Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely drive a 318 and 325e and 325i before deciding. If you want a 318 then the car Ross has for sale is the perfect starter. I wouldn't pass it up if you want a late model 318.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
      The 325i has a much more durable motor
      How do you figure

Comment

Wow thanks guys. Well I looked at the 325is but I wasn't able to drive it due to the fact the master clutch cylinder was put on wrong or he didn't tighten it or something like that. The body was, for the most, perfect. The interior sucked. Over all, for $1500, it wasn't a bad deal. However, I am picky and I like things a certain way. Oh and what I want to do with my e30 is to make it a hill climber/DD and something that my wife will like to drive as well. I'll take your guys advice and test them all out and see which one I like the most. Oh and here is a picture of my baby ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	my car .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	7136211

P.S
        Sorry for putting a Toyota on here :D

Comment

Nice! A good friend back in high school had one, they've great little cars.

The mountain forum is overrun with folks with more than just E30s. Sam has too many E28s, I have a Subaru and E36, Brad has a DSM and ti, etc etc. Noone will give you any shit for having one of the last Toyotas with soul.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
            How do you figure
            My car aside, M20s go forever when maintained. Timing belt != fragile motor.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Dude. That toyota would make an AWESOME rally car.

and being an M42 guy myself, M20s DO last a long time. But so do M42s if maintained. I have heard of M20s lasting longer though, and great aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                Dude. That toyota would make an AWESOME rally car.

and being an M42 guy myself, M20s DO last a long time. But so do M42s if maintained. I have heard of M20s lasting longer though, and great aftermarket.
                Haha, AE86s are rare beasts in good condition, not something you'd want to destroy hooning on dirt. They're cult cars.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

M20 = timing belt/water-pump needs periodic changing, needs valve adjustments.

M42 needs none of that.

Comment

Haha well I am really interested in rallying, but not with my 86. I just need a super cheap car that I can beat around with in the dirt. iamcreepingdeath, my buddy Ted has told me about your little forum and club on rallying. Sounds very interesting. Maybe one day I'll have to come by and see what it's all about. And you can teach me all about it. And Bimmerman325i, yes these are cult cars and I am hoping to drop a 4agze or a 4age 20v bt. Either way, it will be more beastly after I'm done with it. :D

Comment

You can always check our " shit we found on CL thread" and see wtf we find.... good deals at times and also which ones we seen and which ones not to care for.
                      sigpic
                      HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                      " enjoy the show "

Comment

Welcome Aaron, Ross's car is probably the best bet for your price range. Known history from a competent owner. Many Craiglist E30's are basket cases owned by poor stewards to the prolonging of the model. I figure it takes at least $5K to snag a properly done E30. You can get one for $2K and spend $3k making it right, or spend $5k on someone else's that has been done. Ross's car will give you a head start on that. BTW I am not trying to plug his car other than for the reasons I stated above, known history & good owner.

As far as the 318is discussion goes, I was dreaming about this one tonight!

JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Yeah I would buy Ross's car and rally that. Just kidding the body is in too good of shape.

Also, I am glad to hear that you heard about the forum! There is a rally meet happening Nov 12th, and it seems quite a crowd will be showing up. If you get a cheap E30 by then, you should come! If not, you are of course welcome to come anyway, but entrance fee is $10, car or not. It's just a liability thing, everyone has to pay and sign the waiver.

and on the M20vs M42 front, there will always be an ongoing debate. My quick run-down is:

M42:
                          1.8L
                          timing chain,
                          4 valves/cylinder
                          easier to work on than M20
                          Has better hp/liter than M20
                          Has less power and torque overall than M20 (134 bhp)
                          Weighs approx 30 lbs less than M20
                          gets ~30mpg

M20:
                          2.5L
                          Makes more power and torque (168 bhp)
                          sounds better
                          timing belt (needs regular replacing or else, kablooie!)
                          2 valves/cyl
                          Seems to last a little longer, just from seeing M20 cars out there...
                          Has a bigger aftermarket
                          loooves boost
                          gets ~25 mpg

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_86 View Post
                            ^^ thank you. Well I don't know yet on my budget. Looking to spending no more than 2k if I can help it. Ideally I would love to find one for 1k and work on it. I'm going to look at one right now for $1500. We will see tho. And yes I love my 86 :)
                            Glad you registered Aaron, all of these guys have more experience with the regular i's and 318's than i do...

Sam's (Iamcreepingdeath) comparision seems pretty complete
                            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Sam is almost spot on.

As far as the motors goes, they are both VERY easy to work on.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                                Sam is almost spot on.

As far as the motors goes, they are both VERY easy to work on.
                                They are both very simple motors. M42 is a little easier just because it is so much smaller and it is easier to reach stuff on the motor when it is in the engine bay. And like Roland mentioned, no t-belt changing needed, and water pump is FAR more accessible.

Comment

Working...
                                X