X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    Idiots also shit talk German auto sport; shit talking edge happens as well

any shop can make a mistake - IIRC cabriolet got a free alignment out of his ordeal;

DIY-ers will always complain no matter what when paying for work.

Both edge and German auto sport are great.
    calling me an idiot would be the farthest from the truth you can get. i've completed myself the most completely restored 4dr in the US. i've done over 100 timing belt jobs for others. and that doesnt even bring in my education or the fact that i work on rocket engine design as my real job.

edge quoted me 300 and change to do a wheel bearing, then call me back 6 hours later to tell me the bill was now 700+ for a wheel bearing replacement. i get the and reluctantly pay for it then walk out and see that the simple job was done wrong.
    then while i was waiting my friend Pablo cam to pick up his e36m that had fender flares install and they were fucked up. 2 bad experience in 1 day.
    on tops of this, edge worked on a red e30 that was sold told a guy i know, they let the car leave their shop with a good ppi, it was missing a steering rack bolt and the other was loose, the valve cover plugs we installed backwards and the engine was shitting oil through them.
    i've also had to redo a timing belt job that they did on anther car.
    i've also worked on other cars they have worked on and i know every nut and every bolt on an e30 and when it is done wrong i always know.
    they charge 160/hr. for that rate they should not be making mistakes.

i've never seen work from German auto that i can recall.

my point is, if a guy in a garage does a better job than a top price shop, the shop has problems.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
      calling me an idiot would be the farthest from the truth you can get. i've completed myself the most completely restored 4dr in the US. i've done over 100 timing belt jobs for others. and that doesnt even bring in my education or the fact that i work on rocket engine design as my real job.

edge quoted me 300 and change to do a wheel bearing, then call me back 6 hours later to tell me the bill was now 700+ for a wheel bearing replacement. i get the and reluctantly pay for it then walk out and see that the simple job was done wrong.

then while i was waiting my friend Pablo cam to pick up his e36m that had fender flares install and they were fucked up. 2 bad experience in 1 day.

on tops of this, edge worked on a red e30 that was sold told a guy i know, they let the car leave their shop with a good ppi, it was missing a steering rack bolt and the other was loose, the valve cover plugs we installed backwards and the engine was shitting oil through them.

i've also had to redo a timing belt job that they did on anther car.

i've also worked on other cars they have worked on and i know every nut and every bolt on an e30 and when it is done wrong i always know.

they charge 160/hr. for that rate they should not be making mistakes.

i've never seen work from German auto that i can recall.

my point is, if a guy in a garage does a better job than a top price shop, the shop has problems.

No reason for Internet butt hurt. Lots of idiots talk shit about German auto sport; nobody said you did.

Opinions are like assholes; you obviously have the right to an opinion and obviously hate edge.

Talking shit does not make you a better person; no reason to be a such negative hater; it doesn't make your work any better to talk poorly of others- have you tried talking shit at a job interview? It doesn't get you hired.

DIY types will always prefer to DIY; I work on my own cars because it's fun to.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Then dont call people idiots. there are some really good guys here, that can wrench on anything. Many more talented than I.
        My opinion is only based on first hand facts. i was recommended edge by many people, i went there, over motor speed west, who have taken care of my car in the past and my best friend's cars for 15 years, because edge had been recommend and was close to my work.

shit talking a shitty place doesn't make me or my work better. what it does it keeps others from making the mistake of going and wasting money at a place.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Then dont call people idiots. there are some really good guys here, that can wrench on anything. Many more talented than I.
          My opinion is only based on first hand facts. i was recommended edge by many people, i went there, over motor speed west, who have taken care of my car in the past and my best friend's cars for 15 years, because edge had been recommend and was close to my work.

shit talking a shitty place doesn't make me or my work better. what it does it keeps others from making the mistake of going and wasting money at a place.
          I'm referring to shit talking idiots in regards to Yelp reviews for German auto sport ; there are more places to review services than an online forum.

I have quite the opposite experience with edge; tested for my NASA competition license in a edge prepared se30, that car is quite bulletproof and has been for a few years now. Another friend had a edge prepared se30 as well and blew a motor at Sonoma 2014 west coast national championship day one; other friend got hit the same day; bent all right side suspension.

EDGE pulled an all nighter between day one and two and both cars made it to the opening grid 8am;

your experience may be unlucky but they are not at all shit; yes it will cost you....

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with A1 Autoworks in San Rafael? or Performance Technic?

Comment

p tech is expensive but good at what they do.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                p tech is expensive but good at what they do.
                a few years ago they had a bad tech, fired him, and i've seen 0 issues from them since then.
                they are good with swaps, e46s, and race cars.
                *he had worked on my but the job was done right
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

a few years ago they had a bad tech, fired him, and i've seen 0 issues from them since then.

they are good with swaps, e46s, and race cars.

