Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$125 to spend for LeMons... what to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post
    What's up with all the E30 teams using those wheels now? I know they were on sale cheap but damn they're everywhere!
    You answered your own question. :D

There were 6 e30s at the race last weekend and we were the only ones running them actually.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
    '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
    '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
    SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

At Reno (I didn't race there - just helping a friend's team) I counted 3 or 4 teams with them. Where were they on sale?
      The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Tire Rack, they were around $100 for the 15x8s, can't beat that!

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
        '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
        '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
        SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

15x*8*? Wow, that's pretty wide for just 205 tires (I see you're running Falkens too). The difference in tire width the 14" bottlecaps is negligible, so I'll probably stick with them for now (plus I can get new RT615s in 14" for $48 a piece - can't beat that).

Comment

poly fill the subframe bushings that are in there already. just jack the car up remove the plate and go to town. get some propper wheels to ease the sidewall flex. a fairly effiecnt (better than none) oil pan baffle can be made at home for cheap are you running an oil cooler?

Comment

This is great.
              1989 325i - sold
              1987 RX-7 Turbo II - sold
              1990 325i

Comment

No oil cooler on my car.

Comment

Now you got me thinking. Would an oil cooler be a worthwhile addition? Our next race will be in August in 100+ degree conditions. I could hopefully find a good used 325i set up in the junkyard for cheap.

I'm thinking this, plus some new trailing arm bushings, a crank scraper, and filling the subframe and diff mount bushings with Window Weld or something similar. Whaddya think?

Comment

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post
                    Now you got me thinking. Would an oil cooler be a worthwhile addition? Our next race will be in August in 100+ degree conditions. I could hopefully find a good used 325i set up in the junkyard for cheap.
                    Oil cooler sounds like a plan. Mount some mesh in front of it to avoid puncture from schrapnel :)

WRT Buttonwillow, I'll spit this out while I'm thinking about it. Heat exhaustion is no joke. Mount a camelback in the car, or figure out how to swap one in with each driver. We saw other team drivers stuffing them down the front of their suits at Reno. Ours was mounted to hang from the harness bar on the cage, and we refilled with ice cold water between drivers. Also, rig up some air flow towards the driver. Face especially if you run open visor. Your brain will boil otherwise. We duct taped a series of cups to our driver door to dump cold air at the driver's face. This was well worth it. Between those 2 mods, we were increasingly comfortable doing long stints at Reno. Buttonwillow is going to be rough.
                    Norcal Spec E30 #804 http://scienceofslow.com
                    Pandamonium Racing, 24Hrs of LeMons http://pandamoniumracing.blogspot.com

Comment

i should have an oil cooler setup in the spare parts bin. needs a new thermostat seal iirc but all new seals otherwise

Comment

Porccubimmer is by far the coolest thing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by laz View Post
                          WRT Buttonwillow, I'll spit this out while I'm thinking about it. Heat exhaustion is no joke. Mount a camelback in the car, or figure out how to swap one in with each driver. We saw other team drivers stuffing them down the front of their suits at Reno. Ours was mounted to hang from the harness bar on the cage, and we refilled with ice cold water between drivers. Also, rig up some air flow towards the driver. Face especially if you run open visor. Your brain will boil otherwise. We duct taped a series of cups to our driver door to dump cold air at the driver's face. This was well worth it. Between those 2 mods, we were increasingly comfortable doing long stints at Reno. Buttonwillow is going to be rough.
                          Heh, I was just looking at some cheap Camelbak bladders. $8.50 each on eBay, buy one for each of our drivers. I've also been looking at body cooling solutions. I was considering making our own Cool Shirt system but I found some cool vests online that supposedly stay at like 60-65 degrees up to 2 hours and get cold in ice water in 20 mins. We could buy two and have one on the driver and one on deck, with less potential for leakage when changing drivers. And I'm thinking an air scoop for inside would be a good idea. I'm wondering if we can do it on the roof instead of on the door like you did.

BTW, you don't have to warn me about the heat. I raced at Altamont in July 2007 and I remember it being about 100. I just looked up the historical data and sure enough it was 98 in Tracy that day. I seriously got close to heat exhaustion by not drinking enough. When I got out of the car I guzzled a couple of Gatorades and luckily escaped okay.

Thanks HiTheNameIsBJ!

Comment

LTDScott, where are you getting the Falken RT615s for $48? Cheapest I've seen is Vulcan at $66.
                            1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
                            1991 318is: raw DD
                            2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Boris3 View Post
                              LTDScott, where are you getting the Falken RT615s for $48? Cheapest I've seen is Vulcan at $66.
                              Let's just say the Falken decals on our car aren't just for decoration.

Comment

Ah, understood.
                                1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
                                1991 318is: raw DD
                                2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Working...
                                X