Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you willing to sacrifice because of Global Warming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you willing to sacrifice because of Global Warming?

The climate change article made me wonder...

Since this has gone on the back burner for a while now, I'm curious what you think.

Is being eco-friendly a good idea? Yes. Is alternative energy a good idea (Nuke power!)? Yes. Does recycling make a lot of sense and should everyone do it? Absolutely. There is a lot of good to be done so we don't look like Russia or China more than we do. We do have a responsibility to keep our country clean and not needlessly destroy our environment, I think most people will agree to that.

With all of that nobal, moralist shit being said... are you actually willing to pay $2.00 more a gallon for gas because we don't drill? Are you willing to pay more for EVERYTHING because of the price of fuel? Are you willing to not heat your home because of heating oil being damaging? Are you going to stop using soap to wash your car? Are you willing to halt economic progress because of the overarching economic impacts of this "global warming" initiative?

I ask this because the reality of going green has a lot of real impacts and serious costs associated with it that most people probably aren't willing to endure (economic hardship, higher taxes, more government interference, etc.).

So take the poll - are you willing to give up driving, pay more for everything, and have the Government control more of your life because "we are destroying the planet"?
    Yes. Humans are killing the planet and I'll take the LNG powered bus.
    12.77%
    Maybe. I'm willing to pay more but I like my life.
    21.28%
    No - I think we should drill and combine that with alternative energy.
    14.89%
    No way. This Global Warming thing is BS - I'll recycle but that's it.
    46.81%
    Danny
    4.26%

The poll is expired.

PNW Crew
    90 m3
    06 m5

fuck global warming bullshit where people think it is because of humans. do we affect our environment? yes. does the planet go through cycles regardless of what we do? yes. people need to their own research on the subject and not believe everything they hear on tv. do people not realize scientists are out for money too? just because they are looking to better human knowledge doesn't mean they aren't capable of hyping something to allow more funding for their own needs/wants.

now, i am not saying who cares fuck the environment... i believe in recycling, i believe on trying to help the impact on the planet but not to a point where it hurts us either.

Comment

You would be a fool not to see that there are ways we can improve upon the way we pollute the environment. So yes.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Nope, if wage increase over the last 20 years had kept up with the increased cost of living, it may be a different story.

But as it stands, illegal immigration has done a number on "real" wage growth in this country.

I agree that all those goals are noble ones and we should try to acheive them, but at the cost of American Economic dominance and a retreating standard of living.

We have enough intelligent people between saving the environment and maintaining our way of life to make it happen.

Unfortunately, neither side is willing to budge.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I think everyone who picks up a sign and talks about alternative energy, should take a basic electrical circuits class. This way their arguments would be logical, because right most of the people I run into are complete idiots and deserve to be slapped.

Comment

Oh didn't say it earlier, I'm completely in favor of MORE nuclear power.

Standardized nuclear plants like France does.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Yea we need to lower our emissions/pollution. but what fun is driving a car when you hit the gas and you don't here the "vroom" of a combustion engine?

Comment

Originally posted by dkbmxer002 View Post
                people need to their own research on the subject and not believe everything they hear on tv.
                Can you provide the primary resources from which you have done your research to form such conclusions?
                Or are you a climatologist who was speaking in much more literal terms?
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Regardless of your stance on AGW, it cannot be denied that humans are having a profound effect on the environment. I have heard all the arguments about how Earth will survive anything we do to it and while they may be true, humans and other forms of life will not survive.

We are pumping huge amounts of poisonous chemicals into the air and water which is killing wildlife and causing cancer. We are clear cutting huge tracts of forest which are our principle source of clean air. Our backyards and lakes and oceans are becoming inundated with trash and sewage. We are sucking this planet dry of all of it's natural resources.

The solutions that people have been coming up with WILL NOT WORK because they pollute and use resources as well. Every car Tesla makes has literally thousands of gallons of oil used in the production. Same goes for every solar panel and bicycle. While it may lessen the impact, green tech is only going to prolong the inevitable.

The main problem here is not so much that some guy is driving an SUV to work every day, its that there are over 6 billion other people doing the same thing! There are too many people on this planet. The only solution is going to be a mass extinction. We are going to start seeing more and more shortages on all different resources from clean water, to wood, to oil, to food and it's because this planet only has a finite amount of resources and supply is not going to meet demand for much longer. Supply will go down, demand will go up, prices will go up until BOOM. Shit is going to hit the fan!

Comment

I should edit my original post...

My feeling is that most people are not willing to pony up when it comes time to foot the bill - I can't state as fact that people will not.
                    PNW Crew
                    90 m3
                    06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                      Regardless of your stance on AGW, it cannot be denied that humans are having a profound effect on the environment. I have heard all the arguments about how Earth will survive anything we do to it and while they may be true, humans and other forms of life will not survive.

We are pumping huge amounts of poisonous chemicals into the air and water which is killing wildlife and causing cancer. We are clear cutting huge tracts of forest which are our principle source of clean air. Our backyards and lakes and oceans are becoming inundated with trash and sewage. We are sucking this planet dry of all of it's natural resources.

The solutions that people have been coming up with WILL NOT WORK because they pollute and use resources as well. Every car Tesla makes has literally thousands of gallons of oil used in the production. Same goes for every solar panel and bicycle. While it may lessen the impact, green tech is only going to prolong the inevitable.

The main problem here is not so much that some guy is driving an SUV to work every day, its that there are over 6 billion other people doing the same thing! There are too many people on this planet. The only solution is going to be a mass extinction.
                      Everything in moderation.

I think it all comes back to the economic impacts. If in the short term we do things that get the system running and producing enough revenue to fund aggressive alternative energy development then I'm all for it. I think it's putting the cart before the horse to try and tackle something like this now and more-less cut off the supply of revenue that would ultimately pay for all of the things that could be done.
                      PNW Crew
                      90 m3
                      06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post

The main problem here is not so much that some guy is driving an SUV to work every day, its that there are over 6 billion other people doing the same thing! There are too many people on this planet. The only solution is going to be a mass extinction.

The effect we are having is yet to be QUANTIFIED vs natural solar/earth cycles.

It has been proposed by many scientists that the increased carbon dioxide levels in teh atmosphere (what plants use to grow) are going to be the only way to increase crop output to the levels needed to sustain future population growth.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                          Can you provide the primary resources from which you have done your research to form such conclusions?
                          Or are you a climatologist who was speaking in much more literal terms?

it wasn't online, did a paper a while back in school.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

agreed 100%

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

1+ so many people forget about nuclear power. I was just talking about this at dinner with my GFs family.

I walk and ride my BMX bike as much as I can. I also keep my right foot more in order, every bit helps.
                            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Nuke power is the way right now. Leave the alternative power sources to the independent companies where the real technology is developed. Once it's efficient enough then we can incorporate it.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
                              X