No announcement yet.

Just another spring rate thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very interested in what you think of the new setup. I have basically the same setup as your current setup and was considering the same setup you just picked up. My car is a dd/autocross and I am worried that the GC would be to harsh for everyday. I would love to get your feed back on the new setup.
    (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

I should have them by the end of next week. If that's the case, I'll try and install everything over the weekend.
      Harshness doesn't bother me a bit. Tennessee roads are pretty nice and my daily commute to work and back isn't that far.
      Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
      '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
      Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
      1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
      Check us out
      Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

hypercoil springs
        lots of sizes and rates, seem to come out just like they went in, just dirtier.

Which is what I like about them.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          lots of sizes and rates, seem to come out just like they went in, just dirtier.

Which is what I like about them.

t
          Agree!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

The anticipation is brutal. Like the jeopardy theme song on continuous loop. ......
            Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
            1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
            Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

I installed a set of Turner J Stock springs on my M3 late last year. I figured it was going to be way too stiff. I was wrong. They are perfect. 640/1080 springs. The car came with (I think) Koni sport springs with Bilstein front struts and Koni rear shocks. It was too soft, and the damping rates didn't work well together. Went to TC- Klein revalved Koni Sports front and rear, the suspension was WAY too soft and too low. Replaced those springs with what (by the part number on them) I thought were H&R race springs with the TCK Konis, also way too soft, bottomed over everything. Went to Bilstein Sports thinking the Spec E30 setup should be very good. Still way too soft bottomed over everything as well. Installed the Turners and life was good. Currently running the J stock springs with the TC Klein Konis and the car is amazing. Running a UUC 25mm front sway bar with the stock rear. The car is very neutral, very planted and predictable. Turn in is crisp and precise. No more bottoming out pulling into the garage at 2 mph. There is very little body roll as well. Ride quality wise, its firm but not harsh. (The H&R race springs were harsh, and the sport springs before those were even worse as they would blow through the travel and bottom out hard.)

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

My experience is rather similar to Will's. I tried a few different setups but the Turner J-stock setup I had on my e30 was also by far my favorite. I was running with a 21mm front sway bar and the rear unhooked, and according to my TraqMate was pulling a peak lateral force almost 1.5g on 235 width NT01's.
                88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

this has puzzled me:

Gc has been selling the 350/500 450/600 , 500/700 etc etc faw ever.....yet Toby , who I trust feels its way too biased toward oversteer...

yet again the J stock has big rear ward bias, always has...and folks love it...always have.

I bought, and am currently selling ( never instlld it) 525/700 gc set up.....

I have a friend w/ lotsa track time that runs TCK 600/600 and he looooves it......

so..Im puzzled

and a lot of pro 3 runs huge rear springs, no?..like 800?
                  I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I am puzzled, too-
                    Bob Mearns' car, which I pretty much copied as a starting point,
                    has had 600f/700r springs since HE bought it back in 2005ish.
                    I've driven it half a dozen times, in sprints and enduros. Portland
                    and Seattle. It's a well- balanced car- if anything it tends towards understeer when
                    overdriven.

And yet, when I went to 600/700 on mine, I couldn't keep the arse behind me at Portland. At all. 650/700 was a band- aid. I've tried different bars, no bars, fern bars,
                    and while things do change as you'd expect, I keep coming back to about a #100 split
                    front/rear.

I expect others do run stiffer rears (800+) but also pretty stiff fronts.
                    Then again, I'm usually towards the back of the pack, so I never get
                    much of a chance to look...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I drove a friends M3 with the Ground Control setup and the thing was nervous and twitchy. Even though at the time my car was WAY undersprung, it had way more grip and poise. I'm not sure what springs he had, but the car did not feel settled at all.

I have to admit, I'm not impressed by GCs parts. I have "race" camber plates and not only are they too short, but the contact the tops of the spring hats, and one of the mounting studs pulled through (I have since replaced all the studs and welded them more securely.) I think in the not so distant future I'm going to pick a set of the Vorshlag plates up that are the correct stack height.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

buy my V plates brand new..never used...

btw..GC has many many folks that love them.....they've done right by me...but still so many no likey
                        Last edited by JRKOUPE; 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM.
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Looky what came today! :devil:
                          Attached Files

Check us out
                          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

The thing is your driving style. Everyone has a slightly different style and when the suspension isn't setup for the way you drive it will fight against you the whole time. There is no correct setup because everyone drives differently. U St requires some trial and error to get the best setup. Just get some GC Coilovers and buy a few different spring rates, then stick with the ones u like the best.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
                            Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

..and not to forget that shocks/springs are just PART of the suspension. You still have sway bar sizing, stiffness, weight balance, tire size and pressure, brake bias..etc. setting up a competitive track car is more than just slapping a specific set of springs and coilovers on a car and going "ballz out!"

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                                ..and not to forget that shocks/springs are just PART of the suspension. You still have sway bar sizing, stiffness, weight balance, tire size and pressure, brake bias..etc. setting up a competitive track car is more than just slapping a specific set of springs and coilovers on a car and going "ballz out!"

Yes that to and even the bushings being used will make a difference
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
                                Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

Working...
                                X