Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Here is an example of how the left might be misunderstanding what it is going to take to win the election.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...=pocket-newtab

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
    Serious question: What does 'Left' mean? What does 'Centered' really Mean?

President Obama governed more or less as a moderate Republican and it's arguable he was to the Right of Reagan, someone like a Hillary Clinton was further to the Right of him.

I think our senses of what is Left, Right, and 'Centered' has been so spun and propagandized by our media atmosphere that no one knows what's up. Let's not forget that there's a Congress and a Supreme Court in place (to supposedly) to check any President.

'Far Left' means we put an end to our to our forever wars and focus that bottomless pit of money on our own people and country, so sign me up.
    When I think left and right, I do it in the contemporary. Obama may have been right of Reagan, but was left of say Mitch McConnell or Lindsey Graham (and much of contemporary Republicans). I voted for Obama the first time... "fool me once..."

When I think centered... I think someone who is going to actually work on policy. Not pie in the sky promises. I don't like the idea of FREE school, or FREE health care. I want everyone to pay a reasonable amount for those things. Even if my taxes go up. Because I GUARANTEE you our taxes could not possibly go up any amount that rivals what we pay in health care premiums, deductibles, etc. We're talking well north of $10k a year some years. And even years where everyone is healthy, still $7k+. Some will argue those figures are not exorbitant. And if that's the case in your situation, congrats. But the majority of America doesn't live that experience.

Colleges have gotten out of control with what they are allowed to charge. Regulate that. Graduating with a $100,000+ debt, with no guarantee of work/salary is just outrageous. If the universities were to also have job placement guarantees (even $40k/50k entry level for a bachelor's would be great) after graduation I'd forgive the high tuition.

Health care should be paid for by everyone, in our taxes. It's been proven time and time again we can not trust private enterprise to act in a manner that makes them money and still provides, at times, even adequate health care. This is one policy I don't mind the "far left's" ideas... but that's not going to fly because people are blind or brainwashed. "I like my plan... doctor... blah." You are over paying for your care. PERIOD. So, in order for policy to actually have a chance of changing you could not abolish private insurance all-together, but have to add a public option to that. Unfortunately, that doesn't work well either because then hospitals or doctors will resist accepting it. And the "all hospitals would close paying Medicare rates" argument is stupid. No they wouldn't. GTFO. They'd certainly make less money... but would definitely still be more than solvent. I know doctors and hospital admins, which doesn't make me an expert by any means... but has given me some insight into the health care system.

Obama did accomplish a public option, but it was just a "wet your feet" option IMO. But that's what it took to pass it. So there you go, at least something was accomplished. It must not be absolutely horrible because the Republicans can't get rid of it, as much of their constituency is actually on it and have let them know as much.

But, the number one thing I would like from a presidential candidate is to work to get rid of Citizen's United. Remove as much money from politics (especially campaigning) as possible. Especially corporate funding and lobbying.

Anyway, been drinking and working on our newly acquired E61... so TLDR: the Democrats are not going to be able to sell single payer/Medicare for all, tuition forgiveness, etc. to the mainstream voter. Stick to breaking up monopolies, but stop targeting only Google, Amazon, Facebook. Target the real problems, telecoms, pharma, etc. Campaign reform and other things that most middle class and lower middle class Democratic voters are concerned with.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Black 88
    replied

Leave a comment:

• coldweatherblue
    replied
    Originally posted by decay View Post
    if your messaging causes people to respond that way, maybe reshape it.
    Are you saying r3v can't read good?

Cause I believe r3v can do that good and other things too.

happy 4th y'all

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Huh that's funny I frequently multi quote my responses sometimes broken down by the sentence of the post I am responding to

Happy 4th to you as wel
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    So like about 73% of the shit you type in this sub forum?????
    hey simmer down sleeve, nobody ever accused you of reading the whole post

happy 4th assholes

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    hey man, sometimes people say shit that's dumb enough that the only appropriate response is "let me stop you right there"

So like about 73% of the shit you type in this sub forum?????

