No announcement yet.

Jongbloed 15x10 On Track Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=berlow94;4317143]Wow. Somebody used the r3v search function.
    Must know everything about me now. Including my experience working in the industry...?
    This whole stupid disagreement has gotten childish.
    Good luck with your build sir

My primary goal for the use of forums is to learn stuff,I generally sit back and read and soak in what others are saying...if I can share something I believe to be factual either from my experience or from a source I believe than I do.I'm a carpenter by trade which has about as much in common with cars as you being a bicycle mechanic...but it doesn't matter what you do if your willing to learn other things.
    Because of the way I use these types of forums I've gathered a huge amount of experience/knowledge I otherwise wouldn't have(yes most is BS but with an open mind and good BS filter you can sift thru it and get the good shit).
    I designed and built this from scratch,btw I do pretty much all my own stuff and next to nothing gets farmed out.

Awd,mid engine,4 wheel steering R1 powered Geo metro ice racer

Turbo'd,quad carb'd 4ag AE86 with full composite body.

Showing that isn't intended to show how awesome I am but to show whats possible if you open your mind and your ears and listen to other people and not just continue to do the same as everyone else says.

The OP gets it just based on his willingness to put forth effort and money to try the 10" wheels,with that mindset alone he will continue to improve the car and continue to learn what it takes to find those tenths of a second it takes to go from being fast enough to being the guy others are trying to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
      205/50/15 on a 15x8" bro, mad stance

Wow look at that stretch,not a chance a 225 is ever going to work on a 9" wheel.;)

Btw that's an exact clone of my current summer race car,well mine has cartoon sized areo but otherwise...

Comment

205/50 on a 15x8. So much stance. It actually has reverse stretch, a slight amount of tyre bulge.

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post
          Wow look at that stretch,not a chance a 225 is ever going to work on a 9" wheel.;)

Btw that's an exact clone of my current summer race car,well mine has cartoon sized areo but otherwise...
          Wait, you mean the size listed on the sidewall may be inaccurate!

Balderdash! I say my good man, Balderdash!
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
            Wow. Somebody used the r3v search function.
            Must know everything about me now. Including my experience working in the industry...?
            This whole stupid disagreement has gotten childish.
            Good luck with your build sir.
            An open mind and some humility would do you wonders. Allow me to enumerate a couple simple points.

I'll throw these in the pot, not that it needs any more examples.

205 r888 on 15x8

205 Hoosier on 15x8

205 NT01 on 15x8

You are straight-up talking out of your ass when it comes to r compound width.

2. stretch isn't always bad. GRM has proven, pretty scientifically I might add, that a 225 rival on a 15x8 is no faster on a track than a 205 rival on a 15x8. A 225 rival on a 15x9 on the other hand was significantly faster. Think about it. Stretching a tire has a "triangulation" effect on the sidewalls i.e. instead of bending to flex, the sidewall is forced to compress or extend, and can actually increase the contact patch.

3. It's not like this is the first 15x10 available. 275/35r15 A6s have been used on many an e30. You can certainly change the nature of the car by going that wide but it won't be slow "because the car will flex". It's an e30. It'll flex with 185 nankangs.

4. Nobody in here is a stance monkey, we all like going fast. A simple disagreement is no reason to flip out, calm those proverbial tits.
            Last edited by Wh33lhop; 01-06-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
              It's an e30. It'll flex with 185 nankangs.

:rofl:
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Like I said before.
                You guys are right I'm wrong. Good job!

OP I was simply trying to add my opinion about the overall width of the tire/wheels based on my experience working on fully built Porsche race cars, Daytona prototypes, spec Radicals, Formula Fords, DSR's, etc.

(Not my job working on silly ole' pedal bicycle's. Guess someone didn't do enough googling)

In 80's DTM they were using some very big wheels indeed. Center lug 18x9's actually.
                They were doing this with full adjustable tubular control arms front and rear and all spherical bearings though.
                That is the point I was trying to get across.

I saw one false fact (sorry most of my slick tire experience is with Hoosier R35A bias-ply's. Completely different construction and system of measuring.) and everybody gets all up in arms freaking the fuck out.
                Like I said, I'm sorry you're right, I'm wrong.
                Who is really the ones getting all up in tits?
                Like I also said before, OP your car looks really nicely setup and I wish you the best of luck.

