bedding in pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bedding in pads?

I'm about to drop $300 on HT-10s. Can I break these in on the track (during the warmup) or should I drive them on the street first? I'm also going to use my spare rotors I have sitting under the house, and they have a bit of surface rust on them.. I'll probably clean them up a bit, but it should clear up pretty quickly right?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

you can just as long as you let them cool after. you could miss track time this way. i broke in my blues on the street and let them vent all they wanted while they cooled down. i'd like to hear what people say about this.

where are you buying HT10's? i spent that much on blues getting ready for RRR may2-3!!
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Probably elephant motorsports. It's not quite $300, but I'm getting some extra brake fluid too.

it sounds expensive but not as bad as trashing 4 brand new Hawk HPS and a full set of rotors. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

make sure they cool down! I do this about an hour prior to going on track. There is a huge skidpad area adjacent to the paddock at our track where I do this.

Comment

sessions should be 20-30 minutes. If I'm easy enough on them during the first part, they'll have an hour or so to cool down before I go back out. Think that's fine?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            sessions should be 20-30 minutes. If I'm easy enough on them during the first part, they'll have an hour or so to cool down before I go back out. Think that's fine?
            You are really only supposed to do like 4 stops before letting them cool. I wouldnt do a whole session on un-bed pads. Read the instructions on the box.

Comment

Just drive to the track with your pads. Don't warm them up too much. On the highway, apply the brakes, gently from time to time, just to mate the surfaces. Usually, I would drive around the paddocks for 5 minutes, while gently applying the brakes from time to time.
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

bed time

Ive prolly read 30 pages on proper bedding ....

...but to me its no big deal....... I install the pads the day before.....and go to a quiet street....get up to 50 mph or so and brake firmly to 5 mph and then get off pedal........do it 5 -6 x.....drive her home and park for till the early am before I head to track......I run HT 10s for yrs...
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

bed time

Ive prolly read 30 pages on proper bedding ....

...but to me its no big deal....... I install the pads the day before.....and go to a quiet street....get up to 50 mph or so and brake firmly to 5 mph and then get off the stop pedal........do it 4 -5 x.....drive her home and park till the early am before I head to track......I run HT 10s for yrs...
                  Last edited by JRKOUPE; 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM.
                  I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Get the PFC's from Bimmerworld instead. Better modulation and much easier on rotors, plus no bedding necessary.

JP
                    sigpic
                    DE's are a tease.
                    Build a racecar.

Comment

Chris, I have a set of brand new HT10's for like $90 if you are interested.

I usually did breakin on the street the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
                        Get the PFC's from Bimmerworld instead. Better modulation and much easier on rotors, plus no bedding necessary.
                        Well said and absolutely true!
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by cheades View Post
                          Chris, I have a set of brand new HT10's for like $90 if you are interested.

I usually did breakin on the street the day before.
                          oh yeah, I'll take them for sure. is that fronts or rears?

I guess I'll break them on the street, but that means I have to do it the week before. the track day is on a wednesday but the wife hates it when I work on my car on the weekend, so I was hoping to stick them on in the paddock.

thanks for the reccomendations guys, but really I'm just looking for something better than what I ran last year. It won't matter if I'm half a second slower or whatever, I just don't want to lose my brakes after 5 laps. I love HPS on the street though (especially the low dust part).
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just give me a call when you want to stop by and grab them, only takes about 10min to install them and I am sure you could get away with not bedding them. They are for the front.

Comment

okay, probably next monday or tuesday.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X