Coolant to TB hose bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant to TB hose bypass

In the final stages of track prepping my car and need to deal with a few loose ends like brittle hoses, specifically the two coolant hoses that run to the throttle body.

The two hoses connect at the TB via piece #25 pictured below I think. If it's not the piece depicted here, it's a similar looking set of ports near the TB in the manifold.

I'm assuming these are to keep the manifold up to temp in extreme cold. Given that the extreme colds of SoCal are a brutal 40 degrees (F) or so, can I just bypass this system? I have two ideas on how to do this.

My goal is to make this "one less thing to worry about" so my first idea is to just cap off both fittings where the coolant enters/exits on the head. Can I do this or will that cut off coolant to the head?

If eliminating the system isn't an option, I'd like to just run some braided hose from one port to the other one and be done with it.

I'm also aware that replacing the old hoses with new ones is cheap and easy.

I want to do what is best for keeping the car alive during a lemons race and bypassing un-necessary systems like my heater core (and this system??) is my goal.

Input appreciated
    sigpic

you can probably get away with it, but, it doesn't have to be freezing of near freezing for the TB to ice up. It depends more on the moisture content/humidity of the air. ice can form between -5c to 15c. I know it's a lemons car, but just something to think about.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Since that part of the cooling system always has flow, it is best to bypass the TB heater by connecting the outlet on the thermostat housing directly to the port on the block. Ordinary heater hose is fine. Or you can splice the OE hoses.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

On both my m20 and my m50 car, I pulled the hoses off the TB, and butt-connected them with a hose connector. A cleaner install would be to use one hose.

It has gotten down to close to 0 degrees here, no problems daily driving the m50 car yet for over a year now. The track car only sees warmer weather and is stored in a heated garage.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Mine has been bypassed for upwards of 10 years with no problems. This in the DC area and has been driven well below freezing as it was my daily driver up til about 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyabmw View Post
            Mine has been bypassed for upwards of 10 years with no problems. This in the DC area and has been driven well below freezing as it was my daily driver up til about 4 years ago.
            The humidity level must be in the right ranges to along with the temperature. If it's a really dry cold (chuckle), then ice isn't going to form. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially on a track car. I've bypassed mine, but haven't run it enough to know one way or another. If I had to, I could just plug it back in.
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

mine has been bypassed with a butt connector, whatever you call it, two barbed ends, and its been fine for a while. im in NC and we have been getting some Cold Wet weeks here lately.

Comment

you'll be fine. i rerouted mine to a turbo, and just took off the plate that the hoses connect to. it wont freeze here in socal.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

what does this modification do?
                  Chris Woods

https://www.facebook.com/munichmotorworks

Comment

i broke a head off a screw that holds that plate on, so i couldnt put it back easy. so i just connected the hoses. that thing can clog and leak too.
                    if you want to be perfect, just get a longer hose and run it continuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mafiaracers View Post
                      what does this modification do?
                      nothing, other than remove a possible leak point.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                      X