I don't think being prepared for a natural disaster is crazy. having a bunker filled with 10,000 rounds of ammo and a 5 year supply of dried food is a bit extreme, but there's always the possibly of being without power for an extended time.
it's been more than a decade but we had a winter storm knock out power for almost 2 weeks back in the '90s. fortunately our house was heated with a wood stove so we were able to keep warm and cook, and we still had water. it still sucked though. also it was a blizzard so you couldn't drive anywhere to get supplies even if you wanted to.
actually I probably need to be better prepared, especially with 2 small kids.
having worked at a grocery store, people get used to there always being food there. I kind of have a theory about people who basically think that food availability is infinite because there always is more at the store. What they don't see are the 25 semi trucks filled with food that show up every week to keep the shelves stocked. If the shit truly hits the fan, those shelves would be empty in a matter of hours and if the supply chain is hit it could be weeks before there's anything to replace it with.
actually what would be truly crazy is not having even a basic level of preparedness. it's not like none of us saw what happened after Katrina.
Bugout/Disaster Prep. Thread
Collapse
X
-
Do you make the hats for your two-year old or does he/she do that him/herself?You obviously don't have a family with children that look to you to keep them safe. That was the point that I decided I needed to take this seriously. It's easy to say "if things went to shit I wouldn't want to live anyway" but try telling that to your 2 year old that just wants to stay warm/cool with something to eat/drink. It goes back to the whole taking responsibility for yourself thing that so many people don't consider a worthy attribute anymore. You can troll it all day long, but being prepared to care for your loved ones shouldn't be a fringe mentality.
Actually, I just read the thread. I only read the first post before and thought you guys were loonies. I still think you're loonies, but being prepared is obviously a good thing.Last edited by einhander; 09-16-2014, 07:26 AM.Leave a comment:
-
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's especially something that someone needs to address if they live in places where, if something were to happen and you are not prepared, you would ultimately be f'd. I don't have children but I have a wife and 2 dogs. Even with them I have the feeling that it's upon me if something were to happen. I couldn't imagine that kind of level of responsibility if kids were involved. To be honest, if shit were to go to the fan, I hope it is before my wife and I somehow have kids because I admit I would not be able to handle that kind of responsibility and still come out sane.You obviously don't have a family with children that look to you to keep them safe. That was the point that I decided I needed to take this seriously. It's easy to say "if things went to shit I wouldn't want to live anyway" but try telling that to your 2 year old that just wants to stay warm/cool with something to eat/drink. It goes back to the whole taking responsibility for yourself thing that so many people don't consider a worthy attribute anymore. You can troll it all day long, but being prepared to care for your loved ones shouldn't be a fringe mentality.Leave a comment:
-
You obviously don't have a family with children that look to you to keep them safe. That was the point that I decided I needed to take this seriously. It's easy to say "if things went to shit I wouldn't want to live anyway" but try telling that to your 2 year old that just wants to stay warm/cool with something to eat/drink. It goes back to the whole taking responsibility for yourself thing that so many people don't consider a worthy attribute anymore. You can troll it all day long, but being prepared to care for your loved ones shouldn't be a fringe mentality.Leave a comment:
-
Einhander here again to derail another thread. I take it relatively seriously and Arizona citizens should too considering that if anything were to happen then Phoenix would be a deathtrap, especially during the summer. It is not sustainable without the services that are already being strained the way they are today especially with how large the population is. After living in the country areas of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio nearly my whole life where you could easily sustain your lifestyle and family from the land I can't help but feel that sense of security missing living out here in Phoenix. I do plan on moving back there in a couple of years but until then, I'd like to keep myself open to the possibility. Unless if the odds are 0%, eventually it will happen, maybe not in my lifetime, but it will happen.Leave a comment:
-
-
I had the "good fortune" to experience hurricane ike back in 2008. the power at my house was out for over a month. it really sucked ass. it was pretty hot for october. fortunately, the water and gas worked so we could cook and shower.
I am not a doomsday prepper by any means but i have been looking at buying an inexpensive rv for my wife and i to take cheap vacations in.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
Just checking in, I am sure most of you know where I stand on this........Leave a comment:
-
Vincent, Interesting. I think it comes down to what you can do immediately at your residence over a period of time (i.e. not all at once on a credit card for example). A couple of weeks of dehydrated food, water from the grocery store, a filter that can hook up to your hotwater heater or the faucet. Most other stuff is just common sense ... batteries, first aid kit, medicines, important documents, common sense firearms for self defense, etc ... You certainly don't have to be privileged to own all that stuff. Bunkers, hundreds of guns, etc ... not necessary in all but the most remote of issues.Leave a comment:
-
-
lol que?
My bag is filled with pretty much the basic essentials. Ammo for my .45, MRE's, crank radio, water. The basics.
My dad has a trailer on one of his properties, filled with 55 drums of dehydrated food and other essential items, stupid amounts of ammo and firearms in a gun safe. Although, he is "priveleged."
He is by no means a dooms day prepper or a nut. He just likes to have the upper hand in survival and other natural disaster problems. I guess living in Alaska for a bit gives you a better idea of survival of the fittest.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: