Democratic Primary Season 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    Reparations generations late: a scam for tax money to be wasted by the government to get you to vote democrat and hate those that vote or voice opinions against reparations which can never happen via government control.

Look how awful the gov't reparations towards Indians turned out. The local Chumash here love their Bentley's on cinderblocks and smoking with their kids while crime rises due to trucking in desparates looking to make rent or try to break into the 2 nearby schools to steal away children.

It would be better to move on and state that citizens are better off working their way up the food chain on their own merit.
    I'm not arguing for or against reparations but you do realize that African Americans have been a disadvantaged people at the hands of the federal and local governments well into the 20th century right? As in the people asking for compensations for unequal employment practices, unequal housing policy, etc are the same people that have been affected by the policy, not those people that were on cotton plantations being whipped by white masters in the 17 and 1800s.

Looking into federal and local housing policies into the 1970s and 1980s, specifically how mortgages were handed out and tell me that we are just talking about chattel slavery prior to 1865...

When people talk about reparations they aren't talking about simply repayment for ancestors held in bondage, they are talking about discriminatory practices that have harmed African Americans up to the present day.

My name's Matt btw, since we are moving to first names...

Comment

Massachusetts Representative Seth Moulton announced his candidacy earlier today

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
        Massachusetts Representative Seth Moulton announced his candidacy earlier today
        Super excited
        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Bernie Sanders has now said he believers convicted felons should be allowed to vote while in prison. When asked specifically about the Boston Bomber and those convicted of sexual assault, he said yes.

I hope you guys are ready for 4 more years of the big cheetoh. I can't imagine even far left extremists would support allowing those convicted of terrorism or sexual assault............and independents aren't going to support this kind of nonsense either.

I can't believe this is real.

Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

^While not his shining moment for sure, I prefer Buttigieg's answer to the same question, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. He answered the question honestly and for that you have to at least respect the transparency. Harris was too "politician-y" or "lawyer-y" for my taste. Not a huge fan of Warren and I missed Klobichar's segment. Of the five I think I liked Buttigieg's candor and answers the most. But as was noted by the analysts, we are on mile 2 of a 26 mile marathon. No decisions are going to made yet. Trump was a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles grabber much closer to the general and he still won. I don't think this comment will kill Sanders' run for the nomination.
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            -----------------------------------------
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

How about put it in more context instead of linking to some wing nut's twitter feed, and why 'cant you believe it is real'? I'd say that's pretty tame and explained compared to the idiotic things 'Big Cheetoh' says any day of the week.

Originally posted by Sanders
              "Yes, even for terrible people, because once you start chipping away and you say, 'Well, that guy committed a terrible crime, not going to let him vote. Well, that person did that. Not going to let that person vote,' you're running down a slippery slope."

Sanders acknowledged that he’ll likely face criticism from both Republicans and Democrats over his stance. Still, he stood by his argument that even though offenders may be paying a debt to society while incarcerated it should "not take away their inherent American right to participate in our democracy."

"I think I have written many 30-second opposition ads throughout my life," Sanders said of potential criticism. "This will be just another one."
              Should all criminals lose their right to vote? Or just some? Misdemeanors ok, but not Felonies? White-collar crime ok, but not others? Where do you draw the line?
              (Interested in opinions -- Seriously Asking)
              1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

My belief is that if you are in prison you have harmed society and need to take a time out. When you are done with your time out you can participate again.

I'm against disenfranchising people after they have served their time, however, I do not believe anyone that is in prison should be able to vote because they are paying a penalty for doing something wrong, disenfranchisement is part of that penalty.

Also, Joe Biden will be in the race as of Thursday his campaign announced this morning. I think that's the full field now, nearly two dozen.

As long as Biden can avoid major gaffes and standing to closely to any female, I think he has the ability to move the Dems back toward the center where you'll pull a lot of moderates and independents that are not quite sure which party they align with just yet.

Biden's campaigning history isn't stellar, but maybe he's learned enough to make this time around different...

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  ^While not his shining moment for sure, I prefer Buttigieg's answer to the same question, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. He answered the question honestly and for that you have to at least respect the transparency. Harris was too "politician-y" or "lawyer-y" for my taste. Not a huge fan of Warren and I missed Klobichar's segment. Of the five I think I liked Buttigieg's candor and answers the most. But as was noted by the analysts, we are on mile 2 of a 26 mile marathon. No decisions are going to made yet. Trump was a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles grabber much closer to the general and he still won. I don't think this comment will kill Sanders' run for the nomination.
                  You don't think there is a problem with the belief that someone who committed terrorism on our soil and killed citizens, should be allowed to vote WHILE IN PRISON.....that's some seriously radical thinking.

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
                  How about put it in more context instead of linking to some wing nut's twitter feed, and why 'cant you believe it is real'? I'd say that's pretty tame and explained compared to the idiotic things 'Big Cheetoh' says any day of the week.

Should all criminals lose their right to vote? Or just some? Misdemeanors ok, but not Felonies? White-collar crime ok, but not others? Where do you draw the line?
                  (Interested in opinions -- Seriously Asking)
                  You can find the full four minute video on YouTube.

Again, you see nothing wrong with allowing terrorists and rapists the ability to vote while in prison?

