Prep for a drift event....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prep for a drift event....?

This is mostly directed to rwdrift, e30 gangsta, protomor, etc....

What all should I do to make sure my car doesn't break in half at a drift event? More specifically, are there any parts in the rear that I should watch carefully/replace before hand? I'm well aware of the stress it puts on the motor/trans, so I'm more interested in the suspension aspect of it. I haven't replaced my rear subframe bushings, same with rear trailing arms.... I intend to replace both of these soon, but should I do so before I get sideways? Please let me know what all you guys do.

Thanks,
    Thomas

yes
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by tomgt325 View Post
      This is mostly directed to rwdrift, e30 gangsta, protomor, etc....

What all should I do to make sure my car doesn't break in half at a drift event? More specifically, are there any parts in the rear that I should watch carefully/replace before hand? I'm well aware of the stress it puts on the motor/trans, so I'm more interested in the suspension aspect of it. I haven't replaced my rear subframe bushings, same with rear trailing arms.... I intend to replace both of these soon, but should I do so before I get sideways? Please let me know what all you guys do.

Thanks,
      Thomas

Unless you find yourself in an accident, the e30 is pretty bulletproof. One thing I've always carried is extra water, a quart of oil, massive zip-ties and JB weld. Those 4 items saved my ass a handful of times and allowed me to limp home from any issue I had.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

what did you use the jub weld on?
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Once my radiator cracked at the slot where you slide in the return hose to the tstat housing. I JB welded the whole piece back into the radiator. Made it home with no problems.
          Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
          FullOpp Stickers for sale!
          NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
          Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
          ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Don't forget the 500mph tape...

Just bring the same things you would to a normal track day, thats really all it is. You may want to consider more spare rubber however.

Comment

i jb welded/duct taped this inch long gash in my oil pan and made it home 30 miles away
              true story
              Originally posted by ebelements
              Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

good advice in here. But i would definalty upgrade your subframe bushings 1st they make a world of diffrence.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                  good advice in here. But i would definalty upgrade your subframe bushings 1st they make a world of diffrence.
                  deff planning on that, thanks for the advice everyone!!

looks like i should invest in a little more jb weld

Comment

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
                    i jb welded/duct taped this inch long gash in my oil pan and made it home 30 miles away
                    true story
                    I cracked my oil pan during a "lunch break cruise" before a college class years ago, for some reason it only leaked oil when the engine was shut off (at which point it poured pretty good). It was finals for that class, so I let the car running right outside the classroom window for an hour and drove 1.5 hours home, left it running 4 hours while I covered it with jb weld and it dried. It's been that way ever since, without leaking a drop.

Sorry, I guess this thread isn't story time, that post just reminded me...
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

^LOL

You couldn't do that now, it'd be cheaper to dump the oil and refill instead of idling for hours;)

I've cracked pans on the baffeled side and made it home in the winter, only to fine a puddle of oil in the morning. Ice chunks on the road FTL.

Comment

Also rear shock mounts. it would suck to sit out for something so stupid

Comment

i would add a tube of the Right Stuff

Dries is minutes, good for anything.
                          NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

make sure your iceskates are laced all the way up .. it gets tough out there

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                              I cracked my oil pan during a "lunch break cruise" before a college class years ago, for some reason it only leaked oil when the engine was shut off (at which point it poured pretty good). It was finals for that class, so I let the car running right outside the classroom window for an hour and drove 1.5 hours home, left it running 4 hours while I covered it with jb weld and it dried. It's been that way ever since, without leaking a drop.

Sorry, I guess this thread isn't story time, that post just reminded me...
                              god damn got any pics of that? how big was that hole?
                              Originally posted by ebelements
                              Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Working...
                              X