R Comp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R Comp advice

I'd like to upgrade to r-comps after doing several events all on RS-3s, rivals and star specs. Mounting to 15x8 so I'd like to stay 225/45. Looking for any input on heat cycles, grip etc.
    sigpic
    1991 318is S52
    1987 325i Vert
    1991 325i
    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Toyo RR's are a good starting point, in my opinion. They last forever and have a relatively soft sidewall, so lots of slip angle and pretty forgiving. BFG R1's seem to be a little quicker, and also have a really long usable life but I don't know as much about them... I'm hoping to try a set pretty soon.

I'd stay away from Hoosiers/Contientals to start with.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

You're gonna break your dick off with r-comps, that's all I gotta say.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Can't say I've had that problem yet. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
          You're gonna break your dick off with r-comps, that's all I gotta say.
          Well I certainly don't want a broken dick. The struggle is real.
          sigpic
          1991 318is S52
          1987 325i Vert
          1991 325i
          2011 e70 X5

Comment

Yo, not to play devil's advocate here, but why R-comps? In my opinion, unless you're competing in some way -- autocross, time trial, wheel to wheel, it's not really worth getting them unless you're committed to running rain and dry tires, bringing them back and forth to the track, and replacing them when they start falling off, which is not cheap.

You could probably find the time delta by hiring a coach and getting seat time.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yea, I don't feel like the "step up" to R-Comps is really worth it. I've spent pretty much all of my time on track with RR's being a Spec E30 racer. They tend to be very picky about track surfaces. At smoother tracks that aren't hard on tires they're pretty fast all the way down to the chords. On the other hand, on tough aggregate surfaces they're very fast on their first heat cycle and for consecutive heat cycles you tend to get one fast lap out of them, then they drop a second or more in the following laps.

I recently had my first experience on Star Specs on a track with a tough surface and I was thoroughly impressed with them. They were far more consistent than RR's through a stint and really not much slower initially. If anything, I'd say they were faster over the long run. I set my fastest lap in one of the races on one of the last laps which would not have been possible on RR's unless I had been in super heavy traffic until the end of the race.

So yea, the "R-Street" tires really aren't that far behind some of their R-Comp counterparts. For DE's especially, I don't really see any reason to deviate from tires like the Star Specs. I can't really comment on tires like the BFG R1 or Hoosier A/R7's, but I know for certain that they won't have as consistent of a grip level as some of the R-Street's and they're definitely a lot more expensive for a less durable tire.
              75' M42 Powered 2002
              AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
                Yea, I don't feel like the "step up" to R-Comps is really worth it. I've spent pretty much all of my time on track with RR's being a Spec E30 racer. They tend to be very picky about track surfaces. At smoother tracks that aren't hard on tires they're pretty fast all the way down to the chords. On the other hand, on tough aggregate surfaces they're very fast on their first heat cycle and for consecutive heat cycles you tend to get one fast lap out of them, then they drop a second or more in the following laps.

I recently had my first experience on Star Specs on a track with a tough surface and I was thoroughly impressed with them. They were far more consistent than RR's through a stint and really not much slower initially. If anything, I'd say they were faster over the long run. I set my fastest lap in one of the races on one of the last laps which would not have been possible on RR's unless I had been in super heavy traffic until the end of the race.

So yea, the "R-Street" tires really aren't that far behind some of their R-Comp counterparts. For DE's especially, I don't really see any reason to deviate from tires like the Star Specs. I can't really comment on tires like the BFG R1 or Hoosier A/R7's, but I know for certain that they won't have as consistent of a grip level as some of the R-Street's and they're definitely a lot more expensive for a less durable tire.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think you are right and i may stick with RS-4's.
                sigpic
                1991 318is S52
                1987 325i Vert
                1991 325i
                2011 e70 X5

Comment

Another consideration is that the stickier the tire, the more stress you're putting on the chassis during cornering. May not seem like a problem, but it may become an issue.
                  Last edited by c0rbin9; 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM.
                  1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

For the street the Hankooks are pretty hard to beat. AutoXing, true R compounds with a treadwear of 40 or less will be fastest, and you might get a season out of them before they either cord or heat cycle out. On the Street you will chew them up in a heartbeat. The upside is that they heat up fast. For track use I like Toyo RA1s, or something like them. They have a higher treadwear and a higher tolerance for heat, but take longer than softer tires to heat up.

It really depends on what you are doing with the car.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I have nitto nt01 r comps and driven them on the street often they are hard and vibrate alot through the steering wheel, but the grip is amazing but for the comfort I would have gone with rs3/4 Only reason why I bought the nt01 was that they were $100 cheaper than the rs3 at the time.

Comment

Bought the RS-4's. I've loved both versions of the RS-3's and after hearing everyones input it makes more sense to stick with street tires. Not like i'm winning some grand prize for HPDE's.

I'll let you guys know my impressions of the new RS-4's though and thanks for the suggestions everyone.
                        sigpic
                        1991 318is S52
                        1987 325i Vert
                        1991 325i
                        2011 e70 X5

Comment

I think everyone's curious to see how the R-S4s are!

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

If you want to try out some RR's after heat cycling without breaking the bank, many SM and SE30's will leave throw-away at the tire changing guy at the track - or ask around, they sell cheap used. They will be 205's, but they will be fine on 8".
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

We run R888's on our track car. It's all I've run besides some really old Falken Azenis on my first track day years ago. They changed the compound last year on the R888's and we have not had any issues with the "ring of death" that we used to get.

This is 2 guys running back to back sessions in Intermediate and Advanced for 6-10 track days per year. We replace them at the rate of about 1.25 sets/year, so they take some serious abuse and tons of heat cycles. For HDPE's I don't think it matters, but we may be a little slower once they have lots of heat cycles on them. We will have to see how the new compound holds up this year, but they felt great for the final HDPE we did last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X