This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djmossm42 View Post
    So the only way to have AC is to convert the system to 134 if it hasn't already been done?

What's the average cost to do this?
    no there are still some shops that can recharge your r12 and do it properly. Not sure of the price tho, might be more expensive since its not as common..? can anyone chime in :)
    FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
    My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Comment

So the only way to have AC is to convert the system to 134 if it hasn't already been done?

I recently bought all the components necessary (and then decided racecar and sold it all), parallel flow condensor, drier, r134 expansion valve, pressure switch and assorted r134 compatible o-rings ran me ~230 for all oem

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by unitt01 View Post
        no there are still some shops that can recharge your r12 and do it properly. Not sure of the price tho, might be more expensive since its not as common..? can anyone chime in :)
        I seriously doubt it's R12. Like I said, it was made illegal by the EPA in the 90's so it'd be pretty risky for a shop to sell it. What shops typically use is an R12 compatible refrigerant like Freeze 12, etc. but they aren't as cold as the real deal. It was like a band aid fix since converting to 134A was expensive at the time. By now stock AC systems are almost 30 years old and probably leaking anyway. I would source all new stuff, have the compressor rebuilt for R134A and just convert over. That way you can refill with those $5 cans from Autozone.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The right way;
          New condenser
          New drier
          New expansion valve
          R134 fittings
          New switches
          Replace all o rings
          Clean/drain old lines
          New a/c belt
          Working compressor
          Refill

Enjoy life.
          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like a new project on the list...

B
            Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
            LED Bulb Thread
            R6 LED Review

Comment

I bought all the ac items but decided against it and sold it all.

Comment

Legal to sell in Mexico, so it is still available. Gotta shop around for the real price.

Comment

Originally posted by Cayoncrusier93 View Post
                  I believe those are already there. My car was converted to 134 back in 2004 (it has a conversion sticker). I've charged the system with regular store bought 134 canisters before so i think those fittings are the right ones. So it's a straight compressor swap for me? I read about draining and flushing the lines to remove metal from the lines as well.
                  If that conversion was done back in 2004,you should be ready to go.Swap out the compressor and evac and recharge with freon and enjoy it !
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I'm going to attempt to do full bilsteins, h and r race spring and an e36 rack swap all in one night....
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Ambitious. I need to do a rack swap.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                        Ambitious. I need to do a rack swap.
                        hopefully I don't just get buzzed and order pizza.

I need to figure out how long the spacers are in the steering knuckle somehow, because I'm going to make my own bushings/spacers. So, if anyone has any idea, it will help out a lot.
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          hopefully I don't just get buzzed and order pizza.

I need to figure out how long the spacers are in the steering knuckle somehow, because I'm going to make my own bushings/spacers. So, if anyone has any idea, it will help out a lot.
                          Pretty sure the dimensions are on the internet all over the place. Or just measure it when you pull it off. Its pretty straight forward when its in your hand

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            I'm going to attempt to do full bilsteins, h and r race spring and an e36 rack swap all in one night....
                            I was lazy and used washers for spacers. I did swap it in one night though. Be sure you have that means to bend the line at home.

Edit: I'll mention I swapped the rubber steering disc with a urethane one many months before, so in that regard it was much easier to just undo the bolts, rather than spending extra time cutting the rivets out.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                              I was lazy and used washers for spacers. I did swap it in one night though. Be sure you have that means to bend the line at home.

Edit: I'll mention I swapped the rubber steering disc with a urethane one many months before, so in that regard it was much easier to just undo the bolts, rather than spending extra time cutting the rivets out.
                              I have access to a full shop! So, I have everything I need!

Comment

Question regarding H&R/Bilstein Sport. Does the race spring need to be compressed, or is the spring short enough to put the top mount on?

Comment

Working...
                                X