*he had worked on my but the job was done right

I've dealt with a p tech ring and pinion swap that destroyed a Motorsports gearset via improper setting clearance; customer still goes to them for other things so he is still ok with them.

Friend/ diff client had a s54 swap that took forever; But car is running around the Bay Area now

Every shop will have ups and downs
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 08-01-2016, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I've heard and had good and bad experiences at just about every shop I've ever been to. Without full details, I'd hesitate to write off a known good shop based on internet anecdotes.

For what it's worth though, I take my sedan to Dinan in Mtn View for most of its maintenance, including basic stuff like oil changes. I know that's anathema to many, but they do a good job and the price (at least on oil change) is quite reasonable. They also haven't had any qualms about doing basic stuff on the S54 car either, and haven't charged me a swapped-car surcharge.

I've been to Edge a couple times, and I get on well with the folks there. My issue with them isn't the caliber of the work but their caginess on what a job will cost. Every other shop I have been to can ballpark a job's price over the phone, provided there aren't any surprises once the work gets started. Edge refuses to do that, which makes it hard to recommend them for price conscious folks.

My favorite so far is TC Design for motorsport/custom stuff. They are where I take the S54 car for race prep/track stuff, or for motor swap stuff. If you need custom work (i.e. 24v swap fab), they're a good place to talk to.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of response I was seeking. I'll give TC a call this week.

Comment

Originally posted by jchangy510 View Post
                        I bought a BAR'd 91 318i with OBD1 S52 swap from another member on here. I recently switched out the gauge cluster and noticed the previous owner took out the CEL bulb. I installed my new gauge cluster and drove about 15 miles when my CEL turned on. Had JB Autoworks run the code and was told it was throwing a speed sensor code.

I'm not sure how to check the c101/x20 to make sure everything is wired correctly. If someone was willing to help me fix the problem I'd be willing to compensate them. PM me if interested.
                        Read up on the swap specifics, you just need to run one wire from the x20 to your cluster and that code will be gone. When I wired my CEL it was on for the same reason, one more wire to the cluster and now its gone. I think I detailed it in my thread, but I'm at work now and can't do your homework for you. It's easy and not worth taking to a shop. Can be done in one night after work. Sincerely DIY guy
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
                          Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of response I was seeking. I'll give TC a call this week.
                          Tell them David with the S54/E36 sent you!

I know they're booked through August though for race prep.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Hey guys, just a fyi my e30 got broken into sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning. Stole older model Sparco pro2000 seat (passenger side) and a Sparco R345 leather steering wheel along with 2 Hartge Type A wheel caps

I tried to spread the word via fb to various groups so I apologize if this isn't the proper channel to spread the word. I'm guessing that due to the theives stealing 2 of my hartge wheel caps instead of all 4 they knew about e30s. Not sure if it's common knowledge of accessing the hood release via popping out the front kidney grills along with disabling the alarm and activating the auto door locks to open the doors.

Probably a lost cause but if anyone hears of anything I'd appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks

Please be on a lookout for anyone selling a sparco pro2000 seat or sparco steering wheel with a quick release. Oh and two hartge wheel caps. Someone broke into my car last night and disabled the...

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Read up on the swap specifics, you just need to run one wire from the x20 to your cluster and that code will be gone. When I wired my CEL it was on for the same reason, one more wire to the cluster and now its gone. I think I detailed it in my thread, but I'm at work now and can't do your homework for you. It's easy and not worth taking to a shop. Can be done in one night after work. Sincerely DIY guy
                              Thanks, I read your thread but it looks like I don't have a green plug on the back of my cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by joonsup View Post
                                Hey guys, just a fyi my e30 got broken into sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning. Stole older model Sparco pro2000 seat (passenger side) and a Sparco R345 leather steering wheel along with 2 Hartge Type A wheel caps

I tried to spread the word via fb to various groups so I apologize if this isn't the proper channel to spread the word. I'm guessing that due to the theives stealing 2 of my hartge wheel caps instead of all 4 they knew about e30s. Not sure if it's common knowledge of accessing the hood release via popping out the front kidney grills along with disabling the alarm and activating the auto door locks to open the doors.

Probably a lost cause but if anyone hears of anything I'd appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/nick.park.5...06?pnref=story
                                Man that fucking blows. I'm really sorry this happened to you! Based on your description, it sounds like you are right and the thieves do know E30s or at least know enough about car culture to know what to take.

On a side note, I feel like I recognize your name from Baye30 days. Have you been around E30s since those days?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X