Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
      Do a K20 franken swap and stomp M50 guys
      no fucking way is that going to sneak through a CARB ref inspection.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Well there's that..
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          no fucking way is that going to sneak through a CARB ref inspection.
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
            Before buying a new cat, check for vacuum leaks and make sure the injectors are in good shape, new plug wires, distributor cap/rotor, etc. The car may be running lean, causing higher combustion temperatures (aka too high of NOX). A new o2 sensor would probably not hurt either (usually a good start with many emissions problems).

If you had high HC (unburn fuel, running rich, etc.) then I'd say look at welding in a new cat if everything else was in check.

CA smog just keeps getting tougher and tougher....

I don't think it is lean, it doesn't smell lean.

Here are my test results:
            Test RPM CO2 O2 HCmax HCmeas COmac COmeas NOmax NOmeas
            15MPH 1798 13.9 0.6 114 161 0.73 0.54 785 1838
            25MPH 1938 13.9 0.6 89 145 0.61 0.62 724 1930

I replaced my O2 sensor and aftermarket cat 2 years ago.
            Had a tune up (Valve adjustment, new plugs, oil and filters) in December.

My mechanic hooked up a volt meter to the O2 sensor and it bubbled around under .1 at idle. If he reved the engine, it went up to .9 volts.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
              dude. M52 aluminum swap it and be wowed. rebuilding an m42 only goes well 50% of the time.
              Theres a low mileage one for sale down here. PM thatphysicsguy

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post

yay :D
              give us deets!?!?!
              Last edited by 2mAn; 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

yup the blue one. it's the only one i got.
                No way we'd be able to afford that thing
                $5500 is like max we got to spend

Comment

I'm taking my BS car to RyanG tomorrow. Still cant get it to run rich enough.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Sina where are you now?

srsly skip the m42. F22C1 swap it if you have to have 4cyl.
                    I am in San Diego (didn't you voice your opinion on that photo I posted last night?) ;)

I landed a yob in Chicago after graduation in June, but training is on Wall St. this summer.
                    Then after the 18 months I'm set to be in Chicago, I'm gonna try to make it back to NYC.
                    3-5 year plan is to come back to CA.

Everything car-related will be put on hold till then. I'm probably going to buy a beater Volvo 850R, S70 T5, or an S60R with a stick.

Originally posted by danix View Post
                    Yes, Alignment Services in Walnut Creek.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alignment-services-walnut-creek
                    Thanks for the tip! I will consider that if I cannot find anything in Alameda (reason why is my parents live in Alameda, and they'll be facilitating the towing, repair of it)
                    ... I'm just going to be funding it and providing instruction for what to do.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

damn dude. big leagues right off the bat

Comment

About to start putting Koni's and H&R Race springs on my car. Sugg stions on where to adjust the shocks to as a starting point?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post

My mechanic hooked up a volt meter to the O2 sensor and it bubbled around under .1 at idle. If he reved the engine, it went up to .9 volts.

Thanks,
                          Bob
                          Looking at those numbers, I think you're right when you say you may need a new cat. That's the problem with some of the aftermarket cats is that they simply don't last as long. Supposedly, there is supposed to be a 5 year warranty on CA legal cats, such as DEC or the ones what make the full midsection. I'll see if I can dig up that information.

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
                            About to start putting Koni's and H&R Race springs on my car. Sugg stions on where to adjust the shocks to as a starting point?
                            I'd go full hard since the Konis only damp rebound and the spring rate of the H&Rs is right at the upper limits of the Konis.

Are you going to run the Trackmasters autoX on March 7th. There is a chance we will have timing equipment.

Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Here is a report I was able to get online:

SMOGSMART VIR REPORT - 1987 BMW 325 2.5 LITER ENGINE SmogSmart VIR Report #658327

Your vehicle’s emissions results: High NOx, CO, and HC at 15/25mph.

Some Specifics with your BMW: Your BMW is a non-EGR valve equipped vehicle. Once all other emissions components are inspected, and either fixed or found to be functioning properly, we may suspect a damaged CAT (Catalytic Converter)… possibly plugged up. A vehicle's CAT usually becomes plugged after a material breakdown within it normally due high exhaust temperatures and rich fuel. After first inspecting the fuel and ignition systems, an intrusive CAT test and Back Pressure/Vacuum test may be performed. These tests will determine whether the CAT is operational.

The important thing here is this... if in fact the CAT is damaged, it is important to insure a pre-existing problem is not the culprit. You don't want to damage the new CAT. A CAT melt down usually occurs due to high CO (Rich Fuel), old age, and extreme heat. It is recommend to suspect the CAT after a complete emissions systems diagnostics has been completed.

