Just another spring rate thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has a slightly different style
    Agreed- and #50 or even #100 here or there on springs makes sense. Especially as
    some of us use heavy bars, and others use little, blah- de- blah.

But since this is the track section, what tends to make an E30 corner fastest
    is when the front and the rear let loose at roughly the same time in steady- state
    higher- speed corners. As in, both outside tires are carrying their share of the cornering loads.
    The rears probably need a little reserve grip to allow forward traction, but the M20
    is no torque monster, and the vector math gives you a LOT of forward bite at the cost
    of little side loss, so probably not much is needed.

What makes the most sense to me is that GC is NOT accounting for added front camber.
    The stock E30 is very front- grip limited due to inadequate front camber. The rears are
    cambered quite well, especially when you factor in an inch or so of lowering. So they
    keep the fronts soft since the front tires roll over early, and let the rears take a larger part of
    the cornering load, since their geometry can handle it.
    This also might go a long ways towards explaining the big difference between SE30 and PRO3 setups. PRO3 can use front camber
    plates and small springs, so most of those cars have a minimum of -3.5 degrees front-
    and a lot of us can get over -4.
    SE30 can't use smaller springs, so they're stuck with whatever they can get by other methods,
    and while they're pretty creative, -2 would be optimistic there, I fear.

I dunno. But I do know that camber on radials is stupidly critical for lateral grip,
    and variances in THAT could easily explain quite a few things....

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I installed the GC coil over kit yesterday. It started to poor down the rain about the time I finished so I didn't get to take a whole bunch of measurements.

I cut off my front spring perches right at the weld and welded on the new perches using the old weld as a stop. The front adjusters are all the way down and the rear adjusters are up 1/4"

By looks the car is sitting about a 1/2" to 3/4" higher. I also no longer scrape going over my driveway which is a good thing.

I haven't had the chance to really play with them yet but highway driving feels great. Huge difference in stiffness but ride quality still feels good (to me anyway). I am still running the 21mm front sway bar and have the rear bar set at full stiff.

One question, how hard is the front dampening adjuster supposed to be to turn? I can't get the little knob to turn for the life of me! The rear shocks have three clicks of adjustment and I set them in the middle.

I plan on getting new tires and then playing with the car a little more. I'll update once I get a few more miles on it.

Ten miles after install
      Last edited by sgtskid; 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM.
      Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
      '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
      Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
      1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
      Check us out
      Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        SE30 can't use smaller springs, so they're stuck with whatever they can get by other methods,
        and while they're pretty creative, -2 would be optimistic there, I fear.
        You'd be surprise what a lot of them are doing to get up to 3 degree of camber. Any time you try to define a box, you know some one is going to find a way to make that box a little larger..
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

When i called GC to ask them what they recommended for my car they said they had no idea and wouldn't be able to help me haha. Then I hear about all these recommendations they give people and wonder what kind of day the guy was having. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwdayz View Post
            When i called GC to ask them what they recommended for my car they said they had no idea and wouldn't be able to help me haha. Then I hear about all these recommendations they give people and wonder what kind of day the guy was having. :(

that's strange...

but it depends on who you spoke too....
            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
              that's strange...

but it depends on who you spoke too....
              and what information you were able to supply. I spoke with two different guys and both gave me different recommendations. After a little more talking the second guy agreed with the first recommendation but said, "it's a little extreme for DD."
              Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
              1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

over the yrs...GC usually suggested in the 400/600 range to most street cars...

and it does seem most guys were happy

Comment

Just another data point...
                  I run essentially a GC kit that's friend of mine put together.
                  * Koni yellows
                  * IE rear Spring perches
                  * generic EBay front perches
                  * 550 front Eibachs
                  * 650 rear Eibachs
                  * GC 'Race' camber/caster plates
                  Caster is maxed out, camber is just under -3.5
                  * IE Spec E30 bars (non-adjustable) - 22mm, 19mm
                  * non-M swaybar drop links
                  * running 15x8 TRM C1's
                  * running Hankook Ventus RS-3's in 225/45/15
                  * 40psi square for Hot temps
                  * the car is probably in the 2,600lb range now

The front of the car feels like I could do no wrong with it. The rear is a little more sensitive, and I will be messing around with the rebound damping front and rear to try and dial it in...but honestly, it is a REALLY nice setup for my driving style.
                  I drove it back-to-back with a friend's E36 M3 yesterday, and I thought his car handled like ass...the front was plowing through turns everywhere...
                  Originally posted by LJ851
                  kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                  ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                  #teamross
                  Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

I got to play with it some on Friday and the front end felt very twitchy. Got it home and checked everything out and noticed the the front is sitting on the bump stops.

