Bugout/Disaster Prep. Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugout/Disaster Prep. Thread

So after keeping up with the world events I've been finding myself wanting to finally start on some king of bugout preparation. I've been meaning to for sometime but never got around to it. Almost all of my friends back in Indiana had some kind of preparation.
    I'm curious to see if any other R3Vers have some kind of bugout preparation including bags, supplies, vehicles, guns, etc. that you have stowed away in your storage/closets waiting for the time when you need to use them. I've talked to my wife and a Cherokee ZJ or WJ is in the near months. Also looking for other useful advice. Plus I live in Phoenix so if anything were to happen I'd be almost f'd if not prepared.
    Last edited by slaterd; 09-19-2014, 10:05 AM.
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Normally I would say that prepping for a worldwide problem of such magnitude is crazy. But then I heard that China is making brand new E30s, so you never know.

Helpful hint, Costco sells pallets of water and freeze dried foods of many types, some of which I tried and are surprisingly not disgusting. It's also the perfect time to buy a carbureted E30.

Comment

I have a bugout bag with a couple hunting knives, clothes, camp stuff, botany book, and other random things. Plus my mosin, and plenty of rounds.

All spent, $350. Any more and you're just defeating the point really.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        g. It's also the perfect time to buy a carbureted E30.
        Those EMPs though.

Comment

Would be nice to have a dirt bike and a backpacking pack filled for a good while trip.

Comment

In before the trolls start trollololololing.

My family and I have been "recreational prepping" for a few years now, have a cabin up north with a healthy amount of supplies for our entire immediate and semi-extended family to be taken care of for about 6 months if needed. Bug out bags, basic food/water storage, self defense and a basic bug out plan are all important living a metropolitan area, especially one like Phoenix were we do not have any natural disasters to speak of so our population is extremely unprepared. First sign of issues, GTFO.

BTW, I absolutely hate Doomsday preppers... the show picks the biggest nutjobs they can find and edits them into bigger nutjobs for ratings and lols. Kinda gives a bad name to those that are prepared minded, but whatever.

Comment

^^^ yes but it exposes weaknesses and some strengths in some defenses.

Living in south FL, you kinda got to prep for natural disasters. Being with out power and water for 2 weeks or more is common during harder hit storms. Of course my family has a "bug out" place or our farm that has enough land, food, and resources to supply several families at 1 time for quite a bit of time.

If you have never been in a disaster where local utilities and services dont work for a week or more. You get to see just who prepped and who did not. You see during this point in time, money does not mean much when you are looking for Gas, food, and water.
              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ParsedOut View Post
                In before the trolls start trollololololing.

BTW, I absolutely hate Doomsday preppers... the show picks the biggest nutjobs they can find and edits them into bigger nutjobs for ratings and lols. Kinda gives a bad name to those that are prepared minded, but whatever.
                Me too. They really seem to pick out the cream-of-the-crop with that show. There's a difference between prepping for some kind of disaster as a just in case thing, but I've seen some families where they have weekly drills, their kids could be qualified to be a green berret, $100,000's being thrown into bunkers, etc. That's a little too far. I'm just wanting to get a kit together and have a jeep prepped up just in case. I plan on using the jeep for romping anyways on the weekends. I've been meaning to get back into that since I've lived here (4 years) but never got to it.
                Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                ^^^ yes but it exposes weaknesses and some strengths in some defenses.

Living in south FL, you kinda got to prep for natural disasters. Being with out power and water for 2 weeks or more is common during harder hit storms. Of course my family has a "bug out" place or our farm that has enough land, food, and resources to supply several families at 1 time for quite a bit of time.

