X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    I still want this 2002.

I know the seller. You could probably get some parts with it and I can vouch the interior is REALLY nice blue vinyl. Body is mostly straight (a few dents on the roof, maybe one on the front turn signal area and thats about it) Needs some work, but great candidate for a project car, little to no rust.

and im at uccs for engineering. solid aerospace program, not sure what I want to do yet so im just following the path. intermediate dynamics is tough.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

^^^ little to no rust?? The car is 70% COVERED in rust, and the plated that are on it expired 23 YEARS ago!! He sent me detailed pictures.

Comment

Clear coat the rust, keep the classic plates, profit?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
          You better have a 4.0 and be a damn genius if you're thinking Mines... Also, from what I remember hearing, Mines has one of the worst Guys:Girls ratio, and it also has one of (if not THE) highest suicide rates when it comes to school because of how rigorous and shit it is...
          Um....I'm 99% sure the admission standards are nowhere near that high. You probably need above a 3.5, but a 4.0? Not even Stanford's that selective.

Mines does have a poor girls:guys ratio. No idea about the suicide rate though.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            Clear coat the rust, keep the classic plates, profit?

IF the motor is not 100% seized!!!

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
              I know the seller. You could probably get some parts with it and I can vouch the interior is REALLY nice blue vinyl. Body is mostly straight (a few dents on the roof, maybe one on the front turn signal area and thats about it) Needs some work, but great candidate for a project car, little to no rust.
              Um.....from the pictures I've seen, the car looks like it sat in a field since the tags expired 23 years ago. That's a $200 rustbucket awaiting a junkyard! I mean, seriously- the california tags expired 23 years ago, and weren't removed, nor CO plates put on, which suggest that something broke badly 23+ years ago and it sat in a field before the tags expired. The rear wheel is rusted all to hell, the body is in super bad shape, but it has a nice vinyl interior? That car is not worth the $1400 he's asking. It's a stretch at $200.

Why did the car never get new CO tags after 1987? Why were the CA tags allowed to expire without CO ones replacing it? The seller didn't seriously go to California, buy a crapbox 2002, and trailer it all the way to CO unless he got it for $100/free.99. This be a ripoff car.

I'm also unclear on how a car can be advertised as "rust free but with some surface rust." Almost as big a WTF as "I'm not sure how you can t-bone someone going the same direction you are."
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Also, notice how the paint goes from rust -> white -> splotchy spraybombed primer gray like a 14 year old's complexion? Did it have acid dumped on it daily?

Danger, Will Robinson!
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The "rust free" 2002:

(link to ad: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1952466886.html)

Comment

I was a bit hasty, the car doesn't look to have been rattlecanned. Which is a shame, because the condition of the paint proves it sat outside in the elements for many many many years. Look at how the paint has faded, changed hue, and worn off from sun damage. That car has sat in a field for decades looking for a new owner to save it. This is not a $1400 driving titleable 2002, this is a $200 'wtf should I part it?' 2002.

The purty blue seats sure are purty.....but not don't make the car worth $1400 for a clapped-out rust bucket sat-in-a-field-outdoors-for-23-years multicolored square tail non-tii.

Is it salvagable? Yes, but it's worth $200 at best. Great project car if you can get it for the right price. Which is practically $free.99.

And Downforce22-- that HARDLY qualifies as "little to no rust"
                    Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 09-17-2010, 12:27 AM.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I'd totally rock this car in a hot second, but not for $1400, that's for dang sure, and I am beginning to think this car hasn't run for many years.

but... ya never know

EDIT: If i bought this car and was seen in public driving it, I think my wife would disown me! ha ha

Comment

I would rock this bad boy all day long. Keep the body "original", remove the bumpers, drop it on some aggressive coilvers, some 14x8 diamond racing steelies, rivet-on black plastic fender flares.....
                        Should have just bought mine. Mine had most of that.

I still have a set of good snow wheels/tires for it that I'll sell ya for $100.

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        YA RLY. Know SolidWorks?
                        I have some basic knowledge of it, yes.

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                        I have heard some pretty bad things about mines too. People that went there say they purposely make it extra hard for little reward. Also remember that you might not want to stay in engineering so it might be a good idea to pick a school that has lots of degree programs.
                        Agreed, stay away from mines, unless you are an overachiever, have never gotten below 95% on a math test, and have a GPA of over 4.00.

IF the motor is not 100% seized!!!
                        It's an M10, you can get a new one for $100. Or just put an M42 in it.

EDIT: If i bought this car and was seen in public driving it, I think my wife would disown me! ha ha
                        Nonsense. If we rattle-canned it all flat black, tacked some flares on it, and changed the wheels, it would be good to go. The rear shock towers still look ok, if the trunk floor is still good, the only panel that needs serious love is that rear clip....

I got $1900 for this bad boy, and it didn't even have mirrors... Most epic fun car ever.

man i miss that thing... sometimes.

Comment

roland, you have convinced me. I want a 2002. But i can't justify spending any more than $300 for that one on CL.

Comment

roland, you have convinced me. I want a 2002. But i can't justify spending any more than $300 for that one on CL.
                            That thing isn't worth much more than $300. Find a better example. And then fuel inject it. I've got the manifold you need for that still.

And make sure your first mod is to get rid of the stock school-bus steering wheel. Transforms the entire driving experience of the car.;)

Comment

so roland, since you have 2002 experience, is it possible for a 2002 to be reliable? is that a common thing, or is a reliable 2002 an oxymoron?

Comment

so roland, since you have 2002 experience, is it possible for a 2002 to be reliable? is that a common thing, or is a reliable 2002 an oxymoron?
                                If you fuel inject it, definitely. It's basically the same motor as the M10 E30, but with a carb. running the fuel lines is the hardest part. the rest can be robbed from an E30 318, i've got the manifold if ya need it.

The factory valve-guides kinda suck though, so you may need to replace those and do a general head refresh (likely set you back $200 at the *most*). These cars are cheap to maintain.

also, if it makes a big clunk if you roll it backwards in neutral and stop it with the parking brake, it needs a right-rear hub & stub axle. Almost certainly, anyway - MOST old 02s I've come across have badly worn splines on the hub/stub. $300 or so for the hub, axle and bearings. Semi-sucky job, big force sometimes required to get the stub out of the swingarm, but good peace of mind. The right side is almost always worse than the left (which makes sense).

Ireland Engineering's "race" springs are way too low and way too soft. Dunno what they're thinking. For awesome handling IE 22mm hollow bar on the front, none on the rear. The stiffest rear springs your kidneys can handle will usually result in the best handling since you want to keep things back there from moving. Cutting the stock springs actually works well as long as you do so conservatively, that's what mine had.

regarding brakes, go to the junkyard, and grab some volvo 240 calipers. They make for a great vented front brake upgrade for a non-tii.

Comment

Working...
                                X