Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only downside of keeping it is needing new wheels/tires. Any suggestions about how to find decent wheels? 5x120, 16", high offset to clear late model wheel arches.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

If you want to run OEM wheels, theres plenty of options on ebay and not a lot locally, unless you want to run style 5's. 5x120 is a pretty common lug size but I've had some trouble finding stuff as small as 16"
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I guess I can run 17" wheels. I just want some decent sidewall so the bay area streets don't destroy the car, which I assume translates to having a higher offset.

The biggest thing is that I don't know too much about wheel fitment. I just know that my current wheels were 5x120x16" et20 with super skinny tires and I still had occasional rubbing on my rolled early model rear fenders. Then again, it was a convertible lowered on coupe H&R Race springs...
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

How rolled were your fenders? I rub a bit with 205/55/15's but I barely rolled my rear fenders because I had no idea what I was doing. I'm also running sports not race springs.

I've seen people fit as wide as 235/40-45/16's under late model rears but I'm pretty sure the offset was higher. Theres tons of info out there, especially on late model fender fitment. I would dig through the master wheel fitment thread on here, also "e30s on 16's" (or 17's if thats what you'd rather run) to get a better idea of offset/tire width/aspect ratio numbers.

Id say shoot for a higher offset wheel, you can always run a spacer if you need to

also, I may be wrong here but I remember reading that z3 trailing arms push the track width out about 5mm. Not sure if that's per side or total, but either one would increase your rear track width enough to require a higher offset wheel for proper fitment
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            I could use some advice.

I plan to put an s50 in my daily and possibly auto-cross it occasionally. It's currently on H&R Sport with Bilstein Sport shocks.

I have a full 5-lug swap from my crashed vert that I was going to sell, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Since I plan on upping the power, should I use the 5-lug swap to get the bigger brakes, tire width, and tire options? Or is the stock brake system with good pads/rotors and stock wheels with good tires sufficient for the extra power??
            I went through this discussion with my friend recently. Both of us have s52 cars with the stock 4-lug brakes, and we eventually agreed that with good pads and lines, the stock braking system seems more than adequate for a street car, even with the extra power. There are 4 lug BBK options though should you really start cooking the stock brakes, and you'll be able to keep your existing suspension and retain the factory geometry.

The 5-lug swap is certainly cool as it opens up a lot more wheel options, especially if you have the parts already. I'm guessing this is e36 5-lug since you're looking for high offset wheels? If it's M3 front brakes, not all 16's clear the calipers & 315mm rotors. The 16x8 style 5's do, but they're lower offset

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Use the 4 lug. It’s lighter by 20lbs or so each corner.

Even if your Wheel budget is very high performance it’s not possible to overcome this gap.

You will need some proper sized tires with good rubber if you actually plan on driving the car in events and not getting destroyed by others.

If Street pads are not doing the job then it’s time to get some better ones.

Autocross is pretty low impact; you barely use the brakes compared to a circuit car (stopping from 2/3 gear vs 5/6th gear)

New Oem Stock suspension with Oem stock springs will handle better than most cobbled together things; especially on crappy Bay Area roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Saw on my Craigslist app this morning that someone posted 6 ads for Stolen E30 Cash Reward, all the ads and details were removed before I could read them... curious if its the same one that was reported on here a few weeks ago...

Comment

wheels

I'm running 16" style 5 with adapters and an h&r cup kit on a late sedan. had my fenders rolled and it still rubbed in the back. went with 12mm sub frame bushings and did the rtabs and diff bushing and it solved the problem
                  1989 325ix(sold)
                  1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Good morning all. Quick question. Has anyone dealt with buying a car for parts that hasnt been registered or smogged for several years? It has a clean title in the guys name. I literally just want the car for the 5spd parts and then I want to get get rid of it. Will pick n pull pick it up or a scrap yard? I would only need the car for a few days. I'm new to CA and I know the dmv is crazy.

Comment

Yes, I currently have a car that I am parting out that sat for awhile before I bought it. As long as you have a title and bill of sale they will take it I am pretty sure. I ended up misplacing the title I got so pick n pull wont get it from me till I find it, buut there are quite a few services on Craigslist that will take the car if pick n pull does not work out.

Comment

you can also donate a car to kars for kids. As long as it has 2 wheels they will take it no questions asked. (from what i've heard)
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                            I could use some advice.
                            I plan to put an s50 in my daily and possibly auto-cross it occasionally. It's currently on H&R Sport with Bilstein Sport shocks.
                            I have a full 5-lug swap from my crashed vert that I was going to sell, but now I'm having second thoughts.
                            I would recommend you don’t swap. I have a new m20b30 in my car and it blew the doors off all the s5x swapped cars that came to auto. It looks period correct and the sound is amazing.
                            I had 3 piece 16” wheels made to my spec for only $2300 after shipping and tax. So if you need special wheels, ask people if you want to have some made to match your 5-lug swap.
                            H&R sports are nice for DD but you will hate them for autox.
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              I would recommend you don’t swap. I have a new m20b30 in my car and it blew the doors off all the s5x swapped cars that came to auto. It looks period correct and the sound is amazing.
                              I had 3 piece 16” wheels made to my spec for only $2300 after shipping and tax. So if you need special wheels, ask people if you want to have some made to match your 5-lug swap.
                              H&R sports are nice for DD but you will hate them for autox.
                              are you running any aftermarket brake bits? Also curious about your spring rates...
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                                are you running any aftermarket brake bits? Also curious about your spring rates...
                                yes uuc bbk. it's a shit fit but works ok.
                                GC 415in-lb 5" fromt and 675in-lb 6" rear. all rubber mounts.
                                it's taken me 7 years and $3-4K to get it right. my car feels stock on the road and handles well enough to take 1st of the e30s in autox, last week.
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X