If you have never been in a disaster where local utilities and services dont work for a week or more. You get to see just who prepped and who did not. You see during this point in time, money does not mean much when you are looking for Gas, food, and water.
                I know exactly what you mean. I used to live in southern Indiana. Several years back, the mid-west had a massive ice storm that tore through the area. My house is in the middle of nowhere and we were already on a sketchy power grid. Even just regular storms we would experience partial black outs. But with this ice storm the entire Cincinnati , Northern Kentucky, and Southeastern Indiana area had power outages for around 2 weeks. Obviously the city was immediately restored. Luckily my house had a fire place. We had to resort to cooking our meals in the fireplace while wrapped up in 3 layers of comforters for a little over a week. Eventually my parents had my sister and I go to my friend's house (everyone was there because they had a badass generator) and my parents went to a hotel. I do NOT want to be caught unprepared again.
                Even though I'm very inexperienced with politics and foreign policies, I can't help but feel that with what's been going on with Russia, Ukraine, and Chine lately, we may get thrown into another cold war. Who knows, we may not be as lucky as last time.

Comment

My family and I have been "recreational prepping" for a few years now, have a cabin up north with a healthy amount of supplies for our entire immediate and semi-extended family to be taken care of for about 6 months if needed. Bug out bags, basic food/water storage, self defense and a basic bug out plan are all important living a metropolitan area, especially one like Phoenix were we do not have any natural disasters to speak of so our population is extremely unprepared. First sign of issues, GTFO.
                  Where do you plan on leaving to if something were to force you out of the city? Places such as Canyon Lake, Flagstaff, just go East, Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                    Where do you plan on leaving to if something were to force you out of the city? Places such as Canyon Lake, Flagstaff, just go East, Mexico?
                    Without being too specific, we have a place outside of Payson. Lower population, lower heat, more annual rainfall, plenty of wood for fire... If a second home isn't in the cards, then you're on the right path of getting a 4x4 kitted out and would suggest scoping out some "long term" camping scenarios if things really really really go to shit for a while, or maybe you'd be best setting up a bug-in plan and hunkering down if it'll only be a few months at most.

Comment

Nice my wife and I went to Payson last weekend and walked around Forest Lake a bit with the dogs. Driving through the canyons would be a PITA to get through though with heavy traffic. I'm still not sure whether to go through Flagstaff or just head east. Sure as hell not staying in the desert. My wife had actually mentioned Payson would be a good place to settle if anything were to happen.

Comment

The one thing I can recommend not doing is the whole transient Walking Dead thing. Get a plan now, test it out with a long weekend to see if you really could sustain yourselves for any period of time. For the most part, in this part of the country (as with most states) the resources are not plentiful enough to think you can just disappear into the woods and survive for any length of time.

Here's an idea that could get your juices flowing, land in the north-eastern part of the state (plateau) is dirt cheap. It's basically flat scrub land, but there are pockets (near Snowflake for example) that have shallow water tables and could drill a well for less than nearly anywhere else in the state. Throw an RV up there and you've got the start of a nice off the grid retreat. May not be the best place to vacation, but it could be yours and only yours and do with what you will. Just be aware, much of the land up there is subject to HOA restrictions, so buy carefully based on what you can do and how deep the water is.

You're ahead of the curve and you have that going for you.

Comment

What an excellent question. I'd probably get on my surfboard and surf the epic tsunamis. That or head down through Mexico, to our secret hideout in a Central American country, where tasty waves are ever present.

But seriously, I'd be fuarked, and I'm ok with that.
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

For the most part, in this part of the country (as with most states) the resources are not plentiful enough to think you can just disappear into the woods and survive for any length of time.
                            This must mean that I'm winning. Because where I live, there totally is and you totally can. pretty much everybody here does it every year for 2 weeks.

:D

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Mine is pretty basic... just a light bookbag. First aid kit, camping gear, knife, ammo for my pistol (and my rifle if can i bring it), passport, and money in the event that I need to buy my way out. It's kind of hard to plan for something that may or may not happen, so my 'plan' is basically to get gone and stay gone. Come to think of it I should probably toss an extra camelback pouch and a water filter in there too
                              -Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X