Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. My summer tires are a set of Falken all seasons that don't have a whole lot of tread left on them any more... They certainly made the drive from Boulder to Denver a bit sketchy last night, so when I got home I finally got around to putting the snow tires on. Then I drove around a bit to see the difference, and it was a world of difference. So much grip now!

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
      Yeah. My summer tires are a set of Falken all seasons that don't have a whole lot of tread left on them any more... They certainly made the drive from Boulder to Denver a bit sketchy last night, so when I got home I finally got around to putting the snow tires on. Then I drove around a bit to see the difference, and it was a world of difference. So much grip now!
      I wouldn't keep your snow tires on too long, it won't snow again for a while, and dry pavement kills snow tires.

Comment

We...need...more...snow! I really hope this won't be a dry winter like last year.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
          We...need...more...snow! I really hope this won't be a dry winter like last year.
          yeah my line of thinking is, if it's gonna snow, it better snow.

No pansy flurries in 33 deg weather, we need a proper blizzard or no snow at all.

Comment

From a few posts back....

07 MX-5 hard top convertible grand touring so it comes with bilsteins, LSD, 6 speed, etc. 45k miles. Asking $12,000 for the next few day or it will be traded in.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
              No-go on Brent's S50B30 swap then?
              He's looking for a Sedan if he's going to do a swap.

Comment

Ahh. Why the 3L and not the 3.2 for a sedan? Seems backwards to me.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Why does the number of doors dictate the engine size?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                    Why does the number of doors dictate the engine size?
                    Cause if he's swapping an m3 engine, he might as well swap the one the car would have come with-- m3 sedans in euro lala land only came with the 3.2.

Realistically though, it doesn't matter, though with the 3.0 and 3.2 costing the same, why not go big.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The M3 Sedan came in S50B30 initially. The 3.0 is technically the better engine once you put the 3.2 parts on to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                        The M3 Sedan came in S50B30 initially. The 3.0 is technically the better engine once you put the 3.2 parts on to it.
                        O RRY?

Well i stand corrected, thought the sedans were 3.2 only.

Agreed the 3L bottom end is slightly sturdier, but for a street car it's not like it matters.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Interesting, I did not know any of these things.

Comment

Last edited by L-ucky-S-ix; 11-05-2014, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                              eh? what is interchanged?

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                              Interesting, I did not know any of these things.
                              BJ91: 888 produced
                              BJ92: 415 produced
                              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by L-ucky-S-ix View Post
                                The Direzza's Roland sold me ought to be amazing in the snow! For a snow tire I can't wait to tractor around with those 245's.
                                I accept no liability for any incidents!

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                eh? what is interchanged?

Originally posted by Alex Lipowich
                                If you're really willing to rebuild, and can find some salvage parts, here's what I'd do:

Bore out block to 86.4 if I recall, the bore for the S50B32 pistons, the last size for the 4 choices of 3.0 pistons anyway.

Get a set of B32 pistons, rods, and crank and harmonic balancer.

Shrick 284 intake cam, keep your exhaust cam as is, save some money.

Find the bottom half of a B32 cylinderhead and its throttle bodies.

Consider getting the intake trumpets off a 3.2 car too, they are shorter, more HP, and with extra displacement from stroke, you'll have more torque, some might argue to keep the 3.0 ones, and build even more torque. You could tune both ways, and compare I guess.

Find someone to retune the existing dme/vanos computers you have, they are the older chip models, easier to work with anyway.

(you mentioned the 3.2 oilpan pump upgrade, that is smart for the track.)

Add the crank pulley from S54, mill off the AC portion. Find underdrive pulley's for alternator and WP. Find someone who sells a EPS system (just kidding on that!)

Use the 1.3 head gasket from the 3.2 catalogue. Adjust redline to no more than 8k with the 3.2 cylinderhead.

Do not invest in SS headers or CF intake for starters, the gains are minimal. A proper CF intake MIGHT add 6-8 hp if you can tune for it. SS headers will cost you torque with minimal gain in HP unless you go crazy with CF intake and valve work, springs and rev past 8K. Accusump before ever considering a drysump.

How is that for starters?

Comment

Working...
                                X