No announcement yet.

ABS Delete Any one runs without ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ABS on our cars actually works pretty well (if working...). It will let you get pretty aggressive with the brakes before assuming control. Same deal with the systems in Porsches of the same vintage. Depends on your preference, but don't discount ABS too quickly on the basis that you won't be able to have any fun.

The ABS on my 2000 Camaro SS is terrible. It's WAY too overbearing, and instantly takes over at the slightest hint of any wheel sliding. Even if I hit a small imperfection in the track during braking and just barely scrub a tire, I will find myself heading for the grass (actually, it's usually gravel out here...) without brakes. The fuses stay pulled.
    sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

I'm keeping mine. It pulses the rears too early for my liking, but its saved me too many times for me to get rid of it.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

no ABS on my dd/autocross car.

id like to put it back on, ive rode in a few e30s with ABS at the autocross, it seems that it helped

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by raxe View Post
          my car never had abs. :???:
          +1

----------------------------------------------------
          damn never know what i missed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GK-E30M3 View Post
            my ABS is all screwd up sensors all mesed up diferent ABS rings up front should i delete the system or try to deal wit it
            Track Auto-x car
            I found that with a non-functioning ABS system, the overwhelming front bias our cars exhibit can be a real pain in the ass. It's easy to lock the fronts and as mentioned before tires are really expensive once you start climbing the sticky scale.

If you are going to maintain the stock setup and track the car, I would really put the effort into fixing the ABS.

I run without ABS but I have a full Tilton pedal setup with correctly sized dual master cylinders. I'm no master in threshold braking but with a "correct" (ie, not lawyer driven) bias setup it's amazing how much better the car stops than it did with a crippled ABS.
            Last edited by iflytii; 06-24-2009, 05:53 AM.

Comment

iflytii - I wonder how many cars (e30) on the road have a fully working abs :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                iflytii - I wonder how many cars (e30) on the road have a fully working abs :)
                probably most of them, it's not exactly a complicated system. Of course E30 owners tend to have a "if it's broke, don't fix it" attitude instead of the other way around. :p
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

we replaced our ABS system with the break lines from another E30 that did not come with ABS.

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

what about this i have full E30 M3 5-lug suspension do i need to change the ABS Rings or change the ABS computer

Comment

Originally posted by iflytii View Post

I run without ABS but I have a full Tilton pedal setup with correctly sized dual master cylinders. I'm no master in threshold braking but with a "correct" (ie, not lawyer driven) bias setup it's amazing how much better the car stops than it did with a crippled ABS.
                      pics/specs of tilton setup?
                      e30sport.net
                      '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                      '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                      '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by GK-E30M3 View Post
                        what about this i have full E30 M3 5-lug suspension do i need to change the ABS Rings or change the ABS computer
                        No, you don't need to change the rings, computer, or sensors. They are the same between M and non-M.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

It would still be possible to run ABS with a full Tilton pedal box, right? Do you think there would be any benefit of running ABS in your car?

I'm running the Mike B dual master cylinder setup with no ABS, and am considering reinstalling ABS.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
                            It would still be possible to run ABS with a full Tilton pedal box, right? Do you think there would be any benefit of running ABS in your car?

I'm running the Mike B dual master cylinder setup with no ABS, and am considering reinstalling ABS.

Erik
                            It's possible and there is definite benefit in my opinion. In fact I've been looking at retrofitting an e36 4 channel system. That's going to be my winter project. :D

BeirBrennerE30, I'm using a 600 series firewall mount setup (6.2:1 ratio). Based on my caliper sizes I'm running 13/16" master cylinders for both front and rear. The great thing about Tilton products is their engineering department is available for setup questions. Given your setup, they will size the master cylinders for you at no charge!

Pic of the pedals

Pic of the firewall:
                            Last edited by iflytii; 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM.

Comment

^ holy fuck , nice car...

Originally posted by E30_fiend
                              Simply sexy.
                              Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka
                              man... I took my little E30 outside for a ride, now 5sp.... there is no other car like E30... PERIOD. Don't know how to explain, but driving E30 is like having sex with a girl of your dreams, but the girl is a bit inexperienced, so you have to show her what to do and she will do it beautifully! ohhh man... after I got the 5sp tranny in it, it is all new love all over again! :)))

Comment

It's possible and there is definite benefit. In fact I've been looking at retrofitting an e36 4 channel system. That's going to be my winter project. :D
                                That should be interesting. i'll be watching your progress. I don't have ABS and wish I did. Wish I had the cash to buy a Bosch Motorsport ABS system.

Comment

Working...
                                X