No announcement yet.

Crankcase vacuum solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...or are not allowed to vacuum, per their rule set.

The other thought, though, is that the 'case' for crankcase vacuum is going to be pretty engine- specific. So the losses in a Chebby 396 are going to be different than in a baby six or
    a big 4...

Sure, try it!

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The exhaust crank case check valves never work.

IMO a good air/oil separator is the best option. It keeps vacuum on your rings, and keeps the oil crud from gumming up everything in your intake tract.

You need to use a true air/oil separator though, not just a catch can.

Also, I wouldn't drain the oil back into the pan....its usually not the good stuff that gets collected :)

Mishimoto sells one too, but the provent is much better priced

Mishimoto is proud to announce the release of our Baffled Oil Catch Can. With over a year of research and development time, Mishimoto has created the most effective oil catch can on the market. The Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can was designed to separate oil particles from the PCV air that would normally have just been routed back to your intake. Custom grooves in the catch can's inlet turbulates the air longer and ensures all the oil sinks to the bottom of the can, leaving nothing but clean air to pass through the 40 micron bronze filter to the intake. An internal baffle keeps the collected oil from splashing around under race conditions. The 100% billet, 6061 aluminum can accepts -AN fittings at the intlet, outlet, and drain area allowing over 27 possible configurations. For maximum fitment options, the top cog mounting setup allows the can to be mounted from multiple angles. To make maintenance easy, the drain plug can be removed to allow for -AN return to the oil pan. The can is also 100% washable, unlike many other cans that require you to replace your filtration system. The Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can is available in a variety of colors and, as with all our catch cans, comes with the unparalleled Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty you know and trust.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

An air/oil seperator is a fancy canister with baffling...how does it provide vacuum? I do agree that I do not want to add/drain the oil concotion that comes out of the crankcase back into the engine...which is why I'm pulling vacuum from my exhaust (after the oxygen sensor).

You can make your own catch can/ air-oil seperator, which is what I would do if I need one, but I'm more focused on the vacuum source right now. I just modified the OBD1 valve cover plastic connection to go from a 3/8" inlet to a 3/4" inlet....maybe I'll get more flow/vacuum.

Comment

I can't find any 'net examples of the exhaust scavenging system I remember- essentially,
          the perpetrator inserted small tubes at an angle into the header primaries such that the
          exhaust flow would create a draw out of the tubes. It seems like that would take anti-
          reversion valves, but I don't remember seeing any. This was on one bank of
          a V8, and the 'not cheater' said it could pull 15" of crankcase vacuum at full toot.

This was a LONG time ago...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X