Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
    now stick your hand over 1 panel and let me know what the reading is. Should drop significantly.
    Solar panels are setup in series so if one has problems the rest are effected.

did experiment in my energy systems class where we tracked data of a solar panel. I asked the teacher "what happens if there is shsde on it" he told me to stick my finger over the corner of the panel and the power output dropped to like 20% of what we were getting before that. bird shit will do the same thing.

unless you set each panel up seperate with its own inverter, etc. which costs more $$ and not worth it.
    looks like you glossed over the part where I said each panel is individually addressable. yes, they have their own inverters. it's not really that expensive, even if you backed out the $10k tax rebate. no, the whole thing isn't going to go down because you stuck your thumb over a panel. that's asinine.

it's actually pretty cool to watch the power output of the panels online, you can see where there is a shadow over part of the grid as a panel will put out slightly less power than it's neighbors, but with 18 panels the total output isn't affected much. having individual addresses is critical as you can see if a panel isn't working the way it's supposed to.

also, you're saying the panels are useless without individual inverters, but at the same time it's not worth having them? which is it?

did I mention the whole setup is made right here in the USA? Coincidentally, in the town I live in. Also, they have a 20 year warranty, and will last 25 years. The payback period is only 5-6 years. still not worth it?
    Last edited by nando; 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sooo is global warming still over?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        looks like you glossed over the part where I said each panel is individually addressable. yes, they have their own inverters. it's not really that expensive, even if you backed out the $10k tax rebate. no, the whole thing isn't going to go down because you stuck your thumb over a panel. that's asinine.

it's actually pretty cool to watch the power output of the panels online, you can see where there is a shadow over part of the grid as a panel will put out slightly less power than it's neighbors, but with 18 panels the total output isn't affected much. having individual addresses is critical as you can see if a panel isn't working the way it's supposed to.

also, you're saying the panels are useless without individual inverters, but at the same time it's not worth having them? which is it?

did I mention the whole setup is made right here in the USA? Coincidentally, in the town I live in. Also, they have a 20 year warranty, and will last 25 years. The payback period is only 5-6 years. still not worth it?
        But dude, he played with a panel for one day in class, so he is an expert on solar panel technology and can make sweeping generalizations about them. Who cares about your ability to actually observe your friend's unit in operation? You could be part of the conspiracy!

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

Comment

i said they are made in series so they suck if you get any kind of fouling on them but if you use individual inverters for each panel it will isolate each one in case 1 is fouled and help minimize the loss of power. Anyways they still suck ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
          "I wanna see da boat movie"
          "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

i said they are made in series so they suck if you get any kind of fouling on them but if you use individual inverters for each panel it will isolate each one in case 1 is fouled and help minimize the loss of power. Anyways they still suck ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
            This is what you said:
            well nando just wanted to let people know that solar panels are very inefficeint unless pretty much cleaned everyday and don't have any shade at all on them, even shade the size of your finger will kill them and dirt/fouling. For how much money they cost they sure do suck.
            Anyway, so glad you are so highly literate and academic in your discussion of the subject matter. You must be at the top of your middle school class.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
              This is what you said:

Anyway, so glad you are so highly literate and academic in your discussion of the subject matter. You must be at the top of your middle school class.
              :giggle:

I worked at a facility where we put solar panels on the roof of a warehouse. While they of course work best when 100% clean, all they truly required was a once-yearly wipe down. Even after a full year of sun, dust, rain, etc they only lost about 8% of their power generation abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                This is what you said:

you sure don't read further than what you want to read do you? Just like the media. Spin it your way.

Comment

if you would have kept reading posts you would have seen this dipshit
                  unless you set each panel up seperate with its own inverter, etc. which costs more $$ and not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    :giggle:

I worked at a facility where we put solar panels on the roof of a warehouse. While they of course work best when 100% clean, all they truly required was a once-yearly wipe down. Even after a full year of sun, dust, rain, etc they only lost about 8% of their power generation abilities.
                    But but but but ... Thizzle's assumptions and generalizations don't agree with your real world experience and data!

Thizzle, I quoted your entire post there where you made your generalized statement. It wasn't until nando pointed out you were wrong that you modified your story. Either way, you are non-technical in your discussion and rely on simplistic general statements, like the media.

Keep up trying to tell people who have experience in real life they are wrong based on what you learned one day in class, and name calling. It really makes us take you seriously.
                    Last edited by rwh11385; 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Ignore list ftw

Comment

well nando just wanted to let people know that solar panels are very inefficeint unless pretty much cleaned everyday and don't have any shade at all on them, even shade the size of your finger will kill them and dirt/fouling. For how much money they cost they sure do suck.
                        lol whatever. find me a single genset that you can purchase once, do virtually no maintenance (hose them down twice a year?), never re-fuel, and get power out of indefinitely. when you compare them that way they're a bargain.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

here i'll help you out since your incompetent

didn't give exact numbers but yes a finger is going to be more then dirt, come on people.

ok. convincing argument.

I can log into my co-worker's solar panels and read his power generation stats for a 9x2 array. seems to be working just fine. each panel has it's own IP adress and shows individual power output tracked in real time. It's an overcast day in WA and he's currently producing 1000w (at an average rate of 6.5kwh). he's on track to produce 400kwh in october, in a northern lattitude state that sees long stretches of nothing but clouds/rain.
                          he didn't say individual inverters although he might have implied it but i didn't see it.

now stick your hand over 1 panel and let me know what the reading is. Should drop significantly.
                          Solar panels are setup in series so if one has problems the rest are effected.

did experiment in my energy systems class where we tracked data of a solar panel. I asked the teacher "what happens if there is shsde on it" he told me to stick my finger over the corner of the panel and the power output dropped to like 20% of what we were getting before that. bird shit will do the same thing.

where above do you see nando saying individual inverter?

i might have glossed over but he didn't specifically mention it but I'm not mad at nando, just communication error and implying things like my fouling. Yes there is a differeance from a body from dirt, it should be common sense one will effect it more than the other. don't need to spend time on showing it because it's obvious.

so STFU rwh
                          Last edited by Thizzelle; 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

you call people incompetent but can't tell the difference between your and you're?

so it's not worth doing but it makes the entire array worthless without? you want to re-clarify your position?

Around here people clean their roofs and gutters once a year. not a big deal to hose down a few panels while you're at it. Hell I had my old house done by a pro service for $100, and it was a 1920's house with scary tall peaks. $100 barely buys you a nice ladder, plus I hate climbing on roofs.

Anyways they still suck ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                            Got any more brilliant lines?

I disagree with a lot of what GWB and Fusion write but at least you can understand what they're trying to say..
                            Last edited by nando; 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes it's not worth it if they are in a series and you have a branch shading one panel, is it that hard to understand? they are very susceptible to anything other than a nice perfect condition. even temp, humidity, etc effects them. Just not worth it, now you probably want me to do the math etc etc but have fun doing it yourself.

Comment

why would you put your panels under a tree? that's absolutely retarded.

I don't have to do the math. I can look at the power generation, in real time, of a real solar array installed on a house a couple miles from where I'm sitting.
                                Last edited by nando; 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X