No announcement yet.

1st Time Auto X- Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not your opinion it's the fact you didn't read what I wrote correctly or fully.

Ok for the street doesn't mean it's safe or ok for a track weather it be auto X or hpde. For 100$ or so he can have new rubber brake lines not only for piece of mind at the track but also on the street. Heck a burst line is more dangerous on the street then it is the track.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

it's not a track. it's autox.. with a novice who's more likely to be lost than worry about how fast he's going. the track is way different, stock old brakes won't last more than a few laps.

autox just isn't that hard on brakes, especially as a noob. the same brake pads that worked for me for years in autox melted after 20 minutes on an actual track. apples/oranges.

keep it simple - it's just for fun! no reason to go overkill for a minute and a half of driving in circles..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        it's not a track. it's autox.. with a novice who's more likely to be lost than worry about how fast he's going. the track is way different, stock old brakes won't last more than a few laps.

autox just isn't that hard on brakes, especially as a noob. the same brake pads that worked for me for years in autox melted after 20 minutes on an actual track. apples/oranges.

keep it simple - it's just for fun! no reason to go overkill for a minute and a half of driving in circles..
        I agree with that. Hence I said I don't think he should do all that for his first event. But you know as well as I do, it's addictive and I'm sure it won't be his last. At minimum I'd change the rubber brake hoses, flush the fluid, and inspect the lines.

Personally I'd change everything. Even on a street car, just because it's 20+ years old and generally not properly maintained by previous owners.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I'm surprised I haven't died at the track yet with my ATE fluid and unknown mileage used master cylinder.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            I'm surprised I haven't died at the track yet with my ATE fluid and unknown mileage used master cylinder.
            +1

For a first autox you don't need anything more than a functioning stock system. A proper inspection before hand should be made to check for worn/in need of replacement parts but if everything looks good you are good to go!

Have fun at your first event!

-NICK

Comment

Ha! Glad I didn't read the back-and-forth before leaving on Saturday, probably would have psyched me out.

For anyone wondering, I did NOT change the pads or rotors before Saturday and was still shocked by how well my brakes worked. I've never come close to braking that hard, and I was really impressed. What great cars. I do change the brake fluid once a year, though I stick to OE BMW fluid since it's my DD. I never found my brakes lacking on Saturday. Now my tires, on the other hand (I'll insert video of my epic smoke-filled spin when/if I find it).

The day was an amazing one, and I'm likely to be at the same bat place in two weeks time. For anyone out there reading this and thinking "i don't know if my car is fast enough, if I'm good enough" or whatever doubts you may have- STOP and go do one. Just go do it. I only have exhaust, a chip, and H&R springs on Bilsteins. Stock otherwise- all season tires, regular ass seats, etc. I would recommend doing one with a BMWCCA chapter, as they were incredibly warm and welcoming. Everyone was willing to give ridealongs, advice and encouragement. I heard "are you having fun?" way more than "what's your best time?"

I'm looking to stay in the lowly B class for now, and I managed to get faster times than the only other guy in my class. He had an e36 318ti, but he blew a radiator hose on his 6th (of 7) run. I felt bad for him, honestly, but it is nice to know I wasn't the slowest out there. And a lot of guys lent a hand when they saw what had happened to his car. There was no "oh ha! look at that POS!" Very cool group of guys.

Anyone doubting an e30's capabilities need look no further than the results sheet, http://www.racersmarket.net/autox/2013Event03_fin.htm. Check the D class times- the first two are both instructors, and were basically stock 325i motors, coilovers, one of them had a lightened flywheel, and one had slicks. Otherwise they were stock, raggedy ass e30s that those dudes drove on a razor's edge. It was inspiring.

All in all, I think AutoX has enlisted yet another addict. I'll be up there again in two weeks. Unless anyone knows of one happening next weekend...
              /______\_o_/______\
              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
              \ #___======___# /
              |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Glad you did the most important thing, had fun. Great addiction to have.
                sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

sounds like you had fun
                  sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear you had a blast, that is what it's all about. If you ever stop having fun, you should just stop doing it lol. And glad you saw what I love about the sport, the people. "Come for the cars, stay for the people" is a quote I heard a while back and it still resonates. So many cool people, who share the same passion with cars, and are immediately willing to help out when in need. Even at the very top, at Nationals, I have seen driver's whose car broke, and they were offered to drive someone else's in their class.

