When CCW saves peoples lives thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joshh View Post
    Many bear charges are stopped just from the sound of the gun.
    How many bears have you encountered in person? If the answer is none, forgive me if I don't take you seriously. I'm more than willing to humor you by reading any stories of friends of uncles or any other gun propaganda you'd like to share.

There's a reason the government body in charge of forests and wildlife in your gun loving country side with me. What do they know huh? Not guns!

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    brown bear shit has bells in it.
    Funny story, forestry here has had to tell tourists to leave the bells at home. Inconvenient for us, bears are not only huge but quite intelligent. They've now learned that if I chase the sound of this bell food will conveniently be placed on the ground in the middle of this trail :P

Originally posted by randomsv650 View Post
    I typically carry pots and pans around with me when in the woods, it proves more effect than a .45 ACP :rofl:
    Are you sure you're brave enough to even venture back into the foods what with those terrifying black bears?! I hear they travel in gangs, support democrats and don't believe in god.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post

Are you sure you're brave enough to even venture back into the foods what with those terrifying black bears?! I hear they travel in gangs, support democrats and don't believe in god.
      no no no, you're talking about liberals! it's ok, easy to confuse the two. the foods are pretty scary though.

I grew up biking, dirtbiking, camping, and fishing in the ADK's. I can manage OK.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yet you're terrified of what are essentially rodents? Epitome of manliness.

Comment

And, back on topic, lets forget about big scary bears for now, back to CCW.

I usually carry in movie theaters, did before the shooting, and do now. Glad to see this guy was not charged in the end.

THORNTON, Colo. — Authorities dismissed charges against a man who was arrested while carrying a gun into a movie theater.James Mapes has a permit to carry a gun. He had it strapped to his wai…
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Why the fuck are peopled scared of an individual carrying responsibly in a place where it's perfectly legal to? I'm with you, that's dumb as fuck.

It's like a YouTube video I saw of a cop stopping a guy for open carrying where it was ok to.

Someone start the carebear countdown and pass out hugs.

Comment

How many bears have you encountered in person? If the answer is none, forgive me if I don't take you seriously. I'm more than willing to humor you by reading any stories of friends of uncles or any other gun propaganda you'd like to share.

There's a reason the government body in charge of forests and wildlife in your gun loving country side with me. What do they know huh? Not guns!

These guys definitely got their hearts started...got mine started just watching...I gues the guide's muzzle blast was enough to make her change her mind.

Credit to someone else...Leon Lorenz fired a single gunshot into the air, scaring the grizzly bears away as they charged towards him. (CBC) A B.C. filmmaker ...

You really need to do more research and bear in mind (pun intended) you're talking to outdoor people and gun lovers.
              Last edited by joshh; 08-10-2012, 08:46 PM.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VdxHvQqsk

You really need to do more research and bear in mind (pun intended) you're talking to outdoor people and gun lovers.
                You're definitely right and can now discount the opinions of myself and professional opinions of those in charge of preserving that wildlife because of one incident. Keep polishing your guns convinced you're right while the people in the know state otherwise. At least sleeve admits the usefulness of spray, the only other person in this thread I'd believe has ever encountered a grizzly and has an opinion not forged through gun magazines and NRA meets.

Comment

You're definitely right and can now discount the opinions of myself and professional opinions of those in charge of preserving that wildlife because of one incident. Keep polishing your guns convinced you're right while the people in the know state otherwise. At least sleeve admits the usefulness of spray, the only other person in this thread I'd believe has ever encountered a grizzly and has an opinion not forged through gun magazines and NRA meets.

LMFAO...I didn't say not to use spray. Most bear charges are mock charges anyways. If a bear wants to eat you, your precious spray isn't going to do shit and the gun is going to be more effective...if you can hit the bear.
                  Last edited by joshh; 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

LMFAO...I didn't say not to use spray. Most bear charges are mock charges anyways. If a bear wants to eat you, your precious spray isn't going to do shit and the gun is going to be more effective...if you can hit the bear.
                    Have anything to back up that claim? I have an endless supply to support mine. Everyone has an opinion, bring something of substance to the table.

Canadian and U.S. researchers announced Wednesday that they found the spray stopped aggressive bear behaviour in 92 per cent of the cases, whether that behaviour was an attack or merely rummaging for food. Guns were effective about 67 per cent of the time.”
                    Article by Expeditions Alaska guide-owner Carl Donohue on how effective and why bear spray is a must for extended backpacking trips in grizzly bear country

Comment

Have anything to back up that claim? I have an endless supply to support mine. Everyone has an opinion, bring something of substance to the table.

http://www.expeditionsalaska.com/ram...effectiveness/

Here I'll post more of it so the rest of us can see what a fucking joke that story really is.

Canadian and U.S. researchers announced Wednesday that they found the spray stopped aggressive bear behaviour in 92 per cent of the cases, whether that behaviour was an attack or merely rummaging for food. Guns were effective about 67 per cent of the time.”

The news report in the Canadian Paper is here. From the actual report itself, ” Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. “ The study looked at incidents involving brown or grizzly bears, black bears and even 2 polar bear incidents. What’s also important is that in each incident where the person/s using bear spray suffered some injury, those injuries were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization).

Here’s an abstract from the actual report:

“We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20 (28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90% for black bears, and 100% for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bear-inflicted injuries (n = 3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In 7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country.”

Pretty easy to pick and choose which incidents pepper spay "worked" in. Give it another 100 years.
                      If you think pepper spray is an end all for a grizzly or angry bear, you're a fool. Just the same for guns and bears taking a few high caliber rounds and still mauling the target.

Take something with you you know you're proficient with...and have a back up. You still might be fucked...all depends on the incident.

Comment

I never claimed it to be the end all, a bullet is a very effective tool at stopping what's in front of it. I simply stated that guns are not nearly as effective against large bears as gun owners might think they are and that they are ignorant to the effectiveness of sprays. You calling it pepper spray is a shining example to your ignorance, if you think the two are the same please go into the woods with a 2-ounce can of pepper spray and enjoy trying to get a thin stream of spray into the bears face in the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to empty the can. I'm sure it was just a misuse of words, but it leads me to believe you don't know wtf you're trying to argue...and just arguing for the sake of it. Anything to promote firearms right?

Comment

I never claimed it to be the end all, a bullet is a very effective tool at stopping what's in front of it. I simply stated that guns are not nearly as effective against large bears as gun owners might think they are and that they are ignorant to the effectiveness of sprays. You calling it pepper spray is a shining example to your ignorance, if you think the two are the same please go into the woods with a 2-ounce can of pepper spray and enjoy trying to get a thin stream of spray into the bears face in the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to empty the can. I'm sure it was just a misuse of words, but it leads me to believe you don't know wtf you're trying to argue...and just arguing for the sake of it. Anything to promote firearms right?

You're not serious are you?

Find Bear spray in Alaska. Bear Spray orders for Alaska. You may find bear spray by visiting one of these retailers.

Comment

You calling it pepper spray is a shining example to your ignorance
                            I'm curious, what is the best non-pepper spray bear repellent?
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                            1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                            1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                            1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                            1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                              When CCW saves peoples lives thread.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                                I'm curious, what is the best non-pepper spray bear repellent?
                                Cute, josh has a parrot.

My point was that everyday pepper spray and bear spray are completely different things, rightly so most brands market it as bear spray/repellant.

Still have nothin to back up your claims of it being useless I see. I'd be surprised to learn you didn't pray to your guns too, what with the total blind faith you put in them.

Comment

Working...
                                X