I'm done with this classic R3V bullshit.
                There is a reason most real deal track groups/forums are set to private...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Wow, so much flailing in here. In other news, I can't stop saying "jongbloed" (probably incorrectly) inside my head...
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

In 80's DTM they were using some very big wheels indeed. Center lug 18x9's actually.
                    They were doing this with full adjustable tubular control arms front and rear and all spherical bearings though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Thanks very much for the feedback and info. I assumed that there would be flex issues, especially through the rear, running that size of R compound, so I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to fix any issues.

I've been studying the DTM setup and am planning on trying to fabricate tubular control arms similar to what they were running. If I get it right I may even try to produce and sell them out of my shop so others can enjoy as well. If I have to go as far as to build front and rear sub-frames from scratch I'll do that too. I love building as much as I love racing, so more projects to improve the platform are okay with me.

I think you bring up a very valid point here, though. People wouldn't want to just throw 10's with 275 A6's (A7's now I guess) onto their E30 chassis expecting great performance without putting lots of work into the chassis to accommodate the massive increase in grip. I fully expect to twist up a rear subframe or two, especially since I'm going to run the cage down through the trunk and attach the diff/subframe to it....
                    sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

There is a reason most real deal track groups/forums are set to private...

See ya later!!
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                        Wow, so much flailing in here. In other news, I can't stop saying "jongbloed" (probably incorrectly) inside my head...
                        I believe it's pronounced somewhat like Young-Blood, something along the lines of yo-ng-blowed. I'm not great at transferring pronunciation into characters, but hopefully you get the gist.

There's my contribution to this thread.

Best of luck with the setup, Rocco. Are you thinking of replicating the later iterations of the DTM trailing arms such as these?

I've got the FIA E30 M3 Homologation papers that provide quite a few trailing arms designs if you're interested. Unfortunately they're lacking detail in that they only provide a single picture of each one, but they do give a basic idea of the design.
                        75' M42 Powered 2002
                        AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                          Thanks very much for the feedback and info. I assumed that there would be flex issues, especially through the rear, running that size of R compound, so I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to fix any issues.

I've been studying the DTM setup and am planning on trying to fabricate tubular control arms similar to what they were running. If I get it right I may even try to produce and sell them out of my shop so others can enjoy as well. If I have to go as far as to build front and rear sub-frames from scratch I'll do that too. I love building as much as I love racing, so more projects to improve the platform are okay with me.

I think you bring up a very valid point here, though. People wouldn't want to just throw 10's with 275 A6's (A7's now I guess) onto their E30 chassis expecting great performance without putting lots of work into the chassis to accommodate the massive increase in grip. I fully expect to twist up a rear subframe or two, especially since I'm going to run the cage down through the trunk and attach the diff/subframe to it....
                          ^Exactly what i was getting at!^
                          Thank you!!!
                          Very interested to see what you come up with. Every picture that iv'e seen of the underbelly of the factory M3 race car's has gotten me all excited to do this.
                          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
                            I believe it's pronounced somewhat like Young-Blood, something along the lines of yo-ng-blowed. I'm not great at transferring pronunciation into characters, but hopefully you get the gist.

There's my contribution to this thread.

Best of luck with the setup, Rocco. Are you thinking of replicating the later iterations of the DTM trailing arms such as these?

I've got the FIA E30 M3 Homologation papers that provide quite a few trailing arms designs if you're interested. Unfortunately they're lacking detail in that they only provide a single picture of each one, but they do give a basic idea of the design.
                            That's really cool, thanks for sharing!
                            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

many 205

such 8"

so stretch

wow

Your wheels look awesome though, OP! I almost went with the Jongbloed since their 15x8 offset is similar to that of the 6ULs (because Miata), which suites the iX quite nicely.
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                                2. stretch isn't always bad. GRM has proven, pretty scientifically I might add, that a 225 rival on a 15x8 is no faster on a track than a 205 rival on a 15x8. A 225 rival on a 15x9 on the other hand was significantly faster. Think about it. Stretching a tire has a "triangulation" effect on the sidewalls i.e. instead of bending to flex, the sidewall is forced to compress or extend, and can actually increase the contact patch.

Hey wait, there's another 225 street tire in 15" other than RS3s? I just looked on tire rack and didn't see a 225 Rival. I need another set of street tires soon!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X