whats the fuss all about?
he's a 1%'er, he has it coming to him
just making things fair and all
MegaUpload shutdown US gov.
Collapse
X
-
Pennsylvania, considered one of the most corrupt states in regards to food stamps, has something less than a 2% fraud rate. So less than 2% of people are wrongly on food stamps.
I hate to go all high-horse, because I used to do it to, but what you call "sharing" is actually stealing. And don't give me some crap about "those people wouldn't have bought it anyway."I guess details are not very important from that high horse of yours either...http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12010...MOSTEMAILEDBOX
"They point to federal statistics that show that Pennsylvania has one of the lowest food-stamp fraud rates in America: one-tenth of 1 percent."
Sorry, I estimated WAY high.
Something with 46 million plus recipients being paid directly from our government(ie our tax dollars), should probably be watched after a little more closely than some privately owned web sites. These hand out programs are disgusting and what is one of the many things wrong with this country.
source: http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/29snapcurrpp.htmLeave a comment:
-
Heh. I still marvel at that way you can watch a NZ news show from the EU or US or whatever.
I also remember a time when there was no internet though, so...Leave a comment:
-
^ Their harrasing adverts and slow bandwidth make me want to download a pirated copy of the interview.
Good watch though.Leave a comment:
-
yeah, i definitely feel like there is more to this story if they are being charged with money laundering and crap like that.
they slipped. pure and simple. should have kept their servers overseas and their money clean.Leave a comment:
-
If that is the legit story then I would agree in taking them down.
But to have a community that large, it would be hard for me to believe that the company itself had to pay anyone to bring material to the site.
I would most likely guess it was Obama's way of paying back Hollywood for all the donations and media coverage he has gotten and will still get. Nothing more!
Well then at least quote me entirely where I said it was bullshit but the charges/shutdown was not just down hosting copyrighted material.Leave a comment:
-
Quoted for truth.I'll tell you why: because the RIAA and MPAA have been at this bullshit for years. They treat us like criminals, meanwhile artists have to sue them just to get the money laid out in the contract. This has been going on since before the cassette tape got popular. I have not bought an album signed by a company that's part of the RIAA in the last ten years, and I will not until they modify their business model to recognize that the internet is a very good thing, not just something that exists to hurt their margins. The artists I like, I see in concert. I buy tshirts. This directly gives them more money than 10,000 CD sales would ever net, without funding RIAA. The days of re-buying the same album because a new format came out are OVER. They need to fucking get over themselves and realize that the magnitude of piracy is a direct result of their own ineptitude.
With movies I like to support my local theatre, which unfortunately has the side effect of supportiung the MPAA. But I don't have to buy DVD's. I can use netflix, which supports alternative new business models. I would be happier if I could somehow show support for something remotely innovative without money trickling back to the MPAA but I like movies and I hope they get a clue.
The music industry is making more money than ever, despite cries from the recording industry that the sky is falling. They are totally full of shit.
Here's the bottom line: Copyright only protects your name being on the work. You don't own the content, how it gets viewed, who gets to view it, etc. Once it's out in the wild, just fucking forget any sense of controlling it. It's NOT THEFT. It's sharing information.
One thing they need to realize is that people downloading content are not cheap bums that don't have $5. It's all about the convenience and having entertaiment on demand. iTunes is proof.
I can't say for sure, but I think there are very few of those who use the totally free downloads. I know people who are happy to pay a years subscription to rapidshare. If anyone wants to win this battle, they'll have to cooperate with the "enemy" and create a worldwide legal content system with prices that the majority is obviously willing to pay.
Donation based films have also started popping up by the way.Leave a comment:
-
If that is the legit story then I would agree in taking them down.
But to have a community that large, it would be hard for me to believe that the company itself had to pay anyone to bring material to the site.
I would most likely guess it was Obama's way of paying back Hollywood for all the donations and media coverage he has gotten and will still get. Nothing more!Last edited by Vedubin01; 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM.Leave a comment:
-
I don't know 100% as a storage company owner. I can't say.
You selectively quoted me though. No comment on the company paying people to get and then upload copyrighted material? Let's use the same analogy. Let's say you own a storage unit and you paid people to go out and find cocaine and store it at your units... that is what allegedly was happening.
I was just about to say this, you've shot yourself in the foot with your own analogy. Maybe we should go after Google too for providing the means to search for kiddy porn as well?
I'm not condoning megaupload in particular, I'm condemning complete shutdown's of websites which host trillions upon trillions of bytes of data who quite simply could never police all their content.
That is a totally different issue. Megaupload wasn't a search engine to find copyrighted material(like PirateBay). They are hosting it. Google is not hosting kiddy porn.Leave a comment:
-
I was just about to say this, you've shot yourself in the foot with your own analogy. Maybe we should go after Google too for providing the means to search for kiddy porn as well?
I'm not condoning megaupload in particular, I'm condemning complete shutdown's of websites which host trillions upon trillions of bytes of data who quite simply could never police all their content.Leave a comment:
-
Playing Devil;
So you are saying if I owned a Storage Unit company, I would be responsible for everything stored in those units I rent out?Leave a comment:
-
I really like what this dude says... Its long winded, but fucking SPOT ON. I love AZN's
Leave a comment:
-
Truth.
People will justify their actions to the ends of the earth as long as they're on the beneficial end. Even when they know it's illegal. Usually it starts with, "they would make more money if it was free".Last edited by joshh; 01-21-2012, 03:44 AM.Leave a comment:
-
True it IS stealing and it shouldn't be happening, but shutting down websites which don't 100% monitor or turn a blind eye to what is being streamed or hosted by their servers is bullshit when a lot of what they're doing is legit stuff. They're trying to circumnavigate due process, they want absolute control without an authority to answer to. They essentially want aboslute power to control what is and what cannot be posted online, fuck monoplizing the internet.
First off you have to monitor what you are hosting in all reality. A similar situation would be you own a warehouse and you allow people to store stuff. Oops there is cocaine in there. "I work from home" is not a valid excuse there.
Second in this situation there appears to be more going on here than just hosting of some copyrighted material. Cash/Money/Funding allegedly has been exchanged for copyrighted material. Now of course innocent until proven guilty I fully support but there might just be more going on here than hosting some files.
So long story short might want to hold out judgment until all evidence is placed on table. My initial reaction to this is 100% bullshit and I will stick to that opinion but do want the whole story.
And I do not support SOPA or PIPA because it truly is too wide stretching. Looking to garner huge control and power of the law. It's too broad in it's current form.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: