A thought on fuel tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thought on fuel tanks

My 318is with an S50 engine has trouble leaning out on right turns unless I keep the fuel tank fairly full. I'm thinking of cutting out the driver's side of the tank, and then blocking the opening between the two sides, so that it becomes a 6 gallon tank on the passenger side. I will leave the frame work intact so that the stock mounting hardware is still used, but the body of the drivers side tank will be gone.

'Think that will solve my problem?
    Richard

Interesting idea. I have the same problem, but plan on using a surge tank to fix it. Your solution is cheaper, but you lose half your capacity. If you just autox and don't drive to events it probably isn't much of an issue, however if you do drive places stopping every 120 miles for gas or topping off after every track session would get annoying pretty quickly (for me anyway).
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
      ...stopping every 120 miles for gas or topping off after every track session would get annoying pretty quickly...
      This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
        Interesting idea. I have the same problem, but plan on using a surge tank to fix it. Your solution is cheaper, but you lose half your capacity. If you just autox and don't drive to events it probably isn't much of an issue, however if you do drive places stopping every 120 miles for gas or topping off after every track session would get annoying pretty quickly (for me anyway).
        I tried driving it to an event once. The seat is way too uncomfortable, and the drone of the exhaust will drive you nuts. Earplugs don't work on low frequencies. Also, the car tends to be a cop magnet. Last time I drove it on the street, I didn't get a half a mile before I was pulled over. For these reasons, I usually trailer the car to an event.
        Richard

Comment

The solution is to convert to a hybrid fuel system. Run an early transfer pump on the left side to feed a late model high pressure pump on the right side. This is fairly documented in the track section.
          - Josh
          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by 91Saleen#15 View Post
            Last time I drove it on the street, I didn't get a half a mile before I was pulled over. For these reasons, I usually trailer the car to an event.
            Cops in your area must be asses, I drive mine to the track all the time.. Sometimes, I even remember to cover the numbers up before I leave.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Provo, UT
              t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                Cops in your area must be asses, I drive mine to the track all the time.. Sometimes, I even remember to cover the numbers up before I leave.
                I was in Vegas.
                Richard

Comment

sorry...
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X