Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would R3v do in my situation?

Hey guys,

Two days ago while driving my E30 home from school, it developed a knock. Its a death-knock as my mechanic explained and isn't worth putting any money into the car. I have to agree with him on that point. Now, I'm left with some decisions to make as far as what to do from this point. He has the car now and said it was OK if it sat on his lot for a day or two and he wouldn't charge me. He offered me about 100 bucks for the car, which, in my opinion is way low but he did say that he didn't really look at any of the parts.

My question is, which route should I go? My options are:
    1. Negotiate a price and sell the car to my mechanic for credit, get a loan, and buy something off his lot. (He's a good mechanic and has taken care of my e30 and my dads alfa for a while now, I'd probably end up with a landrover discovery, or maybe a fiat 124 spider.)

2. Tow the car home and try to part it out myself or sell it as a whole for parts and make some money on it. (My problem with this is that I don't know how long it will take me to sell parts to people)

3. Have it towed straight to the scrapyard and get maybe 150 for it.

While I don't love it, I think #1 is my best option because it covers whatever cost of disposing it, and it can get me a little closer to getting into another car, and I do need transportation sooner than later so I can work full time to get a loan.
    <---Goodnight, sweet prince

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Originally posted by Brandon12V
    unlikely. too many e46 guys craving Big Fucking Cock

Umm, pics of the car? Model?
    Is it a real pos?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

get AAA (if you have it) to tow it home and part it out. it's worth a shit ton more than $100, even at the scrap yard.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
        get AAA (if you have it) to tow it home and part it out. it's worth a shit ton more than $100, even at the scrap yard.
        This, lots of money to be made off it. Even if you just thrash on it for a week here and there and grab what you can, then send it off to a pick n pull.
        I get between $250 and $350 for completely stripped shells at the yard. Seriously nothing left of them

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

^ its not a huge POS or anything. Cosmetically the paint is pretty worn, but the bodywork is all solid with no major dents or crumples. I've replaced the radiator, alternator, thermostat, its had the control arms CABs and tie rods replaced, its got a 3.93LSD in it. tail lights are in good shape. It has a working radio, power windows work, I replaced the antenna too. I just spend 200 dollars on fixing the exhaust, its got custom piping from the cat to a magnaflow 14815. The dash is fairly cracked, but the glove box is in good shape. I have very good condition comfort seats in black but beat up sport seats. The back seat has a cigarette burn.

The problem with towing it home is that my parents are trying to sell the house relatively soon, and I don't think it will sell too great with my car out front on cinder blocks.

Comment

This may be one of those defining moments in your life..
            Choose wisely, the easy route isn't always the best! :)

Comment

Well like others have said its worth more that 100 bucks for sure, and it sounds like you have been taking car of the car with maintenance and such, if I were in you shoes I would spend the couple hundred to get it fixed and still have a car, or if u really want something different then sell it as is or part it out either way u can get more than any shop will offer you, does the car still drive? Inspected?
              Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
              Bimmerbuddies LLC
              717-388-1256
              2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
              bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

what year/model is it?

Comment

Seriously there are plenty of M20's out there for pocket change. grab one and swap it over the weekend.

There are numerous E30 owners in the greater NoVa area that would probably be willing to help for Beer and Burgers after the work is completed.

I used to do engine swaps in my garage in your neck of the woods prior to moving. Are you an National Chapter member? They have many other will folk too.

I think you should cross post this to the Mid Atlantic section and ask for some local help.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Why can't you get a new (junkyard) bottom end and swap it in? I really doubt your car is worth only $100 if it was running and driving last week. I think your mechanic is trying to take advantage of you.

Comment

Fix it and then sell it if your still interested in getting a new car.

Comment

Is said car a manual?
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Like I said in the first post, when he looked at it pretty much all he did was start it up and have a listen because thats what I asked him to do, he said if I wanted to go the selling route he'd take a closer look and find out what parts on it are useable to him and we can negotiate. It isn't worth repairing because it would probably cost over a grand and I don't think the car is worth paying that much just to get 500 dollars back from all the repairs. The only pick and pull near me has one E30 and that was a year ago, i'm sure its gone by now.

It rolls, but the engine knock is so severe that I'm very hesitant to try and move it anywhere under its own power just to get stuck somewhere.

Its a 1990 325i. And yes it is manual.

Comment

Nobody in Virginia has a m20b25? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

^ I haven't tried to find out yet. I briefly checked the FS thread on my phone a little while ago and didn't see any. Also, how do I crosspost lol

Comment

Working...
                              X