X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes are too low

it's not the spending, it's a revenue (tax) issue
    coming to an e30 near you;

The devices would track every mile you drive —possibly including your location — and the government would use the data to draw up a tax bill.
    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
    Sir Winston Churchill

not happening in an e30. It's likely these plug into the OBD2 port...
    I like cats.

Comment

Bullshit. We have road tax and the roads are still crap. Payed highways ($70 anually), highways are still crap. The money goes into other stuff.
      America, borrow from the EU. They have plenty funds for roads.

But anything electronic is bound to be cracked. We have toll gates for trucks. All you have to do is cover the gizmo with aluminium so it doesn't subtract credits.

Comment

saw didn't England try to get something like this introduced awhile back, i don't think anyone went for it also
        heres your guy

he's from Ex- Soviet russia
        Last edited by Herr Faust Schinken; 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM.
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

Or they could just have someone check the mileage when you register your car every year.

I'm astounded Libertarians are on board with gov't tracking, I realize they support use-taxes, but this is a bit too much for me.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

It wouldn't have to be OBD. You'd need a digital odo. Although I don't know of many cars with digital odo, without obd. My DD is a small van that was used by a logistics company and has an RS232 device that tracks milage. The technology is probably 15 years old. But they used it to make sure employees didn't use the cars for personal stuff and to track mpg.

Comment

But wait, when you drive more you consume more fuel there by paying more road use taxes??????
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

How about we stop mandating cars get XXXX average MPG all the time, then people will use more gas, and thus pay more in taxes.

VA had a extra tax on hybrids for this purpose, but IIRC it got repealed this year.

Fuck more taxes. They can take their black boxes and shove them.

Also make those stupid mopeds pay to be registered like cars. Those things are pesky and get in the way, and don't get me started on the asshole bikers here who won't move over and get piss when you want to pass them. Clogging up our roads and not paying a penny for they're maintenance.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  But wait, when you drive more you consume more fuel there by paying more road use taxes??????
                  Well, if the all dolts on the Right would let gas taxes have been raised, or initially indexed to inflation, we might not be looking at this.

But inflation has gone up quite a bit in the last 20 years + increased constructions costs and material costs that have outstripped it.

I suspect you will still be happy to work for the same amount of money the next 20 years regardless of your purchasing power?
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

So...will I get busted for tax evasion when I ride my bike to work?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                      he's from Ex- Soviet russia
                      so.. russia? i didn't know there was a non-ex-soviet russia.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

clearly years of fiscal mismanagement is not to blame. seriously, its not like we are building these infrastructures from scratch, if they are running a deficit then they are probably spending more on admin and perks than actually using the funds for its intended purpose

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                          clearly years of fiscal mismanagement is not to blame. seriously, its not like we are building these infrastructures from scratch, if they are running a deficit then they are probably spending more on admin and perks than actually using the funds for its intended purpose
                          They never use funds for the intended purpose. Social Security, anyone?
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Wait, we have to pay for the stuff we want? Bullshit.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
                              Wait, we have to pay for the stuff we want?
                              While I appreciate the sarcasm, we are not paying for things now. Just borrowing more.

Gotta keep your constituency happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X