Last edited by sgtskid; 05-08-2016, 12:53 PM.

Check us out
                    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

I adjusted the perch up about an inch and I can just now see shock.
                      Attached Files

Check us out
                      Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                        Just another data point...
                        I run essentially a GC kit that's friend of mine put together.
                        * Koni yellows
                        * IE rear Spring perches
                        * generic EBay front perches
                        * 550 front Eibachs
                        * 650 rear Eibachs
                        * GC 'Race' camber/caster plates
                        Caster is maxed out, camber is just under -3.5
                        * IE Spec E30 bars (non-adjustable) - 22mm, 19mm
                        * non-M swaybar drop links
                        * running 15x8 TRM C1's
                        * running Hankook Ventus RS-3's in 225/45/15
                        * 40psi square for Hot temps
                        * the car is probably in the 2,600lb range now

The front of the car feels like I could do no wrong with it. The rear is a little more sensitive, and I will be messing around with the rebound damping front and rear to try and dial it in...but honestly, it is a REALLY nice setup for my driving style.
                        I drove it back-to-back with a friend's E36 M3 yesterday, and I thought his car handled like ass...the front was plowing through turns everywhere...

a few things:

your car has a nice set up.....but u don't say what the e36 had????....lol...an equally set up e36/M should really feel as good or better...u know that

what exactly is wrong w/ your rear?...loose, tight?..

is this driving on street or track...or?...how can folks really say what a car is like on the street?.....I mean u really cant get a true read w/o doing some stupid stuff on the street.

Comment

I took the M3 autoXing this weekend. My girlfriend did her first autocross in it and finished a solid mid pack (overall). I missed out on TTOD by less than a second. The car was flawless in handling. I could do no wrong. Amazing amounts of grip in the wet. A little more camber up front would eliminate the mild understeer chatter that I was getting through a couple long sweeping corners. I'm going to call the car dialed in at this point.

Will
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                            a few things:

your car has a nice set up.....but u don't say what the e36 had????....lol...an equally set up e36/M should really feel as good or better...u know that

what exactly is wrong w/ your rear?...loose, tight?..

is this driving on street or track...or?...how can folks really say what a car is like on the street?.....I mean u really cant get a true read w/o doing some stupid stuff on the street.

JRKoupe,
                            The E36 was relatively stock, with BC coils, adjustable rear arms, running 2.2 degrees negative camber up front. Needed more. Full interior still. It was my first time driving an E36 M3 at a track, and it felt really safe and stable at the rear. Geared waaaaaaaay too long, too. All of these things are easy to fix, provided you have enough time, money and skill.

And yes, we were at the track. RPM in Iowa, formerly known as MAM. This was my second weekend there, and it is a pretty tight, twisty track.

The rear of the car is just a bit loose. It wants to rotate pretty easily. But honestly, I think it is pretty close.
                            Originally posted by LJ851
                            kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                            ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                            #teamross
                            Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Looks like GC is sending me a new set of Koni's.
                              I had issues from day one with adjusting the rebound. Before I installed the shocks I tried to adjust them to see where they were set. The knob wouldn't turn either direction. I called GC and they said to try and drive on it some and see if it loosens up. That didn't work. I tried jacking the car up and taking the weight off it. That didn't work either. The last piece of advice GC gave me was to loosen the gland nut and see if that helped. Nothing.

I actually ended up breaking the knob on the top of the shock. :(
                              I sent GC a quick video of the installation and showed the gland nut loose and the broken adjuster. I got an email this morning saying a new set of shocks were in the mail.

On a side note- I bought a new set of wheels (15x9 15et) and some BFG Rivals (I wanted Maxxis Victra but they were back ordered). The rims fit the rear no issue but the front rubbed the strut. No surprise I had already ordered 5mm spacers and now I am waiting on them to get here. ;D

Check us out
                              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

I've had more Koni yellow trouble in the last few years than i have in the previous 15-

I have to say, GC has been fantastic in getting things fixed/replaced.

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X