Shop Diagnosis: A smog check repair station will first have to find out if your vehicle is in proper fuel control. This will tell us a lot about whether your vehicle has an electronic problem or a mechanical fault. The diagnosis for this fault should begin with inspection of the fuel injection “feedback” system. This includes insuring the oxygen sensors are working properly, the computer system is receiving the signals from the oxygen sensors, the computer is computing the data properly and sending the correct signals to the fuel injectors to either increase or decrease fuel delivery to the combustion chambers.

The feed back test will utilize a 5-gas analyzer (usually a smog machine) and propane. The smog technician should introduce propane to the intake system and insure the oxygen sensor is reading this introduction as an increase in CO, and ordering the computer to decrease fuel delivery at the instant propane is added to the system. This test should be done after the engine has sufficiently warmed up and while it is running at idle. If no change in fuel delivery is seen we know we have a feedback problem. Then the diagnose should turn to which part of the feedback system is defective. Using a voltmeter the technician should observe the voltage output of the oxygen sensor as propane is added. Voltage should increase. If there is no increase we have a defective O2 sensor. The sensor should be replaced and the test started over. If voltage increase is present at the sensor output the technician needs to insure voltage increase is also present at the computer input terminal. If voltage is present at the terminal as well next the technician must insure the computer output terminal to the fuel injectors are lowering “injector pulse rates”.

The additional sensors which should be inspected for proper operation (and which also play a significant role in determining air/fuel ratio) are the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. If the coolant temperature sensor is not operating properly (not sending the correct voltage signal to the Engine Control Module) the ECM will not be able to properly calculate how much fuel to deliver to the combustion chambers. When the engine is cold the ECM is programmed to deliver a richer fuel mixture (more fuel). As the engine warms up, the ECM will lean out the mixture. Insuring the ECT is sending the correct voltage to the ECM is important for correct air/fuel ratio (optimum is 14:7). The MAF sensor measures the amount of air entering the intake manifold. This sensor must send accurate information to the ECM as well, in order for the ECM to calculate exactly how much fuel to add to the air entering the combustion chambers.

At the end of the feedback test it will be know whether your vehicle is in proper fuel control, and the technician can further diagnose the fault. If the fault is determined to be mechanical, the locations which need to be inspected are any and all points of "fuel entry"... such as and most predominantly the Fuel Injectors. It is not uncommon for a stuck open or closed fuel injector to cause high emission problems. One other mechanical fuel related concern is that of a malfunctioning "fuel pressure valve". This valve during normal operation will return all unused fuel to the fuel tank.

What is NOx & CO: NOx stands for Nitrous Oxide. NOx is a chemical created when an engine's combustion chamber temperatures rises above 2500 Fahrenheit. CO stands for Carbon Monoxide. CO is a by-product of incomplete combustion caused by either too much or not enough fuel being sent to the combustion chambers. Fuel distribution to your engine's combustion chambers is controlled by your vehicle's ECU(Engine Control Unit) and fuel injectors.

In order for a vehicle's engine to pass a smog inspection, fuel delivery and air/fuel mixture must be preciously controlled to produce the least emissions. If the injectors do not present enough fuel to the combustion chambers, this would cause low CO emissions and high NOx emissions. In a situation where the injectors present too much fuel, this would causes high CO emissions and low NOx emissions. The excessive fuel being sent will keep the combustion chamber cool, but raise CO levels. In order for the ECU to estimate the right amount of fuel to distribute, it needs to know how much fuel is currently in the system. This way it can always maintain a proper ratio and keep emission levels at their lowest. The component responsible for letting the computer know how much fuel is in the exhaust system at any given moment, is the Oxygen Sensor. The Oxygen Sensor sends an electrical signal to the ECU, letting the computer determine exactly how much fuel it should continue to deliver to the combustion chambers. If for any reason the 02 sensor (oxygen sensor) does not send accurate information to the computer or it is "lazy" in sending the correct signals, the fuel delivery program can be altered. The computer may then present either too much or not enough fuel to the combustion chambers and therefore cause an emission failure.

Common NOx faults: Lean fuel mixture will cause high NOx: Lean fuel, due to vacuum leaks or defective fuel control, will cause high NOx. A “lean fuel mixture” is when the engine receives less fuel then is necessary to cause efficient combustion. Vacuum leaks are open passages, normally due to defective gaskets or vacuum lines, between two engine components. These leaks will allow the suction of additional and, most importantly - unmetered air (oxygen) into the combustion mixture or exhaust (depending on where the vacuum leak is located) disturbing pre/post fuel combustion and increasing NOx emissions. Vacuum leaks can be difficult to locate if they are present at locations not easily seen. Certified smog technicians have special tools designed to locate vacuum leaks.

Bad engine cooling causes high NOx: Engine cooling problems may cause high NOx also. If your engine's cooling system is not working efficiently, chances are there is an excessive amount of NOx being created. Remember NOx (Nitrous Oxides) is created only when an engine's combustion chamber temperatures reach over 2500F. A bad cooling system will create NOx. For this reason you want to make sure your vehicle's temperature gauge is always normal and that your cooling system is working properly. If your vehicle has an overheating problem, be sure to perform the necessary repairs prior to your next test.

