Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just get a rwd E30. They are much less needy than an ix, and parts are much easier to find.

If your ix was rwd, those problems you mentioned would be nonexistant. ;)

Well except for the suspension problems, but they only need to be fixed once. Full polys everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      just get a rwd E30. They are much less needy than an ix, and parts are much easier to find.

If your ix was rwd, those problems you mentioned would be nonexistant. ;)

Well except for the suspension problems, but they only need to be fixed once. Full polys everywhere!
      It would still need control arms and tie-rods. Plus I want something different.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
        It would still need control arms and tie-rods. Plus I want something different.
        I have control arms. Tie rods are cheap and easy.

Get an E28.

Comment

I have control arms. Tie rods are cheap and easy.

Get an E28.
          No fun on the track.

Comment

No fun on the track.
            eeeh, I dunno. I'll see how mine fares w/ GC and M60...

Comment

eeeh, I dunno. I'll see how mine fares w/ GC and M60...
              Compared to a Miata, I doubt it will handle as well.

Comment

Don't get an E28.

Fuel economy rivaling a pickup.

Handling as confidence inspiring as a capsizing boat.

Brakes that are hypothetical.

Seats that are couches.

Aerodynamics that rival a UPS van.

Steering as dynamic and precise as an ox cart.

Rear suspension worse than an E30.

Headlights as powerful as a mini maglite.

Chassis as stiff as a wet noodle.

Transmission as vague as asking your girlfriend where she wants to eat dinner.

and so on. The above list is all the things wrong with a VERY well maintained one-owner E28 535i, with records down to gas tank fill ups since 86. I'd shudder to think how bad a craigslist beater E28 would be. You can put lipstick on a pig (GC/M60) but it's still a pig.

I wouldn't get a Miata though for a DD. As fun as they are, they're really impractical. Volvo would be good, or an E36 (better...at everything), or an Integra (not rwd, but who cares, it's a DD).

My vote for reliable DD for minimal money would be a Volvo. Roland's tried to kill his and it still is going strong.
                Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

My E28 gets 30 mpg, and is reliable, and has 4 doors and head room.

But they have been absent from CL for a while now for some reason...

The E28 has generally the same rear suspension setup as an E30, except coilover type, brakes are whatever you want to make of them, they are brake discs and calipers, just like most BMWs (and upgradable w/ E32/E34 stuff), the seats are like couches, comfortable and big, steering isn't as tight because of the weird box/lever/thing.

or if you just want the cheapest, lowest maintenance DD, just get a Honda.
                  Last edited by iamsam; 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The endless battle...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Yea, non m30 cars have better mileage. Id never call one reliable though.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        Yea, non m30 cars have better mileage. Id never call one reliable though.
                        M20s are pretty reliable, from what I hear.

Comment

I don't really have a daily commute. I live on campus and even next semester I will be within walking distance. I am looking at the Miata and and a 99-04 Mustang GT. I'm not super concerned with practicality.

Comment

M20s are pretty reliable, from what I hear.
                            Reliable engine does not mean reliable car; M30s are more reliable/durable than M20s, but majority of my issues with the E28 stem around what it's like to live with one for long periods of time.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I don't really have a daily commute. I live on campus and even next semester I will be within walking distance. I am looking at the Miata and and a 99-04 Mustang GT. I'm not super concerned with practicality.
                              Neither of those will be cheaper than just fixing your E30.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                                Neither of those will be cheaper than just fixing your E30.
                                It's a little more complex of a situation than that...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X