racing seats, FIA or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

racing seats, FIA or not?

I'm investigating racing seats for my e30. I'm seeing some that are FIA approved and some that are not, with the approved seats being almost double the price of unapproved ones. When would I need an approved seat and when would an unapproved seat make me ineligable to race (track and autox)?

Example:

Sparco evo 2 plus: FIA Homologated to 8855-1999 standard http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...VO-2-PLUS-SEAT

Sparco Speed: NOT Fia homologated for competition use http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...RCO-SPEED-SEAT
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

comparing those seats is like comparing apples to oranges, take a look at the sparco sprint, it is an fia homologated speed afaik. the evo 2 is a much nicer fiberglass seat.

also, it depends on the sanctioning body, but most places don't require fia approved seats. your best bet is to check the rules of who you plan on competing with.

Comment

For wheel to wheel racing (Spec E30, etc) you will need an FIA seat. For HPDE, track days and autox you will not.

Comment

wrong wrong wrong
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

IIRC, you just need a seat back brace on non-FIA or 5+ year old FIA...
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Hmmm... Good to know, I can shop a little cheaper now

Comment

Originally posted by jrighter View Post
              Hmmm... Good to know, I can shop a little cheaper now
              Check the rules for the class you are running, don't take my word for it. I could be wrong.

Comment

Yes, the short of it is; check the rules for any club that you might be running with: NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc. Then go sit in a bunch of seats to find out which one fits your body. You sound like you only want to do this once so you might as well do it the right way.
                sigpic
                '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Thank you very much for the input guys!

Dave: what is so wrong?
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
                    Dave: what is so wrong?
                    For wheel to wheel racing (Spec E30, etc) you will need an FIA seat.
                    "We've stumbled along for a while, trying to run a new civilization in old ways, but we've got to start to make this world over." -Thomas Edison, 1912

Comment

Straight from the Spec E30 rules. I'm shocked.... At least I can use my current race seat if I wanna. I think I'll still get an FIA seat eventually.
                      9.3.13.1. Driver and passenger seat may be replaced with any race seat, unless specified in
                      these regulations.

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      Check the rules for the class you are running, don't take my word for it. I could be wrong.

Comment

Straight from the Spec E30 rules. I'm shocked.... At least I can use my current race seat if I wanna. I think I'll still get an FIA seat eventually.
                        9.3.13.1. Driver and passenger seat may be replaced with any race seat, unless specified in
                        these regulations.

From what I understand, the Spece30 Regs overrule the NASA CCR in the case of a conflict, but is this really a conflict?

Originally posted by NASA CCR
                        15.6.22 Seat Back Support
                        A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a
                        crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects
                        should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in
                        a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is
                        recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for
                        this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats
                        homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 standards. Those
                        seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-
                        1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat
                        back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA
                        regulations. http://www.fia.com/

Comment

JGood, that is only in reference to the seat back brace. It is stating that if a seat is FIA certified then it does not require a back brace. Below is the NASA rule for seats, note that the specific racing series may still require an FIA seat (although Spec E30 does not).

15.16.1 Racing Seat
                          Some series require an approved racing seat. It is strongly recommend that a racing
                          seat be installed in all vehicles. A racing seat is of solid design; not “tube and cloth”
                          designs commonly found in passenger cars. It can be very difficult to properly brace a
                          “tube and cloth” type seat and the vehicle may not pass technical inspection.
                          Additionally, the cloth or material on a “stock” seat is typically not flame retardant.
                          Therefore, the proper installation of a racing seat is strongly recommended.
                          sigpic
                          '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Ahhh, yeah I thought he was under the impression a non-FIA seat is OK to use without a back brace. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little slow in the mornings...

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                              Ahhh, yeah I thought he was under the impression a non-FIA seat is OK to use without a back brace. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little slow in the mornings...
                              I wouldn't use any seat with a back brace if it was not designed for that. BMWCCA Club Racing indeed requires outdated FIA seats to have a back brace. But it has concerned many drivers, and I am not even sure the rule still applies.
                              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Working...
                              X