Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to LA

Hey Everyone,
    Im new to the e30 forum on r3v. Planning on moving to LA with my girl in late september. She is attending FIDM in downtown LA starting in October. We are both from Toronto, Canada and are looking for tips regarding apartments, neighbourhoods, jobs and of course e30 events and meets. I plan on driving down my 1989 325i at some point once we get settled. If anyone has any advice or recommendations please let me know. Also info on some shops that do some solid work on e30's because the old girl will need some love once she arrives in California.
    thanks a lot and hope to hear from some of you.
    -Joe Khan

Plenty of shops down here. Id do a timing belt before the drive if its anywhere near the time to do it, just to be safe. In fact, I would do most of the maintenance BEFORE you bring it down.

Let us know when you're here ... and post pics of your girl ;)

On the real though, traffic here is bad, so try to be as close to her school and wherever you plan on spending your time, working or school
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I would sell your car there and buy another one, once you get to LA. first you wont have to deal with importing a car here, the cost of that and BAR/federalizing stuff. second, almost every car in LA will be cleaner, due to 0 rust. you wont believe how little rust cars here have. third, your car will sell for more there and you will be able to get a nicer one here for less.

make sure you realize when you move to LA that traffic is insane. a 10mile drive can take well over an hour. sundays people drive insanely fast. the rest of the week good luck getting past 20mph.

working AC will be a must
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Gonna miss yah bud. Working ac lololol khan_j gonna be sweating. If anyone here plays softball he can hit a dinger and is a good sub.
        sigpic
        Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
        1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
          working AC will be a must
          Havnt had a car with working AC in five years, def don't need AC, its not that hot

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
          Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Softball huh, I play in the softball league lmk if your interested in joining!

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
              Havnt had a car with working AC in five years, def don't need AC, its not that hot
              He's coming from Canada, I don't doubt his version of hot isn't on par with yours. Just like he may not think 60° is cold, when in fact, it is unacceptably cold.

Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                Stop fooling yourself. Why suffer

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
                ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                  Just like he may not think 60° is cold, when in fact, it is unacceptably cold.
                  Got a LOL out of this. 60's are my favorite temperature. Cold is 25 and below.

LA is like no other city I've been to. You'll either love it, or hate it. Personally I'm out of here. Been here a year and that's been plenty for me. The traffic is mind blowingly terrible, the smog can be pretty bad, it's really dirty.....but, the weather is fantastic, the coast line is gorgeous and there is endless stuff to do. Also the car culture is enormous. You'll see rare, quirky cars you didn't know still existed. As far as apartment and a job, you'll need to realize that amount of people you're competing with is much higher than most other places. Apartments go super quick and there is always someone else trying to get the job you want. Good luck!
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

My 2 cents - LA is awesome if you have money - other wise it can be a grind. But if your girl wants to get into fashion, FIDM is a good thing. Enjoy the sunshine. Try not to get shot.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                    X