pad suggestions for a first time HPDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pad suggestions for a first time HPDE?

I will be going to willow springs in 2 weeks (24th) for my first HPDE. I am planning on doing a full brake refresh, OE rotors, brake flush, but I have no idea what pads to run. I will be driving the car to the event (1989 325i).

Suggestions? Should I swap pads when I get to the track? If so, which pads for street which pads for track?

Thanks
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

I wouldn't go crazy if it's your first HPDE. some hawk HP+ would probably suffice.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

bleed/new fluid should do fine on that track w/ an e30/m20. If you want to upgrade a bit you could add ss lines (esp if current ones are original).

If you want pads, I've had amazing results w/ performance friction 06's (now 08's I think). Last forever, great on track, decent as a DD although a little squeaky. Just be sure you get everything bedded in correctly and you'll be good to go for a long time. There is no perfect street/track pad - you give something up somewhere.
      1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
      1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
      2002 325i (sold)
      2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I wouldn't go crazy if it's your first HPDE. some hawk HP+ would probably suffice.
        Ugh, no. The HP+ can be dangerous on track. Their maximum operating temperature is not that much higher than good street pads, and they fall off a cliff when overheated. I would much rather use regular street pads with progressive fade curves than the HP+ which will feel great right up to the point when they don't work. At all.

And for most people, they are not tolerable as street pads.

Either stick with decent street pads, or just suck it up and get PFC08s. (Which are only a couple bucks more than a set of HP+ in E30 fitment, anyway.)
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          Ugh, no. The HP+ can be dangerous on track. Their maximum operating temperature is not that much higher than good street pads, and they fall off a cliff when overheated. I would much rather use regular street pads with progressive fade curves than the HP+ which will feel great right up to the point when they don't work. At all.

And for most people, they are not tolerable as street pads.

Either stick with decent street pads, or just suck it up and get PFC08s. (Which are only a couple bucks more than a set of HP+ in E30 fitment, anyway.)
          Agreed. If you are going to buy dedicated track pads, buy actual track pads.

Comment

First track day? Stock with fresh fluid.

Second track day? HT10

Once those wear out? You should be experienced enough to know what you do/dont want in a pad and can choose any on the market.

And agreed x2 on the HP+. They worked great until they didn't, which was naturally when I was braking from 90 down to about 30 for a 90deg right hander and went waaay off.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Yeah, I ran HP+ for my first track day. Went through the pads in 4 sessions and ate the rotors. Had to limp home 1.5 hours with pretty much no brakes as I didn't bring spares, assuming a new set of pads would get me through one day. Now I take spares...
              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Make sure you bed the new pads in, and let them cool, before you beat on them.
                sigpic

Comment

First day? Whatever's on it that has more than 50% left...

I like the Textar OEM...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Carbotech (www.CTBrakes.com) pads and new high temp (DOT4) brake fluid. Their pads are easy on rotors and work very well. Call Danny Puskar at Carbotech to help you decide which compound.

Feff
                    MVP Track Time :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I think I will go with stock pads and rotors and a flush and bleed. My main goal is to learn the car as I build/upgrade it and I think maybe it would be better to first drive it with stock pads so I have a "base" understanding and I can better appreciate and understand the car before I change things too drastically.

I will definitely refer back to this for my next event(s) :) Thanks
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Ordered OEM rotors, set of stoptech street performance pads, and a set of oem pads (for backup), ATE type 200 fluid

so I will still have the original to the car pads and rotors which both had decent life left...should keep me covered
                        Shadetree30

Comment

By OEM rotors you mean what? They could be anything from cheap junk to good stuff.

FYI Brembo (not that I am in love with the brand) blanks seem to hold up best to track abuse. I like them so much I cleaned out Rock Autos stash when they went on sale some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                            By OEM rotors you mean what? They could be anything from cheap junk to good stuff.

FYI Brembo (not that I am in love with the brand) blanks seem to hold up best to track abuse. I like them so much I cleaned out Rock Autos stash when they went on sale some time ago.
                            I know my post count and join date might suggest otherwise, but I am not new to the BMW world... been into e36s and e46s for years :) just bought the e30 hence just joined r3v

that being said, I am no stranger to the danger of buying any old part labeled oem. I ordered everything from turner (I don't use them for everything, but sometimes they are convenient and priced well)... they list their "suppliers" as oem suppliers: Ate, Balo, Brembo, Zimmeran and Sebro.

THAT being said... next time I'll search around for somewhere that is selling the brembo blanks. Thanks for the tip.

I'll post up which ones turner supplies
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Any blank rotor will do fine, especially if you're on stock pads. The pad is way more important. I run pfc11s on whatever cheapo chinese blank rotors I can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X