Spongey Wilwood Pedal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ljhnh75
    Noobie
    • Oct 2024
    • 7

    #1

    Spongey Wilwood Pedal

    I have recently upgraded my setup to the Wilwood dual master setup with the bracket from garagistic, 5/8 front and rear with factory brand new calipers, new pads and rotors, stainless steel in place of all of the original rubber lines and hard lines everywhere else. I have set up quite a few brake systems before and I’ve never been so certain that all of the air is fully bled from a system in my life haha, I have bench bled both masters multiple times, pressure bled the system more times than I can count, and also done it the old fashioned way as well. For some reason, the first 1 to two inches of pedal travel, It feels as if there is still air in the system. I have verified with pressure gauges on the calipers as well, I don’t start building any pressure until after those one to two inches, I have verified the pushrods on the masters are both moving as they should for those two inches. I spoke to wilwood, and they even said they don’t know what could be my problem and then said to try putting some 2lb residual valves in to see if that fixes it. Of course that did not help at all either. Has anyone else had this issue running stock brakes with the wilwood masters before? My last two thoughts are maybe it is either the stock e30 calipers and their very non-rigid design and it’s just taking that much pedal to tighten up or maybe somehow I just happened to get two faulty masters from Wilwood. Any thoughts are appreciated!
  • 82eye
    R3VLimited
    • Jan 2009
    • 2095

    #2
    full 6 piece steel line set or 4 piece? the 2 above the rear sub are often left out when swapping the rubber to steel.

    Comment

    • Ljhnh75
      Noobie
      • Oct 2024
      • 7

      #3
      Originally posted by 82eye
      full 6 piece steel line set or 4 piece? the 2 above the rear sub are often left out when swapping the rubber to steel.
      Full 6 piece

      Comment

      • 82eye
        R3VLimited
        • Jan 2009
        • 2095

        #4
        fluid at all four corners when checked? i'm sure there is but it's good to make certain.
        on the same note - abs delete? or still on the car? also chasing some braking issues and close to doing the abs delete as i think the abs pump may be at the root cause.

        get both overly stiff and soft pedal, at the extreme it will sometime cause uneven braking.

        Comment

        • Ljhnh75
          Noobie
          • Oct 2024
          • 7

          #5
          Originally posted by 82eye
          fluid at all four corners when checked? i'm sure there is but it's good to make certain.
          on the same note - abs delete? or still on the car? also chasing some braking issues and close to doing the abs delete as i think the abs pump may be at the root cause.

          get both overly stiff and soft pedal, at the extreme it will sometime cause uneven braking.
          Correct, I even purchased two pressure gauges to make sure everything was correct. Also, car was non-ABS from the factory.

          After many, and I mean MANY hours of stuff bleeding and painfully fine tuning the pushrods, i eventually got the brakes to do everything I needed pressure wise, pedal feels pretty decent, both engage at the same time, bias is right about where I need (I did install a bias knob where the headlight adjuster originally was on my touring) but it’s now just the top of the pedal. I can’t imagine ever trying to do that whole situation with ABS also in the mix, that sounds like self torture.


          Comment

          • 82eye
            R3VLimited
            • Jan 2009
            • 2095

            #6
            glad you got it

            Comment

            Working...