Planet.

Hummer

Be the first to own the first of it's kind GMC HUMMER all-electric pickup and all-electric SUV. Choose between the electric truck or SUV and reserve yours today.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 08-06-2020, 09:45 AM.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

U forgot one Mr.

Be the first to own the first of it's kind GMC HUMMER all-electric pickup and all-electric SUV. Choose between the electric truck or SUV and reserve yours today.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Did y'all forget about the Ranger EVs? lol
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Let's not forget that Fjord and General Malarkey are both planning full size electrics on their usual chassis in late 2021 or 2022. I suspect that they will actually execute on it, and I'd also expect a smaller E truck from the big F no later than 2023. Could also see #23 bring over their big D or similar from the Asian market, but I think that's 50/50.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          Kinda, I was focusing on new platforms or stuff that is brand new. But I'm curious to see what comes of this, other than Lebron getting more money for advertisements.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Did y'all forget about the Ranger EVs? lol
          I did. But now I want to again.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Let's not forget that Fjord and General Malarkey are both planning full size electrics on their usual chassis in late 2021 or 2022. I suspect that they will actually execute on it, and I'd also expect a smaller E truck from the big F no later than 2023. Could also see #23 bring over their big D or similar from the Asian market, but I think that's 50/50.

Ford's deal with Rivian allows them to use the Rivian platform/skateboard tech either the whole thing or parts of it. I know there was some sort of co-development, but Rivian I assume is allowed to be first to market since it's their tech. The hybrid stuff Ford is coming out with is cool but with this topic I was more focused on the new players to the game. Your expectation is probably right on. With a new smaller truck coming, having an electric version makes sense.

Comment

According to media and Ford/GM they intend to build pure EV F150s and Sierras/Silverados no later than end 2022. I strongly suspect that these will utilize similar to existing chassis, and Ford might use the Rivan setup on another model, while GM will build off of their "Hummer EV" platform.

Clearly they are not interested in new players taking market share, thus the sudden push to develop truck EVs, even though trucks have always been the best platform to electrify. On that front, I'd love to see an EV light duty platform with a static generator on board to charge the system and provide job site power. Yes, I know Ford just took a big step towards that with the hybrid power point system.

Comment

That link has more pics of LAbron than the Hummer
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

That link has more pics of LAbron than the Hummer
                lmaooooooooo it does

I thought hummer was bought out by some chinese foos, but the website still is GMC
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Clearly they are not interested in new players taking market share, thus the sudden push to develop truck EVs, even though trucks have always been the best platform to electrify. On that front, I'd love to see an EV light duty platform with a static generator on board to charge the system and provide job site power. Yes, I know Ford just took a big step towards that with the hybrid power point system.
                  They've also been waiting for the battery tech to mature, and let Tesla, Rivian etc. do the R&D and put up the money to generate market demand before swooping in with their own cars built on recognisable nameplates and with established manufacturing capacity to crush the small operations. To their mind, it's just like the Tucker 48 all over again :) Whether it plays out that way, or the new manufactures actually jump them remains to be seen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tucker-48-front-logo.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	9940628

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I've always had an affinity for the Tucker 48.
                    I do things.

Comment

lmaooooooooo it does

I thought hummer was bought out by some chinese foos, but the website still is GMC
                      Exactly, I'm not really interested in stuff that doesn't have pre-order ability or renders, both of those things don't mean anything, but if 99% of the marketing material is Lebron dunking baskets... that's a fail.

Added Nikola, they just opened up reservations, again that doesn't mean much, they've had some bad press. I think they are in the back of the pack.

But again, more companies trying to own that space, the better the competition.

--------------

In Rivian news, as I'm such a fanboy... new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJ_...ture=emb_title

Short article: https://carbuzz.com/news/watch-the-r...LK9R3smrt_abuA

This was shot in Arizona a few weeks ago.

I've said it a dozen times, if I had the money to buy a Rivian, they'd already have reservation money from me.

Comment

Ewan McGregor's Long Way Up features Rivian R1T electric truck, debuts Sept. 18

The Apple TV Plus series will see the Hollywood star and his longtime pal Charley Boorman traversing South and Central America on Harley-Davidson LiveWire electric motorbikes supported by Rivian trucks.

LINK: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...avidson-debut/
                        I don't have AppleTV, but I'll be signing up for the free trial right before this debuts. The other series with Ewan and his friend Charley were very good. Taking it to the next level.

Comment

I don't really see the point of EV trucks, yet.

You can't really tow with them, sure a Rivian may have a 400 mile range...........what does it have towing a 24' enclosed trailer? 150? 200? I don't know, that never seems to be mentioned.

And if all you need is a bed to run stuff around town.................the difference between a base model F150 and an EV truck is what $45k? That's quite a premium, seems as though you'd never earn the difference back even when you include gas and maintenance on the F150.
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                            I don't really see the point of EV trucks, yet.

You can't really tow with them, sure a Rivian may have a 400 mile range...........what does it have towing a 24' enclosed trailer? 150? 200? I don't know, that never seems to be mentioned.

And if all you need is a bed to run stuff around town.................the difference between a base model F150 and an EV truck is what $45k? That's quite a premium, seems as though you'd never earn the difference back even when you include gas and maintenance on the F150.
                            Going to agree with you here, big time.

Trucks are about performing work. Work (towing, hauling, just plain being 'big') requires energy.

The energy density of batteries, even the most sophisticated batteries we have today, is simply not recognizable when compared with gasoline or diesel.

I can see folks who just want to daily drive a truck picking up an EV truck, but they are too impractical at this time for anyone who actually uses a truck for truck things.
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Going to agree with you here, big time.

Trucks are about performing work. Work (towing, hauling, just plain being 'big') requires energy.
                              PV trucks are about blending in/posing and if/maybe/possibly future use cases. Commercially used light/medium duty trucks just do too many miles to go EV right now. So, manufacturers are correctly targeting the personal vehicle market and marketing their features to appeal to those going to do that thing once while I own it sort of people.

The commercial EV market is in small vans.

Comment

Working...
                              X