School me on obamacare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
    I'm not asking why on a personal level. You are a hospital. Why must you charge so much?
    Dude, it's economics. People constantly complain about the "greedy healthcare companies charging whatever they want". That is just horseshit and shows a complete lack of understand of the economics of it all.

Hospitals are expensive to build, equipment is expensive, insurance is expensive, electricity is expensive, good doctors are expensive, research and development is expensive, fraud is expensive, lawsuits are expensive. And one of the biggest factors is obese scum bag drug addicts using the system for free which raises the cost for the people that actually pay for their procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
      Hospitals are expensive to build, equipment is expensive, insurance is expensive, electricity is expensive, good doctors are expensive, research and development is expensive, fraud is expensive, lawsuits are expensive.
      Not so much.Those are all expected expenses.

And one of the biggest factors is obese scum bag drug addicts using the system for free which raises the cost for the people that actually pay for their procedures.
      Close, but not quite.
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I'm not asking why on a personal level. You are a hospital. Why must you charge so much?
        Because you can.
        1985 BMW 325e
        1997 BMW M3/4/5
        2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Originally posted by e30e View Post
          Because you can.
          Can? The average hospital in the US operates with a .5-3% profit margin. "Because they can" is a stretch.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Close, but not quite.
            So, you already knew the answer?

If it's not one of my previous answers then it is simply because there are lots of unhealthy people using the system.

A 100 dollar a month premium is all fine and dandy, that is if you're only using 1200 bucks a year in coverage (plus deductible of course). But when you have mass numbers of people with low premiums and low deductibles receiving care equal to 10x what they pay, then that is a problem.

Comment

i think his close but not quite might be referencing how doctors charge patients with health coverage several unnecessary procedures to cover the people who cant pay.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Our biggest problem is there is an entire industry extracting their own profits between us and actual health care that is flat out unnecessary. We need a single payer, government funded health care system with private doctors hospitals. We need Germany's system.

Comment

<--- raises hand

Turf. I know. I know I know. Call on me call on me ...............
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Cliche Guevara View Post
                    Our biggest problem is there is an entire industry extracting their own profits between us and actual health care that is flat out unnecessary. We need a single payer, government funded health care system with private doctors hospitals. We need Germany's system.
                    Let me tell you what...if Medicare and Medicaid are any indication of the possible success of a single payer system then we're fucked. Hospitals only stay in business because of group health plans. Medicare and Medicaid RARELY cover cost. Uncle sam asks hospitals to write off any negative balances. If the public would cough up the cash by way of increased taxes it might work - but 4 years later the fools will vote for any asshole that promises lower taxes.

Need a working example? Stroll through any VA. If you want uninspired care then have the government pay for it.

If it's not one of my previous answers then it is simply because there are lots of unhealthy people using the system.
                    A 100 dollar a month premium is all fine and dandy, that is if you're only using 1200 bucks a year in coverage (plus deductible of course). But when you have mass numbers of people with low premiums and low deductibles receiving care equal to 10x what they pay, then that is a problem.
                    You're thinking about this on a micro level.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      <--- raises hand

Turf. I know. I know I know. Call on me call on me ...............
                      ...Yes?

Comment

Need a working example? Stroll through any VA. If you want uninspired care then have the government pay for it.
                        as you know, we have the highest costing health care per capita in the world. and it's not ranked all that highly, either. having denmarks or germany's health care system would be a great idea IF we had the same attitudes as those people.

we dont. in denmark they have up to 63% income tax and they're quite happy. it's a social attitude vs taxes and working for the government that we really need to change.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Let me tell you what...if Medicare and Medicaid are any indication of the possible success of a single payer system then we're fucked. Hospitals only stay in business because of group health plans. Medicare and Medicaid RARELY cover cost. Uncle sam asks hospitals to write off any negative balances. If the public would cough up the cash by way of increased taxes it might work - but 4 years later the fools will vote for any asshole that promises lower taxes.

If I want a workign exaple I'll look at Germany's, it's been working brilliantly for decades. Those fuckers can even get spa treatment!

Comment

This is fun. large Employer mandate implementation pushed back to 2015. Seems the 0 is going to try and protect his fellow dems in the mid terms from throngs of pissed off recently laid off or underemployed voters thanks to the real world consequences of his stupid law.

If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Pretty sure you would fault him for moving it out or if he kept the date.

Comment

Conveniently moved to just after the mid terms................

Co-inky-dink I think not, its purely a political move, that also signifies how this stupid law will end up hurting more than it helps

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X