This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    I had no leaks, except for a touch of oil condensation on the bottom of the pan when I had the motor in my car... Maybe a drip or two a week, nothing more. Didn't leak at all in my driveway the day it was delievered when I test ran it. Wonder what happened?? Best of luck though, that engine was a champ in my car. Shouldn't have been the valve cover as that was done July 7th with the Besian vanos shims...

I did recommend going over the engine when it was out, just as was done when mine was swapped. Feel bad though... Seriously question as to what happened between pulling, transportation and install?
    No big deal buddy, i'll get it all finished soon. Changed valve cover , lets see if their is any other leaks. Taking it one step at a time. Thanks for the motor though buddy , looking forward to running this on the track/autocross.

Comment

anyone have a spare weave i can buy? Idc what color it is. i just need one weave

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
        anyone know the reason for high hc?
        I think a lean or misfire.

A rich condition can cause high HC but not without high CO2.
        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Anyone know how to go about to get a motorswap BAR'd?

Comment

for what purpose? the JC by where i live does a lot of BAR checks.
            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
              for what purpose? the JC by where i live does a lot of BAR checks.
              Because the set up I have, was fully bar'd in someone elses car. Rather just get it legal.

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                I think a lean or misfire.

A rich condition can cause high HC but not without high CO2.
                Hmm. I believe it was HC. I can't remember for sure. But my m3 failed the first run and passed the second time just barely.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by Robert23 View Post
                  Because the set up I have, was fully bar'd in someone elses car. Rather just get it legal.

El Camino College i think does bar.. your car has to look as stock as possible. no shiny headers or intake and i'm not sure but cat has to be from car and not aftermarket.

Your gay just smog it and that's it, go to where Jerick takes his cars.

"Hard Work Pays Off"

1991-bmw 325i (R3vvd)
                  1990- 325 (mpowa)(GC)(track)(beast)
                  1988- 528e (daily driven when track car broken)

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
                    El Camino College i think does bar.. your car has to look as stock as possible. no shiny headers or intake and i'm not sure but cat has to be from car and not aftermarket.

Your gay just smog it and that's it, go to where Jerick takes his cars.
                    I wanna make it legal! I have OEM E36 Exhaust & Cats, Looks 100% stock.

Comment

Robert they do bar.here in torrance @ el.comino .

You must get your cat hot b4 a smog run.
                      Valves not being adjusted wont effect it. Make sure theres no intake or exhaust leaks. Hows the idle? Only reason I say this, my car passed with a chipped dme , and org. Oem cat. It needs a valve adjust bad, im running cheap plugs and I have a small exhaust leak at the headers.

Comment

I wanna make it legal! I have OEM E36 Exhaust & Cats, Looks 100% stock.

Did you miss the part on headers/intake?

"Hard Work Pays Off"

1991-bmw 325i (R3vvd)

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
                          Did you miss the part on headers/intake?
                          stock headers. they passed this motor with a k&n cone filter.

Comment

You also need the e36 charcole canister. Everything has to look oem. Then has to pass smog at e36 specs

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
                              Hmm. I believe it was HC. I can't remember for sure. But my m3 failed the first run and passed the second time just barely.
                              you might have been in open loop the first run.

HC is incomplete combustion so it could be either lean or rich. Can't really know without the other numbers. The problem with smog is that it's a system.

So you can look at NOx (combustion temps) and try to figure out the cause and look at the HC (incomplete combustion) and try to figure out the cause. But you can't look at them in isolation.

So I'm just thinking out loud here. If you had high O2 that would be excess oxygen...that would indicate that you were lean, right (not enough fuel mixing with the air to get the right ratio)? dunno check that against my earlier statement about which way indicates lean. and if you were lean you're misfiring and the combustion temps go higher leading to more NOx.

so you can try and reason this stuff out.
                              that page I linked provides an even deeper explanation of what is actually happening when the piston is moving up and down in the cylinder that's beyond my knowledge so I can't really paraphrase it for you.

I don't really know what e30trooper is talking about. He's repeating things he's heard but not really explaining his reasoning so I think probably best to ignore advice like that and do your maintenance. I explained what happens when valves are out of adjustment.
                              Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

stock headers. they passed this motor with a k&n cone filter.

passing smog and getting it bar'd is different.

You need a box to cover up the filter. idk what box it is ask some of the swap guys what box they used. But do not try to go with a cone filter. They will send you back home.

"Hard Work Pays Off"

1991-bmw 325i (R3vvd)

Comment

Working...
                                X