This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    so.. are you saying that getting this is not a great idea? It's tempting me pretty hard..
    Honestly not unless you couldn't live without it. These cars are built in a shed with dim lighting haha. Even making the windows roll up and down is ridiculous. It uses a whole cable and pulley system that would drive you mad. If you ever broke a windshield good luck.. All of them I've replaced have come from overseas and weren't easy to find over there. If you dived into that GTV I'd estimate at least 4-5 years before it was near complete, and which by then you would have aged 10 years from all the stress. If you had to have one I'd look for someones half done project car that they've given up on. Out of all the older vehicles I've worked on I'd say alfa are one of the most stressful. I'd rather work on old porsche's all day. Oh and you thought e30 pans sat low :rofl:

Here's some random shots while on the job.

Last edited by E30_Pare; 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
      Also, everyone should give this a listen. It's keeping me company at work and it's pretty great.

https://m.soundcloud.com/cold-fresh-...eshpillows-mix
      meh. too 2005 Chillout for me.

im listening to http://youtu.be/TrWJp3lHm1Y
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

anyone have an M20 motronic 1.3 harness handy?
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          so.. are you saying that getting this is not a great idea? It's tempting me pretty hard..
          To be honest, yes and no. I had a '69 US Spec GTV (that is a later one, mine was 1530324) and it was a fantastic car. Even after sitting untouched for 30 years I had it reliably driving in a month and a half. Here is the thing about US spec '69 GTVs however, lots of specific parts that weren't shared on the 71s (there were no '70 GTVs brought into the US). The seats are unique, and pretty comfortable actually. The fuel injection pump, brake master cylinder, gas tank, are all unique to the '69 as well. Now, the good news is that Alfa Parts in Berkeley has many or can get many of the parts. Oh yeah, the heater control valve is different, but you can use a later cheaper plastic one (I went through a small pile of them, they'd last 6-8 months then blow up at the most inopportune times dumping hot coolant all over my foot.) The brake masters are a floor mounted dual circuit type that up till recently was NLA, however Centerline Alfa has started producing them.

The good news is that because there were only 640 US Spec GTVs built, and perhaps 200 of them are left, the clean ones bring the most money of all the GTVs aside from a real GTA (with the Aluminum body) The 1750 motor is also better than the 2l. It made more power, higher redline (still low in my mind but whatever) and is less prone to blowing head gaskets. The transmissions use a Porsche style steel servo-syncro design that is known to be a good design, but like most transmissions from that age, 2nd gear gets tired. The rear end will be an open diff, however you can swap a taller LSD rear end in no problem. The stock 4.56 rear end is really too low for anything. I put a 4.10 rebuilt to have a 56% lockup in and the car and it was all win.

Is that car worth saving? Yes you bet. Its not going to be cheap however. Because its a '69 and there are so many unique parts to a '69, it might take some time. It does have a fair bit of rust, but again, patch panels are pretty easy to find, and new panels are being made in England. As far as GTVs go, the '69 US spec is the holy grail, short of a GTA, or one of the 12 real GTAMs (based off the '69 US Spec GTV. If you see a GTAM listed as anything but a '69 you can call BS because it is. You can't have a '67 GTAM since the car was two years before the original car it was based on was released.

If you are serious about looking into this one, let me know, I'd be happy to answer questions or perhaps take a look at the car with you. It will be expensive to restore, but it will also bring top dollar if done right.

Will
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Went on Colorado general chat... Was disappointed..

Feedback!
            Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
            Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Blurry but idgaf

Feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

If you are serious about looking into this one, let me know, I'd be happy to answer questions or perhaps take a look at the car with you. It will be expensive to restore, but it will also bring top dollar if done right.

Will
                At least you'll know that GTV's will only go up in value

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Do you guys know which correct gap to use on the ngk zgr5a plugs? I have a stock m20, i read people gap theirs around 0.25 to 0.28.

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by Freakshow View Post
                    Do you guys know which correct gap to use on the ngk zgr5a plugs? I have a stock m20, i read people gap theirs around 0.25 to 0.28.

Really i find that gap varies. .28 is a starting point, but my car was idling rough so i opened the gap to .32-34. I was slightly advanced on the timing though :), but the butt dyno sensed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by E30_Pare; 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                      At least you'll know that GTV's will only go up in value
                      5 or so years ago there was a silver '69 US Spec 1750 GTV at the RM (I think) auction at Monterey. It was an older restoration that was about the same condition my unrestored '69 was in at the time. It went for $40k+. The market has softened a little, but the nice cars are still bringing $30K+

They really are pretty simple cars, I think the hardest part to restoring one is finding the correct parts, but even that is getting easier. On the later '71-'75 cars, many of the parts from the spiders are interchangeable, engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, suspension, brakes, brake booster, and master cylinders. It makes finding parts both a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                        Really i find that gap varies. .28 is a starting point, but my car was idling rough so i opened the gap to .32-34. I was slightly advanced on the timing though :), but the but dyno sensed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks. I will play around with the gap, starting at .28 then more if needed.

Comment

Thanks. I will play around with the gap, starting at .28 then more if needed.
                          .27 +-.04 is spec.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

thanks i will try that first.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              meh. too 2005 Chillout for me.

im listening to http://youtu.be/TrWJp3lHm1Y
                              SOUNDCLOUD WASN'T WORKING FOR ME.
                              JUST MADE THIS SONG, NOT FULLY DONE THO BUT GETTING THERE
                              Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
                              "I wanna see da boat movie"
                              "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Aren't NGKs preset? I've never been able to set the gap on an NGK spark plug...

Feedback!

Comment

Working...
                                X