Got high miles? High compression can cause high NOx too: High amount of carbon build-up within your engine's combustion chambers will cause increased engine temperature and high NOx. Carbon build-up normally develops in an engine's combustion chambers over some period of time. High increase in carbon build-up causes increased cylinder compression, which causes high temperatures, which result in high NOx emissions. Keep in mind this problem is usually seen in vehicles with over 200,000 miles. The solution to this problem is called an Engine DeCarbonizing.

It usually costs around two labor hours at a smog repair station. It will remove a good amount of carbon of your engine's piston heads and valves. This will increase combustion space, lower compression and lower NOx.

Defective EGR Valve (Does NOT apply to your vehicle): A common reason for NOx failures which DOES NOT apply to your vehicle, is a malfunctioning EGR valve and/or plugged up EGR ports and passages. EGR (valve) stands for exhaust gas recirculation. The EGR system normally includes the EGR valve, EGR control system and EGR ports/passages. This system recirculates burned up exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers. The fact that recycled exhaust gases have already been in the combustion chambers once and have already burned up 90 percent of their fuel means there is now much less raw fuel in the combustion chambers to ignite. This allows the engine to run cool and keeps NOx levels within limits. The EGR valve should normally be inspected to insure its proper operation. Carbon deposits often plug up the EGR passages and cause the valve to stick. In your vehicles case, there is no EGR valve and therefore nothing to inspect.

Vehicles without EGR valves have a tendency to develop CAT problems sooner then those which are equipped. Due to the fact there is no EGR valve to reduce NOx, this operation is performed by the CAT, and proper fuel management.

What causes High HC: Hydrocarbon is basically raw fuel, otherwise known as Gasoline. The main reasons vehicles fail for high HC is defective spark delivery. During the combustion process any number of engine conditions can cause emissions failures. Out of the three systems your engine relies on to produce combustion (air intake, fuel delivery, and spark control), the spark system has the components which require replacement most often. Sparkplugs and spark wires are constantly exposed to high temperatures and high voltages. You must insure your engine's ignition system is functioning properly, by inspecting all the sparkplugs and their wires. If any of the plugs look worn out or have excessive carbon build-up replace them immediately. You may use any brand of product designed to work in your vehicle. The distributor cap should also be inspected for cracks or excessive carbon deposits. If it appears that the cap may be faulty, you will need to replace it. More then likely you will see an instant performance increase once these corrections are made.

Defective CAT - The final emissions component to be suspected after all else fails by California Law. The Bureau of Automotive Repairs actually disallows replacement of the CAT until all other emissions components have been inspected and no faults found, or found and repaired. The Catalytic Converter, commonly referred to as the CAT is a component designed to continue the combustion process within itself and emit a more thoroughly burned and less harmful emission containing exhaust. It is normally placed between your engine's exhaust port and your car's muffler. It allows the engine exhaust to pass through while it reduces all emissions. A good CAT should dramatically reduce HC, CO and NOx. The CAT is a catalyst, it plays a very small part on how well your engine runs and it only begins working after slightly rich exhaust has exited the engine's combustion chambers.

The most accurate way to find out if your vehicle CAT is working efficiently is by using an exhaust gas analyzer. Unfortunately this tool is fairly expensive and intended for use by professionals. You might need to visit a local smog station and have the smog technician inspect the CAT with their smog machine. They will do "snap test" to check the CAT's efficiency in reducing emissions during an immediate increase in fuel.

Obvious symptoms of a bad CAT however could be any of the following:

a. loss of power over 15-25 mph (CAT is plugged up and restricting exhaust flow)

b. very strong exhaust smell on a vehicle that runs great(engine running efficiently, but CAT not completing the burning process)

c. Loud rattle being heard from inside the CAT (CAT substrate broken up).

Final Comment: We hope this report is helpful to you. There will be a few steps involved in finding out the root cause for your vehicle's failure/s. The emissions system/s responsible for causing high CO, NOx & HC will have to be individually diagnosed, and step-by-step eliminated as faults. Please Remember: California law only allows only a vehicle's owner or a State Certified Smog Repair station conduct smog inspections and smog repairs We highly recommend you search our database of SmogTips State Certified Smog Repairs stations. SmogTips Certified Stations are pre-screened for quality repairs, fast friendly service, and reasonable prices.

SMOGTIPS SMOGSMART VIR REPORTS - Save Money. Smog Smart. SmogTips.com - "California's Leading Smog Check Support Group" - 1-877-SMOG-TIPS

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post

Thanks,
                              Bob

Comment

Does anyone have a vert drivers fender?

Feedback!
                                Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                                Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Working...
                                X