I Went to the Ridge Rally and there was an E30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheRob
    Wrencher
    • Oct 2016
    • 204

    #1

    I Went to the Ridge Rally and there was an E30

    A year ago I got the chance to shoot my first rally. Lots of Subarus, a few Toyotas and a few BMWs. One of which was an E30, owned and raced by Benji and Garardo Carvallo. In the photos I managed to snap on the second day of the rally, the car had taken on some serious damage. The drivers side rear suspension had sustained some serious damage in the way of broken lower shock mount and a damaged subframe where the control mounts. They managed to repair it with some creative problem solving and managed to finish the rally, a feat in itself as only 10 of the 31 cars that started actually finished. I only wish I'd been able to get some photos from the first day. The accompanying article I wrote to go with them https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a7...-golden-state/
  • 2mAn
    Señior Mod
    • Aug 2010
    • 20989

    #2
    Sweet! thanks for sharing! That last pic of the hammered E30 is great
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1966 Blue Boat
    -1969 Red VW
    -1986 White BMW
    -2006 Green Thing

    Make R3V Great Again -2020

    Comment

    • TheRob
      Wrencher
      • Oct 2016
      • 204

      #3
      Originally posted by 2mAn
      Sweet! thanks for sharing! That last pic of the hammered E30 is great
      Happy to share, I should have done it sooner, but being on R3v without an E30 seems odd. Glad you like that last pic, shooting rally is a challenge. You really only get one or two chances to get the shot and then its gone.
      Last edited by TheRob; 08-21-2026, 10:25 AM.

      Comment

      • TheRob
        Wrencher
        • Oct 2016
        • 204

        #4
        Heres a few more.
        Attached Files

        Comment

        • 2mAn
          Señior Mod
          • Aug 2010
          • 20989

          #5
          Originally posted by TheRob

          Being on R3v without an E30 seems odd.
          Being on R3V and NOT being odd is odd...

          Besides, share what you are messing with and typically all roads will lead back to an E30. Ask me how I know? lol
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1966 Blue Boat
          -1969 Red VW
          -1986 White BMW
          -2006 Green Thing

          Make R3V Great Again -2020

          Comment

          • TheRob
            Wrencher
            • Oct 2016
            • 204

            #6
            Originally posted by 2mAn

            Being on R3V and NOT being odd is odd...

            Besides, share what you are messing with and typically all roads will lead back to an E30. Ask me how I know? lol
            How dare you be so friendly and accommadating! Now I might have to start posting about my 97 Cherokee, which come to think of it, is kind of like an E30.

            Comment

            • 2mAn
              Señior Mod
              • Aug 2010
              • 20989

              #7
              Originally posted by TheRob

              How dare you be so friendly and accommadating! Now I might have to start posting about my 97 Cherokee, which come to think of it, is kind of like an E30.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1966 Blue Boat
              -1969 Red VW
              -1986 White BMW
              -2006 Green Thing

              Make R3V Great Again -2020

              Comment

              • Panici
                Moderator
                • Dec 2009
                • 2551

                #8
                Great pics, thanks for sharing.
                Post that XJ too!

                Comment

                • TheRob
                  Wrencher
                  • Oct 2016
                  • 204

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Panici
                  Great pics, thanks for sharing.
                  Post that XJ too!
                  Thank you, you're too kind. I'll be sure to post the XJ soon(also I have no clue where to put it on this forum lol.) Mind you it's just a stock 97 4wd model, ex water departement vehicle. No roof rack, had just an AM/FM radio, no rear wiper, power nothing (windows/locks etc.) but all the factory skid plates, rear LSD, cruise control and A/C. I was thinking the other day the XJ Cherokee is kind of like an E30. Inline 6, a bit basic, rear wheel drive (unless you move the funny lever in the middle) the 4 door and 2 door are the same size, except one has very small rear doors. And, ya know, the whole Euro thing, the XJ was designed when the French had a controlling interest in AMC. Which is acually an intersting story and if things had been just a little bit different, as in the CEO of Renault not being assasinated, the Jeep XJ landscape might look a whole lot different.

                  Comment

                  • TheRob
                    Wrencher
                    • Oct 2016
                    • 204

                    #10
                    Originally posted by 2mAn
                    All of us XJ owners were quite proud of that video. I wish mine was a manual, I've considered swapping it but the Aisin AW4 is such a reliable little transmission it's hard to justify it.

                    Comment

                    Working...