No announcement yet.

Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure, but does that mean we should not care if we make it happen at an accelerated pace?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There is no acceleration, except in the crazy temp/co2 forecasts. The big fight a couple pages back about a graph should not be arguing warming/cooling, rather the fact that the "cooling plateau" does not fit any of the whack projections that make you think we're all going to die in a couple years.
      We are barely able to predict the weather for the following week. We forecast hurricanes just in time for people to evacuate. We cannot predict earthquakes. What makes someone think they can predict what the Earth will look like in decades? Some unsound (supposedly even fraudulant) alarmist forecasts?

Did none of you guys go to elementary school in the early 90's? We were taught that it is proven science that the US would be totally under water. Because I lived in Denver, I remember joking about having the ocean only a couple hour drive away. Florida was gone from the map, as was Cali and most of the Southwest.

Comment

you must have went to a pretty crummy school because they never taught that here, and we're basically the PNW version of Berkley, CA. They started talking about global warming in the '80s when the hole in the ozone layer was still growing and before CFC's were banned.

again with the short term trends. it's like arguing with a wall. I wonder what will happen when we hit another strong el nino like 1998.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It was part of the whole Captain Planet propaganda going on at the time.
          And I forgot to say their projection was 10 years, ~2000-2002. By 2010 we were supposed to be crippled as a civilization by the changes.
          This was all based on the IPCC that just keeps pushing these projections further and further into the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post

Did none of you guys go to elementary school in the early 90's? We were taught that it is proven science that the US would be totally under water. Because I lived in Denver, I remember joking about having the ocean only a couple hour drive away. Florida was gone from the map, as was Cali and most of the Southwest.
            So wait, all of your anti-global warming anger is based on growing up and being taught by hippie teachers in elementary school? Your extent of education is grade school and never was able to gain the ability to learn to investigate science on your own and not accept someone elses claims as fact?

Dude get over yourself and your hatred of a skewed elementary lesson.

Comment

There is no acceleration, except in the crazy temp/co2 forecasts.
              Then you haven't been paying attention to your surroundings. For those that like to boast about using common sense over scientific data, just pay attention to what is happening around the world. Common sense tells me some crazy shit is happening at an accelerated pace that wasn't happening 20 years ago. You are either too young to not notice a difference or you lack a since of awareness, probably the latter.
              sigpic

Comment

We are barely able to predict the weather for the following week. We forecast hurricanes just in time for people to evacuate. We cannot predict earthquakes.
                Um. You think earthquakes are weather? I vastly underestimated your ignorance.

And the capability of science to predict and warn about hurricanes and tornadoes has improved greatly and have been able to save lots of lives. One of my good friends works for the NOAA and I see the impact their work has. Of course, biased haters of science don't appreciate that.

Comment

it's all evil magic!

earthquakes are weather like stock charts are climate science.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                    Um. You think earthquakes are weather? I vastly underestimated your ignorance.
                    I recommend you have a look at what paragraph/sentence structure is and what the use of a period means.

Comment

you were equating scientists being unable to predict earthquakes with climate science predictions. I think your meaning was pretty clear.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I recommend you have a look at what paragraph/sentence structure is and what the use of a period means.
                        Uh huh. So in a paragraph about climate forecasts, you just randomly interjected an unrelated comment about earthquakes?

Right...

Uneducated guy hates all science, randomly attacks unrelated fields of it.

Comment

The point is either you believe the predictions or you don't. If you do, than either explain the unpredicted plateau and its miscorrelation or acknowledge that science is unable to predict the Earth's long-term weather/temp, thus we shouldn't tollerate fraudulant schemes like cap/trade, which are fundamentally based on these hockey sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
                            Then you haven't been paying attention to your surroundings. For those that like to boast about using common sense over scientific data, just pay attention to what is happening around the world. Common sense tells me some crazy shit is happening at an accelerated pace that wasn't happening 20 years ago. You are either too young to not notice a difference or you lack a since of awareness, probably the latter.
                            i knew someone would bring this up
                            first, global warming would kill us
                            then it was climate change to make it politically palatable
                            then climate change (global warming) was also responsible for cooling trends
                            no it's responsible for crazy weather, even though thee has been a reduction in extreme weather events worldwide
                            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The point is either you believe the predictions or you don't. If you do, than either explain the unpredicted plateau and its miscorrelation or acknowledge that science is unable to predict the Earth's long-term weather/temp, thus we shouldn't tollerate fraudulant schemes like cap/trade, which are fundamentally based on these hockey sticks.
                              So... Because climate scientists cannot predict earthquakes then cap and trade is a fraud??

At least by throwing in blind hatred of all climate science, you underline that your position is based on ignorant anger instead of facts or reason. The ability to predict hurricanes has improved, as you used to have only a fraction of the time to evacuate before the storm hit. Quadrupling lead time allows more people to escape and survive, as well as cities to prepare and try to limit damage.

Backed by UW–Madison-developed techniques for measuring wind speed and direction with data from weather satellites, incredibly complex prediction models run on ever-more-powerful computers.

“In 1992, South Miami had about one day’s lead time that Hurricane Andrew would hit them,” Velden said. “For Katrina in 2005, New Orleans had 48 hours. With Hurricane Sandy, the models gave New Jersey more than four days to prepare.”

That foreknowledge of time and place saves lives and property

"This was arguably an unprecedented forecast, with five to six days of lead time," Velden said Tuesday. "The models gave the National Hurricane Center adequate time to fine-tune their forecasts and saved a lot of lives."
                              "Our center is known for developing cutting-edge satellite instrumentation for monitoring the atmosphere," said Velden, the senior researcher.

In fact, a prototype for a new instrument offering even higher resolution than is now available recently was field-tested aboard the Global Hawk, an unmanned NASA drone, during two hurricanes, Velden said.

"It gave us outstanding data," he said. "It flies at 70,000 feet - over the storm instead of into the storm."

Flying above a storm allows the new instrument, called the scanning high-resolution interferometer sounder, to peer into the environment of the storm, providing even more specific information on temperature and moisture - two key variables for numerical weather prediction models, Velden said.
                              Last edited by rwh11385; 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

The reason why scientists cannot accurately predict the exact temperature rise is because our actions largely determine the amount of rise there will be. And there are also still some feedback loops that aren't completely understood and therefore their effect cannot be accurately calculated. But as more scientific data comes in, and computer modeling becomes more sophisticated, the projections become more accurate. Couple that with some sophisticated statistical analysis from some mathematicians and you can narrow it down even further to a more accurate range. These aren't the computer models from the 1980's or 90's. They're getting pretty damn accurate and in fact even the older ones have correctly predicted the sea level rise almost exactly in most places.
                                It's like saying you're upset that Hurricane Katrina was predicted to be a category 4 or 5 hurricane when it hit New Orleans and it was only a category 3 by the time it made landfall. So I guess those darn weather forecasters were wrong and we shouldn't plan for any hurricanes because it costs money to prepare. Genius.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X