Tire question for track (HPDE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    Are you planning on doing lots of track time, or just a few times a year?

If you are going to do it more than occasionally, I'd consider getting something less aggressive for the street, and having a dedicated set of track wheels/tires.

15x8s that Wh33lhop mentioned +225/45 NT-01/R888/Rivals would make a killer HPDE setup for an E30.
    I still want to drive it on the street, and I'm planning on getting another set for street only.
    sigpic

Comment

I am running a set of 215/45-16 Kumho XS's. They are not the best autocross/track tire around but I have only good things to say about them. I'm going on 4 years of autocross and just started tracking, 3 days at Mid Ohio. They still have a few more track days left.

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
        I am running a set of 215/45-16 Kumho XS's. They are not the best autocross/track tire around but I have only good things to say about them. I'm going on 4 years of autocross and just started tracking, 3 days at Mid Ohio. They still have a few more track days left.
        Great, I can pick up a set of these for street. Thanks!
        sigpic

Comment

I lived in texas for 6 months and drove my E30 on XS's without any problems. However in summer thunderstorms, I usually pulled over into a bank drive-through or a self car wash as my carbon sunroof plug leaks in two spots. I've heard the XS's are terrible in the wet, and even worse in the cold. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...csta-xs-page-9

Anyways, kuhmo XS's like some other tires mentioned before were sub par in the last round of cool auto-x tires. Why buy the middle of the road tire from the old news sector? The new stuff is better in every way and NOT any more expensive.

Kuhmo XS, Toyo R1R, Dunlop Star Spec, Hankook RS3, and Bridgestone RE-11 are all nice tires, but they are from compound technology 4-5 years old and most have replacement already or in the near future. Dunlop has the ZII, BF Goodrich came back in the market with the Rival, RS4 for Hankook, RE-11a, Kuhmo V720, etc... they are all coming out with new stuff that will surely surpass the old model.

If you want 2 sets of rims with a DD tire on one and a track/auto-x tire on the other, then I'd look at something like a continental extreme contact DW, not a has-been auto-x tire.

Just my 02¢
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            TRM C1s come in 15x8 +~20 5x120. They clear E30M brakes.
            Will they clear e36m3?
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
              Will they clear e36m3?
              Brakes? Not even a little bit. Very few 16s will clear, no 15 will.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I didn't think so. I'm not very informed on the difference between the e30m3 and e36m3 brakes other then they're both bigger then stock e30.
                sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I have e36 M3 front brakes and the 15 will not fit.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    I lived in texas for 6 months and drove my E30 on XS's without any problems. However in summer thunderstorms, I usually pulled over into a bank drive-through or a self car wash as my carbon sunroof plug leaks in two spots. I've heard the XS's are terrible in the wet, and even worse in the cold. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...csta-xs-page-9

Anyways, kuhmo XS's like some other tires mentioned before were sub par in the last round of cool auto-x tires. Why buy the middle of the road tire from the old news sector? The new stuff is better in every way and NOT any more expensive.

Kuhmo XS, Toyo R1R, Dunlop Star Spec, Hankook RS3, and Bridgestone RE-11 are all nice tires, but they are from compound technology 4-5 years old and most have replacement already or in the near future. Dunlop has the ZII, BF Goodrich came back in the market with the Rival, RS4 for Hankook, RE-11a, Kuhmo V720, etc... they are all coming out with new stuff that will surely surpass the old model.

If you want 2 sets of rims with a DD tire on one and a track/auto-x tire on the other, then I'd look at something like a continental extreme contact DW, not a has-been auto-x tire.

Just my 02¢
                    Agree'd. I chose XS's because they are one of the larger (wider) tires that will fit a 16" wheel and fit under e30 fenders without rolling. Not many 225's are made in 16" with an appropriate aspect ratio for our cars. They are not the best in the wet or cold, but neither is a car with stiff suspension and large sway bars.

Like the others said, move down to a 15" wheel and you will have many options. If you were still 4 lug, I would have a set of 15x7 Kosei K1's with your name on them. :)

Originally posted by vlad
                    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                    X