Good places for a full swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good places for a full swap?

The town I live in sucks and doesn't allow access to it's scrap yard because the guy is a jerk... That being said I noticed that my oil is going away really quickly the other day after topping up and driving for a couple of days it was at half.. so I started digging.. and found this hiding under the plastic splash guard..

So now I'm really not putting any money in to the automatic m20 and just going to looks for a swap.. crate motor.. junkyard... Parts car... anything I've been checking Craigslist here on Vancouver island and in Vancouver (yes I will trailer it back if I can get it for a half decent price and the engine and manual transmission is good.) But there isn't a whole lot to go by on there... Any suggestions of sites or places to look in to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I mean, if you can narrow down the source of the leak, it may be cheapest just to fix that and continue on your way! Did you make any progress?

Otherwise, Kijiji - that's where I picked up my swap parts most reliably.
    1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
    1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
    1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
      I mean, if you can narrow down the source of the leak, it may be cheapest just to fix that and continue on your way! Did you make any progress?

Otherwise, Kijiji - that's where I picked up my swap parts most reliably.
      The leak is coming from the oil pan gasket.. the problem with that as we all know is it requires an engine hoist or an engine support bar.. if I'm going to do that I may as well just pull the auto m20 and put a manual (anything) in.. I've decided to make this chassis a track car and just pick up another as a daily.. there is too many issues to bother fixing it back to stock, knee assemblys are fucked, the chassis is Swiss cheese.. the subframes are rotting etc.. I've always wanted to take up drifting competitively so here's the ticket..

Comment

You dont have to support the engine, you can bend the tabs for the rack, pull the rack down and then you'll have room to take out the pan
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          You dont have to support the engine, you can bend the tabs for the rack, pull the rack down and then you'll have room to take out the pan
          Good to know. I've only ever come across tutorials saying you have to support the engine some how, I really wish the pan was a better shape and less hassle to deal with haha

And it still doesn't solve the automatic problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            Kind of a ghetto way to do it though. I'd just lift the engine.

And comparing a complete non-BMW engine swap to lifting the engine a little and changing a gasket is really comparing apples to oranges. Not in the same league, by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Kind of a ghetto way to do it though. I'd just lift the engine.

And comparing a complete non-BMW engine swap to lifting the engine a little and changing a gasket is really comparing apples to oranges. Not in the same league, by a long shot.
              I was think M or S series engines.. but still want an SR e30 lol

Comment

Got a line on an m50 NV with e36 tranny but needs to be picked up fast. It's $700 obo. Get on bc e30 on Facebook for the contact person.
                2016 F-150
                1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

Originally posted by E30-Ellerman View Post
                  Got a line on an m50 NV with e36 tranny but needs to be picked up fast. It's $700 obo. Get on bc e30 on Facebook for the contact person.
                  I may have just found a manual parts car.. if the guy is willing to sell it almost whole for a decent price it will give me cutouts for rust repair as well as other stuff my car needs.. I'm going to pick up knee assemblys off the guy regardless as the retaining caps for the inserts have rusted off..*edit* if it is a m20b25 then I may just make a turbo stroker over a different engine

Comment

If you're up for a trip to Ontario, I'm considering selling my m50 full swap (plug n play)... Body of the car is rough, but mechanically perfect, so a good donor.
                    Post up a thread of your build once you get started!

Comment

If you're up for a trip to Ontario, I'm considering selling my m50 full swap (plug n play)... Body of the car is rough, but mechanically perfect, so a good donor.
                      I already had a thread going in the wrong forum so I decided to let it die and I will start a new one in the next couple of days as it's starting to get nice(er) out here on the island and I am starting to acquire the tools to start the job, if I could afford the trip and the car I would totally take a bus over there and rent a truck to bring it back.. but sadly cross country is out of the question at the moment with debt and this rust bucket to deal with. Thanks for the offer though man it's greatly appreciated :)

Comment

Hey there... what would you be looking to get for that M50? My Eta is getting close to 500K km, and I've got to start thinking where to go from here. PM me if you like. :)
                        Estoguy
                        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                          Hey there... what would you be looking to get for that M50? My Eta is getting close to 500K km, and I've got to start thinking where to go from here. PM me if you like. :)

I'll shoot you a pm next week when I'm back in town! I've got a post on Maxbimmer with details if you're on there

Comment

I am and I just looked at it. Sounds pretty good. When you say COMPLETE... including the transmission as well? And this would plug and play with an '86 E30? I got an Eta with the round engine connector. (C101, right?)

And yes, definitely shoot a message when you have a chance. Either here or on Max.

Thanks!
                            Estoguy
                            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                            X