Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Poilce strike again

Originally posted by article
    Our guests were excited to spend an evening together. The food was prepared exquisitely. The long dinner table, under the direction of dear friends, was absolutely stunningly beautiful. The music was superb. The stars were bright and life was really good.

And then, …

for a few moments, it felt like the rug was pulled out from underneath us and my wonderful world came crashing down. As guests were mingling, finishing tours of the farm, and while the first course of the meal was being prepared and ready to be sent out, a Southern Nevada Health District employee came for an inspection.

Because this was a gathering of people invited to our farm for dinner, I had no idea that the Health Department would become involved. I received a phone call from them two days before the event informing me that because this was a “public event” (I would like to know what is the definition of “public” and “private”) we would be required to apply for a “special use permit”.

If we did not do so immediately, we would be charged a ridiculous fine.

Stunned, we immediately complied.

We were in the middle of our harvest day for our CSA shares, a very busy time for us, but Monte immediately left to comply with the demand and filled out the required paper work and paid for the fee. (Did I mention that we live in Overton, nowhere near a Health Department office?) Paper work now in order, he was informed that we would not actually be given the permit until an inspector came to check it all out.

She came literally while our guests were arriving!

In order to overcome any trouble with the Health Department of cooking on the premises, most of the food was prepared in a certified kitchen in Las Vegas; and to further remove any doubt, we rented a certified kitchen trailer to be here on the farm for the preparation of the meals. The inspector, Mary Oaks, clearly not the one in charge of the inspection as she was constantly on the phone with her superior Susan somebody who was calling all the shots from who knows where.

Susan deemed our food unfit for consumption and demanded that we call off the event because:

1. Some of the prepared food packages did not have labels on them. (The code actually allows for this if it is to be consumed within 72 hours.)

2. Some of the meat was not USDA certified. (Did I mention that this was a farm to fork meal?)

3. Some of the food that was prepared in advance was not up to temperature at the time of inspection. (It was being prepared to be brought to proper temperature for serving when the inspection occurred.)

4. Even the vegetables prepared in advance had to be thrown out because they were cut and were then considered a “bio-hazard”.

5. We did not have receipts for our food. (Reminder! This food came from farms not from the supermarket! I have talked with several chefs who have said that in all their years cooking they have never been asked for receipts.)

The only way to keep our guests on the property was to destroy the food.

We asked the inspector if we could save the food for a private family event that we were having the next day. (A personal family choice to use our own food.) We were denied and she was insulted that we would even consider endangering our families health. I assured her that I had complete faith and trust in Giovanni our chef and the food that was prepared, (obviously, or I wouldn’t be wanting to serve it to our guests).

I then asked if we couldn’t feed the food to our “public guests” or even to our private family, then at least let us feed it to our pigs. (I think it should be a criminal action to waste any resource of the land. Being dedicated to our organic farm, we are forever looking for good inputs into our compost and soil and good food that can be fed to our animals. The animals and compost pile always get our left over garden surplus and food. We truly are trying to be as sustainable as possible.)

Again, a call to Susan and another negative response.

Not only were we denied the use of the food for any purpose, to ensure that it truly was unfit for feed of any kind we were again threatened with police action if we did not only throw the food in the trash, but then to add insult to injury, we were ordered to pour bleach on it.

Now the food is also unfit for compost as I would be negligent to allow any little critters to nibble on it while it was composting and ingest that bleach resulting in a horrible death. Literally hundreds of pounds of food was good for nothing but adding to our ever increasing land fill!

When a farmer cannot prepare a farm-to-plate home cooked meal for friends and guests without intervention by a government agency we have a problem – one that goes against every founding principle of this nation.

This is just the latest example of the police state moving into every facet of our lives. They want it all. Total control. They want to know who you talk to, what you say, where you meet, what you eat, and what you’re thinking. Failure to comply will unleash a beast so powerful and with tentacles so widespread that it can, with no qualms or conscience, destroy your life, liberty and right to pursue happiness.

Laura the farmer and her healthy organic food eating friends are domestic terrorists for attempting to serve bio-hazard materials for consumption. And, if you haven’t given your government a reason to be considered one yet, we can assure you that you’ll do something soon enough. They’re watching, ready to pounce at a moment’s notice.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Family/community farms are the spawn of evil. They must be controlled. Specially those that produce *unregulated* food.

Worried about bacteria...wash your fucking vegetables. Doesn't matter where they come from.

Regulations take place of common sense and rationality.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

the fact it was a PRIVATE event for INVITED guests is what bugs the shit outta me. So the state defined it as public, I guess if all of our thanksgiving spreads should be subject to govt inspection as well huh.................................
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

How did they even find out the event was taking place?
        Originally posted by BAlbertiX
        your my boy blue!

Comment

I think my first response would have been "oh I'm terribly sorry you somehow got the idea this event was public. We are aware that proper permits must be secured for public events. Let me assure you this event, however, is indeed private, by invitation only. Anyone who shows up uninvited will be denied entry"....and then seen what the inspectors said. An element of the story that bugs me is that the teller of the tale seems not to have absolutely required the gov't to define the difference between a "public" and "private" event and I personally would not have budged until I had all the info in hand. And as far as keeping people on the property, with my clear definitions and rules in hand, might have dragged the inspector around and made her watch as I personally "invited" every single guest to get in their car, leave, and return to our "private" gathering. There's gotta be a loophole there....they just didn't look for it-because apparently they didn't ask enough questions ahead of time.

Paying for the permit opened them up to this ridiculousness. It was an invitation to be inspected. It is, quite plainly fucking horseshit. It should have never happened, but we all know the best way to deal with the gov't is to find a legally defensible reason not to.
          Last edited by mar1t1me; 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM.

Comment

the first place I would have gone was to my gun cabinet. "excuse me... but I believe you're tresspassing. Please leave now".
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              the first place I would have gone was to my gun cabinet. "excuse me... but I believe you're tresspassing. Please leave now".
              Not after the de facto admission of "yep we're holding a public event" occurred...because now they have been told an inspector was coming.

If they had declared it was private all along, and an inspector showed up, they could have said, "I'm sorry, but we are not open right now-we are holding a private event. Come back tomorrow." I'll bet there's language in the law that requires all inspections to be held during normal hours of operation. Probably an exclusion for "paid-permit public events" or something like that. These farm operators needed to know the letter of the law. They got steamrolled because they didn't.

Comment

Looks like a great reason not to post an event on facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                  fuck facebook.
                  fixed that for you. :p

my wife has the FB app on her phone.. she makes fun of me for using the "dumb" browser version. I'm not much for tinfoil hats but there's no way I trust that company with all the data that can be accessed by my phone.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

my wife has the FB app on her phone.. she makes fun of me for using the "dumb" browser version. I'm not much for tinfoil hats but there's no way I trust that company with all the data that can be accessed by my phone.
                    QFT

i warn my daughter and son about putting too much in sites like facebook
                    you have a digital history that follows you forever, which is not good.
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I got rid of it because they seemed to believe Facebook needed to be installed as a service and was having all kind of wake lock bugs killing battery life.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure Al Qaeda eats organic food, therefore organic food promotes terrorism.

:hitler:

Comment

Did you guys look at where the article came from? Give that site a look over and see if your really think this happened.
                          i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

there are movies of it happening
                            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

the entire situation is ridiculous. why do people in government positions make a big deal over nothing just to shit all over everything?

Comment

Working...
                              X