Just a note, tires are huge. Where you're at right now, they will make the single biggest difference to the car. That said, I would just stick with what you have right now, all-seasons teach you patience and to drive the car to it's limits, and not beyond them. Welcome to the addiction ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post

Just a note, tires are huge. Where you're at right now, they will make the single biggest difference to the car. That said, I would just stick with what you have right now, all-seasons teach you patience and to drive the car to it's limits, and not beyond them. Welcome to the addiction ;)
                      it's good to hear you say that. I think a lot of guys do one or two then reach into the piggy bank right off the bat. So much to learn about controlling the car while it's going fast, while it's on that knife edge, that I think it's prudent to be the best with what you have- FIRST. Upgrade as time and money allow.

It also helps that running stock (or basically so) keeps cost down and is an easier sell to the wife!

I think I'll stay in B class for a while, but if I were to get new tires, what are good high performance summers? And how to access the treadwear number from the web? Anyone running CCA events know what I'm talking about? It was stamped on the tire, but Tirerack didn't have the 3 digit number I was looking for. Not sure if I'm adequately capturing the question...
                      /______\_o_/______\
                      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                      \ #___======___# /
                      |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Great stuff! I agree with all of the input about holding off on modifying your car until you've improved your driving at it's current capabilities. It'll pay dividends in the future! I'll have to check out one of these BMWCCA events some time, they sound like a lot of fun and good people to race with.

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                        If you ever stop having fun, you should just stop doing it lol.
                        ^Agreed! I've had good friends go from driving the lights out of their station wagons and having a blast to buying a nationally-prepped SCCA cars, then turning into no-fun elitists. One of the guys I look up to in my region ditched all of his data logging gizmos and tablets because it took the fun out of autocross. Just enjoy yourself!!

Comment

The CCA events are great!

One thought I've had- you guys tell me what you think.

I'm considering spacers, which cost nothing in class points- my gut tells me a little bit wider track may increase my grip a little. First of all, is that true? Second, how long do lugs need to be? I know I need 57.1 hubcentric in 4 x 100.

How wide should I go? Fenders aren't rolled or anything...
                          /______\_o_/______\
                          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                          \ #___======___# /
                          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Congratulations on your new addiction! Sounds like a lot of fun. It seems like the car came through it relatively unscathed too, which is always a bonus! :D
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
                              I think I'll stay in B class for a while, but if I were to get new tires, what are good high performance summers? And how to access the treadwear number from the web? Anyone running CCA events know what I'm talking about? It was stamped on the tire, but Tirerack didn't have the 3 digit number I was looking for. Not sure if I'm adequately capturing the question...
                              The tires you're looking for would be:

Dunlop ZII
                              BFG Rival
                              Bridgestone RE-11a
                              Hankook RS3
                              Yokohama AD08
                              Kumho XS
                              Falken Azennis RT-615k

Those have been the primary street tires designed with autoX/track days in mind for the past couple years. I loosely put them in order from newest/best on down. But they are tires, different sizes/tires work better in different applications. The Dunlop, BFG, and B'stones are new as of a couple months ago.

Now for treadwear rating, it's pretty commonly referred to as UTQG. So, go to Tire Rack's site, look at a tire, say the Dunlop ZII; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Direzza+ZII

Now scroll down to where it says 'product description,' 'sizes,' 'specs,' etc. Click on 'specs,' UTQG (treadwear) is in the first column. For the ZII's it's 200, 180-200 is pretty standard for these sort of tires.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                                It seems like the car came through it relatively unscathed too, which is always a bonus! :D
                                Ha, it's a funny story actually.

I killed the battery, which was defective and needed replaced. The guy at autozone's eyes widened when I told him the age of the car and the activities I had recently completed.

New battery, distributor cap, rotor, wires and she's starting with vigor!
                                /______\_o_/______\
                                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                                \ #___======___# /
                                |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Working...
                                X