X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    don't want a vert anymore?
    that, and, I'm tired of having what's basically a street-legal race car. it was fun for a while, but I think I want to try a semi-"luxury" build next, even if it will weigh more.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      strongly considering parting out my vert and starting over on a sedan this year.

any local interest in:

- hardtop
      - corbeau clubman seats with sliders (some wear and need a re-dye from sun)
      - professionally pulled/shaped vert fenders

other requests considered, but 5-lug suspension, Torsen diff, chassis bracing, and drivetrain are either not FS or spoken for.
      I'd be interested in the hardtop depending on how much you want...

Feedback!
      Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
      Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Someone already contacted me about it- will let you know if that falls through.
        past:
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          that, and, I'm tired of having what's basically a street-legal race car. it was fun for a while, but I think I want to try a semi-"luxury" build next, even if it will weigh more.
          you could luxurize it pretty easily

come to think of it, i have the stuff for that :p
          cars beep boop

Comment

For some perverse reason I really want a 4dr. Maybe because it's the only E30 chassis I haven't owned. Maybe because they're the stiffest chassis. But I have some ideas, and yeah, depending on what you still have sitting around, you might be able to help. :) I'll be in touch when I'm ready.
            past:
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:

Comment

4 door is the stiffest? Hmm. I've heard things like this before. Any mathematical/legit testing proof of this or is this based off of a couple wanks jacking up a corner of the car and opening and closing the doors to check the flex?

I hate the e36 four door, but actually really like the e30 sedan. I'd love to hear some insight on it

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                I hate the e36 four door
                Damn, right in the feels man!
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

Just in case there was any interest in here, my Vader's are sold :ST1G:
                  C6Z
                  S2K
                  VeloN

Comment

4 door is the stiffest? Hmm. I've heard things like this before. Any mathematical/legit testing proof of this or is this based off of a couple wanks jacking up a corner of the car and opening and closing the doors to check the flex?

I hate the e36 four door, but actually really like the e30 sedan. I'd love to hear some insight on it
                    I don't have data at my fingertips but the E36 sedan is noticeably stiffer than the coupe, same with the E46. I can feel the sedan vs coupe difference between my pair, and mine isn't even the stiffest example of a sedan.

A lot of the chassis stiffness has to do with fold down vs non-fold seats in the E36/46 sedans, but also B pillar placement/thickness/etc. The sedan with fold down seats is still stiffer than the coupe.

I'm willing to bet the E30 coupe/sedan stiffness difference isn't as dramatic.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                      I don't have data at my fingertips but the E36 sedan is noticeably stiffer than the coupe, same with the E46. I can feel the sedan vs coupe difference between my pair, and mine isn't even the stiffest example of a sedan.
                      My E36 M3 is a sedan and 2 of my friends have coupes and I'll absolutely agree here, the sedan feels very different compared to the coupe in that respect. As for the E46, I've only ridden in a coupe so I can't speak for that.
                      C6Z
                      S2K
                      VeloN

Comment

I found torsional rigidity numbers on it for E30, E36, E46 years ago, but I'm old and senile and forgot where. I want to say it was a difference approaching 10%.

Has to do with the b-pillar needing to be robust enough to support the rear doors. Is true for all 3 chassis. Sedan stiffest, coupe/wagon not much worse, vert (without hardtop) wet noodle.

Anyway like I said that's only part of the reason. Other car is a BRZ, that's my coupe now, and since it has fold-down rear seats, it carries more than I could ever fit in the vert. However, if you like your friends, you will not put them in the back of one. If you're 6'3" like I am, they'd better be amputees.
                        past:
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:

Comment

I liked my e36 sedan. I put it down yesterday :( it is now en route to china to become BC coilovers
                          cars beep boop

Comment

anyway e30 sedans are awesome

cars beep boop

Comment

I liked my e36 sedan. I put it down yesterday :( it is now en route to china to become BC coilovers
                              A byzanz brother has gone
                              C6Z
                              S2K
                              VeloN

Comment

anyway e30 sedans are awesome
                                na

did heater valve, water pump, timing belt, temp sensors, T-Stat today.
                                then like 5 e30s showed up at my house

there is no measurable different between a sedan and coupe e30 in stiffness. they both share a solid b-pillar. the m3 is the only one you can feel is stiffer. the stiffness gained by the b pillar in a sedan is lost with the huge open gap in the chassis for the door its self.
                                Last edited by Cabriolet; 01-16-2016, 12:01 AM.
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X