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                  My belief is that if you are in prison you have harmed society and need to take a time out. When you are done with your time out you can participate again.

I'm against disenfranchising people after they have served their time, however, I do not believe anyone that is in prison should be able to vote because they are paying a penalty for doing something wrong, disenfranchisement is part of that penalty.
                  I agree, mostly. Serve your time. You should be welcomed back into society for another chance.

But this wasn't implied, misconstrued, or taken out of context. He was point blank asked if he would let the Boston Marathon Bomber, or someone convicted of sexual assault (IE convicted felons) vote WHILE IN PRISON. And he used a terrible "slippery slope fallacy" comparing Republican mayors and governors wanting to people to have Valid ID's to vote to not allowing convicted felons to vote while in prison.

So you don't believe in disenfranchising someone who has served their debt to society, what would you think of this scenario?

When a convicted felon is released from prison after serving his time, lets say for armed robbery, should his right to legally own a weapon be reinstated the day he is released?

I mean he has served his debt to society, yes?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

So I assume those of you that support the crop of dems searching out a voting bloc with in the prison system would support these same felons getting their 2a rights restored upon release from incarceration then as well???
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                      So you don't believe in disenfranchising someone who has served their debt to society, what would you think of this scenario?

When a convicted felon is released from prison after serving his time, lets say for armed robbery, should his right to legally own a weapon be reinstated the day he is released?

I mean he has served his debt to society, yes?
                      Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      So I assume those of you that support the crop of dems searching out a voting bloc with in the prison system would support these same felons getting their 2a rights restored upon release from incarceration then as well???

I asked them that in the post above. ;)

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Lol I guess I should have refreshed before posting lol
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          You don't think there is a problem with the belief that someone who committed terrorism on our soil and killed citizens, should be allowed to vote WHILE IN PRISON.....that's some seriously radical thinking.
                          I didn't say I agreed with it. I prefer losing voting rights while incarcerated. My point was that in the grand scheme of things, that one belief he has is not going to lose him the candidacy. He can't be elected by prisoners during this election. I respect him for voicing his belief and not dancing around the question as so many politicians do regardless of whether I agree with it or not. No candidate is going to say everything right, though they try and sound like assholes for it. I prefer honesty.

Reinstating gun rights as you would voting rights is not equivocal. I support the law-abiding citizen's rights to own firearms. I don't support a felon's.

So I assume those of you that support the crop of dems searching out a voting bloc...
                          You support Reps who support gerrymandering?
                          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                            I didn't say I agreed with it. I prefer losing voting rights while incarcerated. My point was that in the grand scheme of things, that one belief he has is not going to lose him the candidacy. He can't be elected by prisoners during this election. I respect him for voicing his belief and not dancing around the question as so many politicians do regardless of whether I agree with it or not. No candidate is going to say everything right, though they try and sound like assholes for it. I prefer honesty.

Reinstating gun rights as you would voting rights is not equivocal. I support the law-abiding citizen's rights to own firearms. I don't support a felon's.
                            Odd stance to take, as I see them as very similar. As did the great progressive Teddy Roosevelt who put it far more eloquently than I would

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. : Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is
                            You support Reps who support gerrymandering?
                            This is the system in which we live in, and both sides of the isle are beyond guilty of stacking their own districts to remain in their seat...... I dont like it but we have to live with in it...

William Pitt-

Comment

Odd stance to take, as I see them as very similar. As did the great progressive Teddy Roosevelt who put it far more eloquently than I would

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. : Theodore Roosevelt
                              Again, very different concepts though. And I'd agree with Teddy's eloquence, character is important to both concepts. But, and this is a HUGE but, you can immediately kill someone with a firearm. Not so much with a vote. I'd much rather fight a felon armed with a vote than with a gun. Especially if I have a gun.

This is the system in which we live in, and both sides of the isle are beyond guilty of stacking their own districts to remain in their seat...... I dont like it but we have to live with in it...
                              Very true. And depending on which side of that aisle you sit, you'll have a different view of this. I look at the Republicans redistricting (especially in the south) as more egregious than the Democrats trying to undue it when they are elected. They are both the same thing... redistricting, but the reasons behind the redistricting are different. We'd disagree on that, which is fine. I think once districts are drawn... that's it, they're drawn. Both sides should leave them alone. If the whole country has to be sectioned/drawn once to account for cities spreading then so be it. But draw it once, and leave it.

Remember, I am not a Democrat or a Republican, but an Indy. So far under the Reps I am no better off than I was under the Dems, which is the ultimate vote swinger I think we'd both agree. I did not vote for either party in the last presidential race. Depending on how the Dems run I may vote their way this time. The only way the Republicans would earn a vote is if, by some miracle, they don't run Trump, he decides not to run again, or he is unable to run again.
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

With regard to regaining your rights after incarceration:
                                I believe if one thinks that a previous felon should not have ALL rights restored upon release, then the sentence was not befitting of the crime. During such incarceration, you have lost all rights until new evidence comes to light.

Note I referred to rights, not privileges, but this gets very tricky to enforce if not impossible. We should have a system such that upon police encounter, the arresting body knows the restrictions immediately. So, maybe then the prior criminal has no restrictions that are different from any other citizen.

Comment

Working...
                                X