Left foot braking in the e30...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left foot braking in the e30...

Feedback on this...I do it just a little bit in very tight turn so as to simply slow down just a tad without losing momentum, what are you guys thoughts on this?
    Yes I do
    33.33%
    No I don't b'cos I don't know what this is
    33.33%
    It's a waste of time
    33.33%

great for those small chicanes on an autocross course, or any where you don't need to shift but need to slow the car or settle it, or break it loose. You will look funny for a couple of events due to wanting to use the "clutch" force with the left foot and not the breaking force.

w

Comment

Left footing is very uncomfortable for me. I drive an eta with a limited power band and a very low diff. My car requires constant shifting. I've learned to rest the right foot on the brake and accel. This works much better for me in my e30. While spirited driving in my e34, I have used the left foot and have been ok with it. Since I am not completely used to it, it is a little foreign, but very managable in my e34.

I don't think left footing is right or wrong. It is more of a driver preference in a specific car. It just doesn't work for me in my e30. (eta 3.73 diff)
      Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

Re: Left foot braking in the e30...

Originally posted by e9nine
        Feedback on this...I do it just a little bit in very tight turn so as to simply slow down just a tad without losing momentum, what are you guys thoughts on this?
        Thats a Contradiction.

In a perfect world with perfect execution it will always be faster to left foot brake to slow the car entering any corner that you are not downshifting for. Reason, you lose the transfer time of your foot from gas to brake. You'll be able to go from acceleration to braking the instant that you want it.
        Left foot braking is no different other than the foot that you use. The majority of Left footers are not nearly as smooth with the left as the right. It has taken me a year of using my left foot on any braking that doesn't require a shift to get decent.

Myth:
        Left foot braking keeps RPMs up.

Braking tip:
        Make sure that your foot is not resting on the floor of the car when you are braking. You'll use the big muscles of your leg and have better feel and control.

Comment

Every time I try left foot braking I hit it was too hard. I just don't have the smoothness... Also, my clutch is pretty hard and the engagement area is very short, so transitioning back and forth means a huge change in pressure and pedal travel :(

Comment

Originally posted by DBurke
            Thats a Contradiction.

In a perfect world with perfect execution it will always be faster to left foot brake to slow the car entering any corner that you are not downshifting for. Reason, you lose the transfer time of your foot from gas to brake. You'll be able to go from acceleration to braking the instant that you want it.
            Left foot braking is no different other than the foot that you use. The majority of Left footers are not nearly as smooth with the left as the right. It has taken me a year of using my left foot on any braking that doesn't require a shift to get decent.

Myth:
            Left foot braking keeps RPMs up.

Braking tip:
            Make sure that your foot is not resting on the floor of the car when you are braking. You'll use the big muscles of your leg and have better feel and control.
            I said left foot braking just to keep it easy to comprehend what I am trying to say...I use the big toe "ball" part of my right foot in turns to slow the car a bit...it is effective...or feels like it is to :me: on tight turns. When I do it, I still have my foot on the gas at the angle and I am able to simpy slow the car a "tad" and then ease off it upon exit to get back up to my "perceived" optimal speed.

It might be personal to me in this case since it is safer to right foot brake than "left" foot since I have encountered a situation or two with my worn rear tires where I was compelled (due to driver error ;) ) to plant clutch fully in and brake a tad to preserve the car...

My way:
            Right foot planted at least 3/4 when left foot braking in order to preserve momenutm.

My counteraction:
            BIg muscle, small muscle, we all use pressure differently when left or right-foot-big-toe-ball-braking so its a matter of which method works best for you..

I might also add that I have a FWD as the beater ( '97 Maxima..) and when I do this in it in turns it turns to oversteer so I know its in check ;)

Comment

I do it to set the front end for turn-in(turn 5b at Pacific Raceways), becuase my car is a pig and pushes like a motherf***er.
              -Ted

Comment

It might be personal to me in this case since it is safer to right foot brake than "left" foot since I have encountered a situation or two with my worn rear tires where I was compelled (due to driver error ;) ) to plant clutch fully in and brake a tad to preserve the car...
                Please elaborate on this as I can't think of a single situation where this would help.

Worn rear tires suggest to me that you would have oversteer problems in a "situation". Pushing the clutch in while the tail is out and only partially braking would seriously unsettle the car IMO. Only time you should go full clutch pedal in is when you have completely lost control, and then BOTH feet should be on the brake and clutch fully.

Left foot braking is VERY effective once you realise how to use it and when. It is used a lot in a 911 which is famous for having it's tail out.

I'm left footed (don't ask, but feel free to joke about it ), so I don't have the sensitivity problems some of you guys do.
                -Patrick

Comment

I left-foot-brake on the autocross course in every braking zone, unless i'm heel-and-toe downshifting :-)
                  Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
                  1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
                  1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
                  1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
                  2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
                  2005 X3 (little woman's car)
                  Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
                  Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

my feet are WIDE, and with my birks they are even wider. I can very easily rest my right foot between both pedals. I can heel and toe very smoothly, so I'm not sure quite what the need for left-foot braking would be in my case
                    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuff240
                      Please elaborate on this as I can't think of a single situation where this would help.

Worn rear tires suggest to me that you would have oversteer problems in a "situation". Pushing the clutch in while the tail is out and only partially braking would seriously unsettle the car IMO. Only time you should go full clutch pedal in is when you have completely lost control, and then BOTH feet should be on the brake and clutch fully.

Left foot braking is VERY effective once you realise how to use it and when. It is used a lot in a 911 which is famous for having it's tail out.

I'm left footed (don't ask, but feel free to joke about it ), so I don't have the sensitivity problems some of you guys do.
                      Oh wow....didn't notice this thread was still alive!

Anyway, using the clutch pedal without braking works "sometimes." Every situation I have been through has been different. Sometimes I have noticed it better to induce understeer in a bid to correct oversteer by pressing the clutch fully in while steering without brakes or by changing from 3rd to 5th for example.

Once again, its purely intuitive and hard to picture unless you encounter similar or same situations I am referring to. A typical situation where it also helps is in snow.

I can very easily rest my right foot between both pedals. I can heel and toe very smoothly, so I'm not sure quite what the need for left-foot braking would be in my case
                      Sometimes, my foot is resting in a position such that I don't want to reposition it in order to heel-toe a move. In that case, I'll actually use the left foot (rarely). I just do it cos I can :P I also avoid wearing wide shoes if I am going on a spirited run. They can get in the way even though they are a lazy aid at times

Comment

I got to ride in Randy Walters car this saturday at the AutoX in San Diego...he left foot braked almost every turn. I tried but I suck. But i am getting alot better at heel toe downshifting.

Comment

I'm way too uncoordinated to use left foot braking. I can't imagine trying to even shift in a RHD car. I do use, heel-toe a bit, but since my size 12's make it a little difficult, I end up doing both pedals with the sides of my foot.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I'm way better at braking with my left foot than I am with my right.. I messed up my right foot a long time ago so it's pretty hard for me to put enough pressure on it to slow the car down. my left foot also works for clutches too ;)

btw I'm pretty sure the pedal configurations are the same in RHD cars.. (clutch/brake/gas)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                              btw I'm pretty sure the pedal configurations are the same in RHD cars.. (clutch/brake/gas)

Yup, it is. Also is the gearbox configuration. While running through the gears the shifter moves towards you, rather than away. It weirds me out.
                              My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X