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
    Party has too many far left candidates. The few centered ones with realistic policy aren't front runners and will get weeded out. Thus handing the election to Trump. We're living Idiocracy.

Serious question: What does 'Left' mean? What does 'Centered' really Mean?

President Obama governed more or less as a moderate Republican and it's arguable he was to the Right of Reagan, someone like a Hillary Clinton was further to the Right of him.

I think our senses of what is Left, Right, and 'Centered' has been so spun and propagandized by our media atmosphere that no one knows what's up. Let's not forget that there's a Congress and a Supreme Court in place (to supposedly) to check any President.

'Far Left' means we put an end to our to our forever wars and focus that bottomless pit of money on our own people and country, so sign me up.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Healthcare is maybe the foremost issue for whoever runs for President, Senate, Town Dog Catcher, whatever. Any candidate talking honestly about all this and making it very understandable to people will have the best shot at winning.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    ItÂ’s going to be impossible for all those candidates who raised their hands on stage affirming illegal aliens should get free healthcare.

Does anyone think this is a winning political policy?

It's a conceptual 'raise your hand' hand question with no details or space for nuance. I'm not surprised that the original language on that is being spun. We all know Nothing is 'free'.

This is insightful and succinct: What Would Giving Healthcare to Undocumented Immigrants Mean?

In an ideal world we have a reliable and accessible system in place, something, to better serve all the people in our country --Citizens or Immigrants. Showing up at our hospital's emergency rooms with no insurance doesn't make it any better for the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• gwb72tii
    replied
    Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    I think that whoever gets the nomination will back off many of the far left things that are being said (Illegal immigrants will have the same healthcare as everyone else, for instance) as they will have to attract moderates and independents if they wish to win.

If this doesn't happen, then it's definitely going to be another four years of Trump.
    It’s going to be impossible for all those candidates who raised their hands on stage affirming illegal aliens should get free healthcare.

Does anyone think this is a winning political policy?

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    Coldweather don’t be so careless next time, and take into account that your messages may “cause” people to respond ignorantly. Next time be more careful.
    cute skirt you've got there, cheerleader

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Coldweather don’t be so careless next time, and take into account that your messages may “cause” people to respond ignorantly. Next time be more careful.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
    Please actually read posts prior to responding in the future to avoid these errors.
    hey man, sometimes people say shit that's dumb enough that the only appropriate response is "let me stop you right there"

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    Yup they are going to be destroyed this cycle by all indications from their platforms. I know a bunch of people like me who swore to never vote Trump who will gladly pull the lever for him this go around, if a candidate like Bernie, Harris, or Warren is the nominee. It may make the Democratic left feel good to have a ultra leftist as the nominee, but it won’t end well.

I still am wishing for a decent candidate from the libertarian party, but I’m sure they will blow the opportunity as always.
    I think that whoever gets the nomination will back off many of the far left things that are being said (Illegal immigrants will have the same healthcare as everyone else, for instance) as they will have to attract moderates and independents if they wish to win.

If this doesn't happen, then it's definitely going to be another four years of Trump.

Leave a comment:

• coldweatherblue
    replied
    i'm going to ignore the rest of your post and disagree with the premise that anyone who's not american isn't allowed to comment on american politics right up front
    Hi, I'm not sure why you would reply to a post you admittedly didn't read, but if you would've read literally the next sentence of my post you'd see that we are actually in agreement.

Carphunter asked why someone with conservative views would post in this thread since they wouldn't be voting in the democratic primary. I rhetorically responded by asking him why he was in this thread since he would not be voting in any primary/election, then responded with a statement supporting the involvement of people outside the US and the value of their perspectives.

This is the next sentence of the post you ignored:

Originally posted by coldweatherblue
    The above is not to discourage anyone from outside the US from commenting, I always enjoy hearing other nations perspectives, just stating a counter-point to the quoted text.
    Please actually read posts prior to responding in the future to avoid these errors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X