Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocking how much healthcare costs have risen in 60 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking how much healthcare costs have risen in 60 years!

Our fast-food culture has produced a population with widespread chronic illness and is a primary reason that health care costs are taking a devastating toll on just about everyone.

"Medical care costs in the U.S. have not always been this excessive. This year, we will spend more than $2.5 trillion on medical care. But in 1950, five years before Ray Kroc opened the first franchised McDonald's restaurant, Americans only spent $8.4 billion ($70 billion in today's dollars). Even after adjusting for inflation, we now spend as much on health care every 10 days as we did in the entire year of 1950."

Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

yeah well look at the amount of tech we have now, look at the life saving drugs, and procedures we have.

In the 50's to work on your heart they put you in a bath tube full of fucking ice. Now getting a heart bypass is like going to the barber and getting your hair cut. and there are may procedures now that used to involve taking most of your organs out and putting them on the table or in a pail, and cutting you stem to stern that now are done form 3 small puncture wounds and you are in and out in the same day.

Really I will take what we have now (thanks to all that spending) that anything we had in the 50's for fucks sake Penicillin was still a NEW state of the art thing back in the 50's. Penicillin was developed for the Military during WWII IIRC
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Buddy, did Darin give you that book of mine? Theres a whole chapter on cost increase contributers. And yes, it is staggering. But like "Sleeve" said, the sophistication of today's care is immense.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Yeah I'd take healthcare today over the 50's. Its so much better and all of you can pay my bill:)

Comment

Oh yeah, I realize technology has increased DRAMATICALLY, I just thought it was in interesting juxtaposition.

Originally posted by KenC View Post
          Buddy, did Darin give you that book of mine? Theres a whole chapter on cost increase contributers. And yes, it is staggering. But like "Sleeve" said, the sophistication of today's care is immense.
          Yes he did! I should be able to knock it out this week and send it back to you.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

as well as population increase
            Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-r..._b_754814.html

"Medical care costs in the U.S. have not always been this excessive. This year, we will spend more than $2.5 trillion on medical care. But in 1950, five years before Ray Kroc opened the first franchised McDonald's restaurant, Americans only spent $8.4 billion ($70 billion in today's dollars). Even after adjusting for inflation, we now spend as much on health care every 10 days as we did in the entire year of 1950."

Modern medical imaging equipment didnt exist 50 years ago. The revolutionary drug that has basically put a halt to chron's didnt exist 50 years ago. 50 years ago when you got aids you fucking died, there wasnt a cocktail of drugs that could keep the virus in check. Haha, Cancer? Sucked to be you 50 years ago.

People alive now will live longer than they did 50 years ago.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

Blame the uninsured. Thank imaging for saving hospitals.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

^^ Ryan, please provide proof of HIV/AIDS infection in 1950. Medical text preferred. Not saying it didn't exist, but, it's tough to claim people were dying of a virus that was unknown. For all I know, the COD was listed as "Wasting Syndrome".

Comment

farb, I think Ryans reference to AIDS was a generic reference to disease that we now have ways of treating, that we didnt have 60 years ago
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

A few parameters that can contribute to the rising costs.

- More people now than 50 years ago (175 million vs 300 million)
                      - People in better health back then. More exercise. Less obesity. Etc.
                      - People were dying younger. Medical system not keeping them alive at all costs.
                      - Doctors, nurses, hospital fees were cheaper.
                      - Practicians were not sued. Not needing to pay $200k annual premiums, which is charged to the clients.
                      - Medical insurance was not a money grossing industry back then as it is the case now.
                      - Seems that people have a weaker immune system today.
                      - Some diseases have disapeared (like polio), but some new ones have appeared (you name them)
                      - Lots more drugs now available than 50 years ago. Invest in pharmaceutical stocks.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians. ;-)
                      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

farb, AIDS made the list I think in 1981 but they expect it to have come about around 1908.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          ^^ Ryan, please provide proof of HIV/AIDS infection in 1950. Medical text preferred. Not saying it didn't exist, but, it's tough to claim people were dying of a virus that was unknown. For all I know, the COD was listed as "Wasting Syndrome".
                          How would they prove it's existence in retrospect?

Any of you guys want to guess the average profit margin of a hospital? More importantly, which insurance provider has the lowest reimbursement rates?
                          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                            farb, AIDS made the list I think in 1981 but they expect it to have come about around 1908.
                            I doubt it very much. When people started dying of AIDS in North America in the very early 1980s, they had no clue what it was. If there had been documented symptoms linking to an origin in 1908, scientists around the world would have been very quick to determine what it was. Just sayin'
                            Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                              I doubt it very much. When people started dying of AIDS in North America in the very early 1980s, they had no clue what it was. If there had been documented symptoms linking to an origin in 1908, scientists around the world would have been very quick to determine what it was. Just sayin'

you know.... just sayin

Comment

Working...
                              X