Discrimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discrimination

I was having a discussion earlier about gender rating which is the practice of taking gender into account when determining health insurance premiums. Apparently women actually do cost more to insure and pay more than men for identical plans. States are beginning to crack down on this which I am sure will expand nation wide soon enough especially with the ACA now coming into effect.

Essentially I said this was stupid because there are economic reasons for this, not purely sexist reasons. For example, women live longer on average which adds considerable financial strain to the system during probably the most medically expensive times of their lives. But all I kept hearing from the other party was that this was discrimination, this was discrimination, this was discrimination. And I couldn't understand how this was discrimination and why it was being viewed as such a bad thing other than someone unhappy that they had to pay more.

Then she brought to my attention that the word discrimination applies to any sort of recognition of differences between two groups.

This really pisses me off because I have always thought of discrimination as having a negative connotation because there was some sort of illogical reason, or no real reason at all for the discrimination. It is definitely used that way by the media and by the majority of people. In reality though, it is any sort of recognition of differences.

So I guess this means that any sort of recognition of differences between two people is a bad thing? Why shouldn't I view certain other people as different, and not like me? Why is it only okay to view everybody as equal? I would rather put a bullet through my head than live in a world where everyone is "equal".

Any thoughts?

In today's PC world we are meant to believe that everyone is equal in ALL respects, not just equal under the law as the Founders had intended. After all, it just isn't fair that God, or nature if you prefer, didn't bless everyone with the exact same abilities and talents so it is up to the elite among us to try and MAKE the laying field the same. Talk about playing God...There is too much of a tendency for people to think of different automatically as better or worse. Yes, technically the definition of discrimination isn't necessarily bad. I think we would all say we have a discriminating taste in cars since we all like E30s...
    I could go on for hours about the dire straights modern American society has fallen in to since just after WW2...but I don't want to be thought of as an ass hat so I will just say I agree with you.
    sigpic'87 335i

Comment

How are states going to crack down on this?

For instance, next year at work, they are raising premiums for smokers. If you cost more, you SHOULD pay more for your services. I don't understand the problem.

As far as discrimination, it's just like the word Racism. Racism is actually the belief in a genetically superior/inferior race..............a la Hitler.

Bigotry is not liking someone because they are black.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        If you cost more, you SHOULD pay more for your services. I don't understand the problem.
        yep.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

How are states going to crack down on this?
          I was wondering the same thing. The more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that it won't be an easy fix. Am I right in thinking that the market will always discriminate? No amount of legislation is going to change that.

Comment

My car insurance rates are higher because i'm a man.(all else equal except gender, men have higher car insurance rates than women)
            So they are ok with having lower car insurance rates because of gender but not ok with higher health insurance rates because of gender?:loco:

If you cost more, you SHOULD pay more for your services.
            +1 again
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

results of the modern PC age no more no less
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

They are discriminating, its their job!! Its this is okay then whats not? I have cancer I want they same rate as someone without it. They're discriminating against people with cancer.
                I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                  They are discriminating, its their job!! Its this is okay then whats not? I have cancer I want they same rate as someone without it. They're discriminating against people with cancer.
                  Oh no, someone with an expensive medical condition is paying more than a healthy 20 year old! We can't have that, it makes too much sense!

Comment

^^

thats partially why 0 care wont work either

No its not discrimination, its economics

Edit: h0lmes gets it why cant you???
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

White guilt?
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

^

gtfo

William Pitt-

Comment

1/2 of me is guilty? ^^

Comment

Women have higher useage of healthcare services. Annual gynecological exams come to mind.
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                              stop choosing that sort of life style /sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                              X